Update on CL Pushbutton Crosshatching

circlelord

• 2 months later...

I ordered the crosshatch "pick-it-up thingy" before we went to Calfornia last year. It has been sitting in the box all this time. I talked to Michael yesterday and he asked me if I had installed it yet? I had to admit I hadn't. Well, they cut power off here because of the tree trimming so it was a perfect time to install it. I always think I'm going to have problems installing things but the little unit went on extremely easy. (pictures were included). How fun!! I usually put whatever I'm working on as close to the back as possible so I can reach the stylus. I could get pretty close on getting the next stitching close but this is little "thingy" is so fun and accurate. NO MORE STRETCHING!! (hmmm, of course that was all the exercise I ever got). This little thing and I are going to become great friends. Give it a try. I have 2 more quilts to do before I can get to the one I want to put crosshatching on.;)

Oh yeah!! I forgot to mention that I also ordered the 2 larger crosshatch template. I have the zig-zag that I use for crosshatching but these are smaller. I got the regular 1 inch crosshatch and the 1 inch diamond shape. These are the 48inch wide templates. I already have the 18 but these will be easier for larger areas.

Carol,

The table height on the back of the machine hits me at my thigh. The top roller is just about my waist...there is still a good 2 1/2 feet of me to go past that point :D:P Then there are the arms...(you should see my toes!:P:D Talk about orangutan:P).

Speaking of that...I was in Wal-Mart one day and 2 little old ladies found a Christmas wreath on the top shelf and looked at me. Soooo, I reached up - and I had to stretch - handed them the wreath, and both of them wrinkled up their noses and said, "No!" - at the same time. They almost wore that wreath home! :P

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I am tall enough to look over my rails from the back of the table. Also, I have orangutan arms that can reach anything I need to :)

MB my friend--I believe the term to describe you is "willowy". Yep, I'm goin' with that one!;)

Mary Beth - Do you have your table as low as it will go???? Don't you get a back ache working that way? My machine is as low as it can go and Bob made me a walkway for the front of the machine that is 4" high. My machine in the back is at hip height so it's not too bad and I have been doing the crosshatch from in back. Thank goodness I have a good eye and can pretty much hit the line but this switch will sure help I'm sure. Those ladies were just plain rude. The least they could have done is thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Carol,

Like my wheels, I have a hard time getting the table where I want it. It was normal height, but I was having pain, so had DH riase it. After working with it higher, I found that I still had pain. Come to find out, I just have pain no matter what I do. I put it back down....probably still not as low as your machine :) but lower than it was. Remeber I have really long legs, so even if it is hitting me at my thigh on the back of the table, it is still considered high to some people. I think I like it where it is now.

As for pain, I finally caved in and went to the doctor. He loaded me down with pain killers and muscles relaxers and I start PT on Friday. I have had shoulder surgery, and am trying to avoid another one at all costs.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

The push button can be used on templates on the back table

to lift the stylus from the front.

It is mainly used with the set of 48" crosshatch and Diamond

giant templates. If you have the CL on the back table, you would use it with all the 18" square templates.

I can be use to a limited extent with the Zig Zag, clams and

some others.

If you have the Front Stylus on a Milli, then you would use it

only with the 48" sets and the Giant templates.

Take a look at the blog http://pbtwocrosshatchtemps.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Micheal

CJ,

Your questions is a good one.

The pushbutton is real crosshatch. I is good for overall crosshatching and Block work over applique .When you advance you have to meet the ends of the diagonals that you did before.

The Zig Zag gives the illusion of crosshatch. It is fast, but you have to watch that the quilt is advancing evenly. Most users

have no problem using the ZZ for crosshatching overall, but

it may not be the best for working over applique. The Zig Zag

has a great many other pattern choices.

Maybe Georgene, or someone else who has the ZZ can answer, as well. Others with the PB can tell us their story.

Except for Marie, who had a connector problem. We are fixing that. ;)

Cheers,

Michael

CJ - Is your name CJ? Anyway, I have the giant zigzag boards and I just went through a similar dilemma (Michael can attest to that) of whether to get the crosshatch system, or the smaller 18" crosshatch boards that I could use from the front. So you see? You even have another option!

I like my zigzag giant template. It was one of the first boards I got - along with the swirls. The zigzag board can be used for all-over or border crosshatching, but as Michael said, you have to line up the points when you advance the quilt so I think that the crosshatch system would be easier if that is all you want to do. I haven't used them for crosshatching yet, but I've used them for just plain wavy or zigzag lines (this goes really fast) across the quilt or a customer favorite - a double wave pattern that looks like a double chain link - I think the pattern is called Two Lips.

I went to see Michael planning to get the push button thingy and small 18" crosshatch templates, but when I got there I decided on the front stylus system instead, so that I could work on my smaller templates, like the Aztec, from the front of the machine. And the front system with the 18" templates will be great for crosshatching around applique blocks and most of my crosshatching needs. I got the 5/8" crosshatch, the 1/2" currved crosshatch, and the tiles template.

At some point I might still get the full crosshatch system, but I think I pretty much have all my options coverved now, so that can wait.

CJ,

Michael is correct. The large Zig Zag template is great for doing an entire quilt or large borders (you don't have to turn the quilt), but if you're doing a lot of applique blocks, the cross hatch system would be my choice. It's the real thing.

I don't have it yet, but maybe one day.

Archived