I'm Beating it into Submission

I was sitting here today, and suddenly thought, OH NO, I just finished one quilt with 1/4" high seam joints.. what about the other 4 quilts she sent.. went and looked, and pretty much the same thing. The back wasn't pressed, open, to the side or just flat. tried the iron, didn't work, spray water, then iron.. nope.

Got a smoothe block of wood, several hand sized pieces of various batting scraps, and went to work. spread the seam open, sprayed it down, put a couple layers of batting over the top, and gave it 2 or 3 good smacks with the hammer, and now I have nice flat, AND undamaged seams..

The other quilt was so bad I couldn't hardly get a straight nor planned curved line anywhere near the center of the trouble block. Wi'sh I'd remembered Eleanor Burns friend, Matty, telling her about doing this.. and used it before now..

that troll under the bridge goaded me into it.

RitaR

Hi Rita. You should try "The Wacker". It is used to beat those bulky seams into submission. I bought one at AQS last October and I've used it on several quilts.

It's kinda like a rubber mallet. What you do is steam the pesky seam, give it a good wack, them press it again. It works wonders.

The one I have says it is from Harvest House Quilting.

Debbi

Omg Heidi, thanks for another idea for tortures.. Debbi.. I didn't know they had such a thing, but I think the clapper would probably do much the same.. just fun to swing that hammer and hear the THwaack it gives.. Will check out the Whacker at Harvest House Quilting.

RitaR

Wish I would have thought of that on the quilt I just finished. It is a denim quilt...and some of the places where the seams come together, my hopping foot won't even go over them! But it's done now and the customer is picking it up Monday. Sure reinforced my decision to give up quilting for customers! :o

Yep, been there, done that! I had the quilt from *#ll about a month ago. The woman who made the top is in her 70's. It was columns of flying geese with machine applique in the columns between. Leaves of different kinds. She FORGOT you can use steam-a-seam or some other method to glue down the leaves BEFORE you attempt to sew them. They were awful! Puckered, puffy, outa shape. I steamed, I pressed, I beat!! Nothing helped. Finally, I just quilted the you-know-what outa it. It looked 100% better (if you didn't look close) when it was done. Her comment was, "Wow! You certainly improved that quilt!" She knew it was awful to start with.

I reminded her about steam-a-seam. She admitted she totally forgot about it and knew the applique was a mess.

Forget the coffee or tea..........this one required a glass of wine!

Debbi,

ROFLMAO! I thought the same thing as Tracey. Were allowed to beat the quilt?!

I NEVER EVER heard of a tool made for a quilt with bulky seams.

Leave it to Debbi and her wonderful ideas. Debbi, you just never cease to amaze me

with your suggestions. Your mind is jam packed with quilting info. LOVE IT!

Hugs,

Sheri

I checked out Harvest House Quilting they sell the "wacker" and donate $1 of each sell to Breast Cancer Research.

Nancy's Notions also sell it. Love this site I would never had thought about wacking a quilt "into shape" Now let's see we steam, starch and wack or is that wack, starch and steam!!! Bring on those odd shaped quilts. LOL:P

Archived