New Years Swap Confession

PattyJo

I have a confession to make - Because I was just sure that this block was from the 30's era, I didn't look up the block that I decided to make, I just made it - ALL 16 OF THEM ARE DONE- and I decided when I was re-reading the rules that I needed to look up what time frame it was from. Well, I'm off by 40 years. It was first made in the 1890's. Do I need to make new blocks? Will you forgive me and let me use these? Will you still let me play? I'm so mad at myself. If I had just done a little homework first - Let me know what you think. :o

Hi Patty,

I'm sure that some lovely quilter whipped up a quilt out of your block in the 1930's with groovy 30's fabrics so that makes it legal ;) Most of the blocks in my big block book are the same old blocks from waybackwhen and people just renamed them. I'm impressed that you have them all done! You work mighty fast.

Cheers

Satu

If it was made in the 1890's I am sure that by the 1930's it was a tried and tested old favourite.

I say just be happy that you have been able to get all your blocks finished.

You are on my list so I hope you like the block I am sending to you

What lovely surprises the postie will bring in the New Year????

VG, I went and did a google search of the block name with "history' behind it, and that's how I found out. There is a site that it sent me to where you can search out each block name and when it was first on the quilting scene.

To you others quilters that are so forgiving, thank you for giving me the OK. I hope that all the others think the same. I was just sure that the quilting police would lock me up in the bedding department of Macy's or Target or somewhere. Now I know that may be extreme, but I have this tendency to be way to litteral and try and follow all the rules.

I wouldn't have chosen this block if I had done my research first, but I know that I've seen many 30's fabrics used in making this block. Anyway, here is a pic of my "mini bow tie" block all finished except for the signing.

<a  href=2019680640094956607S500x500Q85.jpg' alt=

Also a good resource for this is a book that you can actually see in the Libary...in the resources department.

Its written by Barbara Brackman and called "Encyclopedia Of Pieced Quilt Patterns"

If you have a question regarding a certain pattern I also have this book...it pretty much lives by the computer so if your not sure and if the book has the answer I will be more than happy to help. Not all of the blocks are dated....but a good share are.

Alot of the patterns that I find are sometimes named one thing but if you change the name it would fit in the catagory.

I can't remember what Dory wanted to use, but I found an exact block with a different name that would fit in the time frame....

Edie McGinnis says my block was published in the 30's in the Kansas City Star. I don't know the history, but I'm guessing that that block was "invented" well before the 30's. I'm using 30's reproduction fabric and that's what makes it legal. Patty Jo, I'm glad you did it! Never mind the history thing. I love your mini-30's quilt. I'd be mighty proud to have one in my quilt. Lucky ones on your list!:)

Archived