Questions for Those Who Have a Computerized System

Persephannie

Was it worth the extra 15-20 thousand dollars? I would like to start a business one day, but find that I really struggle to find time to quilt and when I do, I feel like I'm ruining my good piecing jobs is mediocre quilting. Also, have you been able to locate some sashiko patterns for the computerized system? Can you do a whole cloth with a computer system? What about SID? Is it easier to just do it with a ruler? Thanks for letting me pick your brains!

Tanya

Hi Tanya

Having a computerised machine means you can quilt designs that are perfectl in shape and the stitches are a consistent length so straight away you can produce professional results. You could begin earning your investment back in just a few hours.

I do almost all my quilting with my computerised system and get more quilts done in the same amount of time. If you are quilting edge to edge you simply set up the row and let the machine do the work. Some people walk away from their systems to do something else, others stay close and do handwork, bookwork or watch TV. Placing a motif in a block is quicker - size the block to fit the first space, move to the next space and if the piecing is a little "off" just resize the motif with a few clicks of the mouse to centre it in the space, rotate it or stretch to fit. You can even tell your computer to move to the next space after completing each block.

You can purchase sashiko patterns but you can also draw them up with the software that usually comes with computerised systems.

Yes you can create a wholecloth and see it on the screen before quilting each pass.

I find stitch in the ditch to be a little quicker by hand.

I have my computerised system on my stitch regulated Milli so my stitches are always perfect when doing stitch in the ditch, perhaps some of your disappointment at the moment is because you don't have a stitch regulator, so don't be discouraged. Its hard to keep the stitches a consistent length when doing s-i-d on a non stitch regulated machine - especially on diagonals, into points and around applique.

Check this forum for special pricing on Millis and Freedom SRs and watch for Quilt Studio announcements. Also, contact APQS to get a copy of their written information on starting a business, it will give you an idea of how many quilts you will need to complete to recoup your investment .

Best wishes

sue in Australia

I have had my machine 2 years (I quilted 3 years at a local quilt shop before that) and finally got an IQ in October. If I were you, I'd get some freehand down first because you just might not take the time to learn it if you start out with computer. The computer takes longer to stitch out than when I do freehand but I get to do some of my own piecing while the machine stitches as well as get some laundry and cooking and cleaning done, so in the end I save quite a bit of time.

I do about 1/2 time computer and 1/2 time freehand. Computers are really nice for those really detailed designs and there are some real beauties out there. I was able to pay for the IQ with what I earned during my non-computer days so I felt justified in getting it. It is a wonderful tool for designing as well. You can get an idea what it will look like before you actually stitch so you can change your mind without frogging.

Would I do it again? Yes, in a heartbeat.

Hi Tanya,

Good questions...

finding time to quilt - only you can figure out if you'll be able to get/find more "time" for quilting...it is a fine balancing act between life and working at home. I wish somedays that there was more time in a day to quilt too. There is a learning curve with a computerized system, so finding time to learn it will be added to your day. Having said that, once you are familiar with your system, you will get through some quilts in a fraction of the time required to do them freehand, especially pantos, so you will then be able to either save time or use your quilting time more effectively by multitasking.

cost - for me, yes it was worth the expense...the perfection I can achieve is awesome. As Sue said... professional results almost immediately, very, very cool. Would I do it again? Yes, in a hearbeat. I love computerized quilting and the results I get with it. If you can afford it, why not do it, especially if you are planning on going into business...a computerized system is like your personal assistant.

Again, as Sue above mentioned...yes you can buy sashiko patterns and you can also draw them up and you can do a wholecloth.

SID - I do my SID with a ruler/freehand as I find I am faster doing it that way. I have stitch regulated machines too, so SID is a breeze. (I enjoy doing ruler work).

If you are needing any info brochures or want more info on computerized systems, feel free to call/email me as I'd be happy to answer any questions you have or contact one of the reps in your area...Bev Seguna (250) 558-5503 or Carol Gardner.

Cheers, Nadia

Tanya,

That sure is an important decision to make!

To help you make that decision, spend one hour of your time to do the following:

Digitize a quilt pattern :)

First spend about 30 minutes of your hour to watch all tutorial movies on page:

http://www.pre-designstudio.com/tutorials.htm

Then download and install the trial version of Pre-Design Studio, and draw your first quilting pattern:

open a background image (for example a photo of a quilt or an image of a type of pattern you want to use), take the curve tool and trace the pattern in the order in which you want your machine to sew. Tracing is just clicking from point to point, not many points needed, and double-click to end a line. You want to draw a continuous line pattern, to avoid starts and stops.

Editing the lines is done by taking the Select tool and selecting and moving the points.

Then choose menu File > Export as DXF and save on your computer. This DXF can be opened in CompuQuilter, but also in the new APQS Studio.

That's it: you will get better in drawing when you practice more of course. But the most important thing is that you will have seen how easy it is to create your own patterns.

In Pre-Design Studio it doesn't take much time to digitize and that way you can offer your customers patterns that match their own quilts.

Oh, and spend the last 10 minutes of your hour to browse through the patterns on http://www.longarmpatterns.com

All patterns in the store were made with Pre-Design!

There are lots of free patterns there too.

Good luck with your new business - You willl love it!

Loes

Teaching schedule:

http://www.pre-designstudio.com/workshops.htm

Love Computerized Quilting. It gives you so much room for creativity.

My advice is to speak with other owners of their systems and way in on all the available systems. They all have wonderful features and some even more than others.

There is much about Computerized Quilting I wish I had known before purchasing. I had no idea that I would want to do so much more with it. It is so fun to do. Also get a dealer that understands computerizied quilting and knows their system. ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS!! If you are not certain what questions to ask other owners will be glad to help with that regardless of system. Where will you get the best support to use your systems. Remember once you purchase it is the other users you will turn to for suggestions and ideas. The dealers are awesome but sooner or later they move on and it is your Computerized System community that you will rely on to grow and get NEWER and creative ideas from. The quilting community loves to share so consider where that might be.

In the beginning I thought I could never get my wholecloth layed out and it have all the accuracy that I wanted. I have learned that Wholecloth can not only be achieved but achieved with perfection like no other. It's all in the technique of placing designs and how you go about it. But HEY it is FUN FUN FUN.

I find that my system has made me lots of money and more than paid for itself. It was money WELL spent. It is all about what you want from the system and your expectations. Good luck and happy quilting.

Hugs,

Grammie Tammie

Definitely worth it for many reasons!

I do think it's wise to get some freehand experience or you will tend not to get good enough. That said, there are so many wonderful designs that stitch out like a dream an d make you look like supoer quilter right away, why wait?

I had my machine about 6 months before I added CompuQuilter. Love it.

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I really like this forum and the people who "live" here. I'm going to stick with my Ult II for now, but I'm sure that I will get a computerized system in the future. I, too, like the perfection that computer quilting can offer. I guess I'd better start saving (for like the next 10 years). :)

Tanya

Archived