featherweight binding foot

Hi all~

I've been trying to put binding on with my featherweight and other domestic machine instead of doing it by hand. While I don't mind doing it by hand, time is an issue.

I discovered there is an accesory binding foot for featherweights. Just wondering if anyone has used this foot and if you recommend buying it.

There's got to be a way to do it by machine and HAVE IT LOOK GOOD TOO.

I've printed out "Barb's Way" but don't own the feet that are used for this method. Also Barb, what is the purpose of the cotton cord?

Thanks in advance of any ideas and tips.

Bonnie

I have a binding foot for the featherweights but I haven't tried it. I got an off-brand binding foot for my Bernina and didn't have much luck with it. I think my problem is I got one for wider binding than I'm used to doing.

I still do a lot of my bindings on the machine using Sharon Shamber glue basting method.

I use my walking foot and put bindings on all the time, only by machine. Attach the binding to the BACK of the quilt. Then, roll the binding over to the front side and stitch. With practice you can get your stitch line to show only on the back of the quilt(just below the binding on the back), not wandering over the back binding and quilt back. I use a 2 inch binding so it is nice and tight.

I have been in pursuit of the "magical binding" foot/attachment? What I found was that the majority of feet and attachments do not work for quilt size bindings. I even tried the Martelli products but couldn't get them to work like the demos (go figure)!!!

Archived