Danger, stay away from the peanut butter area.....

Eggs in a Nest, Fried egg sandwiches, PB&J, banana and mayo with sugar sprinkled on the banana all on white bread (Southern expression). Oh, and my personal favorite---grilled cheese and cream of tomto soup on a cold Saturday! WOW. Makes me nostalgic for my childhood. It really was a simpler time then.

SOS - yum - but my mother would add peas. I add peas and onions!!!! Also - no one has mentioned fried bologna sandwiches - of course on cheap yummy white bread - remember - FRY in butter or lard! Love the grilled cheese and tomato soup - great on a cold day ........... I alway add a pinch of pepper and garlic to the soup, and mayo to the grilled cheese & then toast/fry in butter.

Don't have the cheap bread at home - but have cheap hot dog buns - I think I need a fried hot dog on a cheap bun for dinner - I do split my dogs and fry them in butter until they are a little burned ..........

How many more unhealthy wonderful dishes can we list - this is fun and it seems that most of us who have been around awhile have had them all and still love them - I'm HUNGRY!!!!!

My mom used to make 'bologna boats' for our kids when they were little. Put a slice of bologna on a plate, top with a slice of chesse, then nuke it for about 20 seconds and the bologna curls up to hold the melted cheese in the boat. Kids would have to watch it curl up. We were also fed butter & sugar sandwiches growing up.

April, when I was a kid "nuking it" was what we were in constant fear of the Russians doing to us! We had to practice "duck and cover" drills at school. We always joked that the procedure was to tuck your head up between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye...:D

My mom didn't get a microwave until I was long gone, but when she did, she'd cook whatever she could in it, even if it was lots more trouble than the stove, and tasted like drywall plaster.

One of her favorites was scrambled eggs. Personally, I prefer eggs cooked in the hot grease in the skillet produced by the bacon you just finished frying.

And Bonnie, I'm with you. My dad used to fry balogna, and it was the worst smell - and taste - I can remember growing up.

mrmargie

My husband likes grease gravy made with the hot bacon grease. Basically you try to get all the rest of breakfast ready, pull the last piece of bacon out of the skillet, then pour a cup of coffee in the grease and jump back....it sizzles and pops everywhere. Then pour it over bread or drop biscuits. Toss leftover or you will have a mess. Hardened grease over cold coffee. Yuck.

Originally posted by lym95

...Personally, I prefer eggs cooked in the hot grease in the skillet produced by the bacon you just finished frying.

mrmargie

Me, too! That's the way my daddy fried eggs for us girls when we were little. Yum!

PS: I just bought me a big brand new jar of PEANUT BUTTER at the store (the good stuff you have to stir...Adams) And now I have to decide over the many recipes in which to eat it!

Something else that is good...ham and cheese sandwiches with butter and mustard...dipped in egg batter...then smashed Lay's potato chips...then fried in a frying pan till cheese is melted. Yum. I think I will make these for dinner tonight.

Did I mention I was scared to go down the peanut butter aisle with all the flavors they have now?!? I think I will just avoid the store altogether. ;)

Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich on any type of bread. I can see your faces all twisted in disgust, but you will be surprised how yummy this combination is. My husband introduced me to these early in our marriage. I would even try it for several years, but once I did, they became a favorite. He just introduced our 8 y.o. GD Riley to peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches last month. She loves them too!

Archived