customer custom quilt done!!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by lisae

Wow, Heidi, that is one gorgeous quilt! Love your feathers! Are they freehand? No matter, they are beautiful!

Lisa,

Most of the feathers are freehand. I mark the spine and then go for it. All the feathers in the outside border and many of the feather wreaths are all freehand. For the big purple triangles I had a stencil and for some of the very small ones I had stencils but I would say probably 3/4's of them are freehand. I love Darlene Epp's feather workbook! I really had to kick myself in the butt to do those border feathers freehand! I was panicking that I could not get them consistant enough but I'd have to say I am glad I pushed myself.

Originally posted by lindasewsit

All's I can say is .....WOW!!!!!!!!!! this one went into my favorites!! How do you come up with these ideas? WOW!!! linda

Linda,

I'm honored to be in your favorites! As for coming up with the ideas that is usually the easier part for me for some reason. I love my stencils and try to use as many as I can. As I get better I am more comfortable with my design choices and trying new things. Most of the time I have to keep myself from getting too complicated! This has a ton of SID but it is what it needed. My customer knew she would have to pay for it but that was what she wanted too. I was glad because I think that had she wanted e2e it just wouldn't have done anything for the quilt!

Originally posted by doodlebug

BEAUTIFUL!!! WOW!

it always amazes me how quilting enhances a pieced top.

Great Job! Be proud!

did the customer do a happy dance? :)

Shannon,

I don't know if she was in a state of shock or what but she really liked it and loved the back almost as much as I did. LOL she was kind of cool at first but then gave me a hug in excitement! I guess that means she loved it :P! I really did have fun with the quilting and it was only on the frame 5 days. Mind you for me that is fantastic because I work full-time and I didn't have a complete 8 hour day on the weekend like I usually do. I worked about 3 hours a day on it.

Robin,

When I started this one I decided in order to keep it all pulled together that I would have to try to be consistant in quilt density and style. I decided first that in all the background areas that I would stipple so each block has a little stippling in it. Then on the 9-patch or 4-patch blocks I did cc's. Finally I tried to put some kind of feather design in each block so that it would pull the feathers from the outside in. The big triangles I used the cross hatching to pull the two different design together. I wanted the ones in the green area to frame the block and the feather design in the dark purple to draw the eye around the big outside star. I did not decide on what to quilt in each sampler block until I got to them. I would decide the whole row as I rolled the quilt. I marked this one as I went which was nice. Usually I try to mark prior to loading and then have to mark again as I go to give me good lines. I'm glad it worked well on this one.

Oh, Heidi! I'm inspired again... I've had my Christmas exchange quilt on the machine since before Thanksgiving and I just keep looking at it. I usually know before I start what I want to do and maybe I should write it down, because when I get to far into it I just forget what I planned!

I am completely impressed with your progress and with all the beautiful quilts you have done. And to think we started at about the same time! Although I was never a good freehand quilter on my DSM - I just did sid.

You are gonna win lots of awards!!! I am sooo proud of you!

Bobbi you are too kind but I am not good at freehand! I'm not comfortable with it either! LOL I always mark targets with chalk first and I love when I have a stencil that works. I'm getting better at the freehand and one day I want to quilt like DeLoa and Jessica and I don't think I'll ever be able to do the unbelievable things that Sue Patten does! You can do it!!!

Archived