I should Have Known Better...

Sunimp

I haven't been feeling well for what seems like forever, but has actually only been about 5 weeks. My poor machine has been sadly neglected, so today I thought I would try quilting a small quilt that has been loaded on it for ages.

I was oiling the bobbin area and very stupidly on my part got the batting that I was using to wipe the oil off my fingers caught in the bobbin area. As soon as it wrapped around the bobbin assembly, the machine stopped. It didn't chug, or struggle - just stopped immediately. The needle didn't break and I was able to unwind the batting and get it all out.

Problem is, now my machine won't run. The lights are on but nobody's home! The buttons all seem to work and light up, but I can't get the machine to run - not in manual or stitch regulated mode.

I replaced the fuse, I've unplugged the machine I've tried giving it a little help turning it manually, but nothing.

Any ideas what else I could try?

I don't have a machine that uses a fuse, so this will sound maybe stupid. But is there a right or wrong way to put the fuse in....or is it one of those dumby safe methods....only one way?

Also do the lights come on at all or is it just needle....like I said I don't have a Millie or a machine that uses fuses so just guessing here.

No such thing as a dumb question Bonnie and I need all the suggestions I can get right now. My DH who knows EVERYTHING, assures me the fuse is in the right way.

All the lights come on - it just doesn't seem like any power is getting to the head - the thread cutter doesn't work, the needle up/down doesn't work and the machine just won't 'run'. The stitch length lights are working though and the lights on top which show when the channel locks are on, etc. all appear to be working.

Looks like I'll have to wait until morning and give APQS a call.

Irene...I have left a voice mail on BarbM's phone...maybe she will get this and be able to help you. She is really handy with the machines and has gone through the advance maintance classes at the home office. Hang in there someone will be here soon I'm sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Irene,

I did this on Friday. I was cleaning out the bobbin assembly and had just sprayed in the oit when I went to wipe the excess off. Stupid, the machine was running, and then it to went into a dead stop. I had blown the fuse and I turned off the machine and called APQS. They called me back and said aside from changing the fuse I now need to retime the machine. They emailed me the directions to do that. I spend Sat getting what I thought were all the right screw drivewrs. I mean Home Depot had them for $15.00 and they had a cool canvas case to keep them in . Better and Better. I re watched the maintainence video that came with Mai Linn and after a huge peptalk that included a lot of Yes, you Can!, I went down to the studio and began.

First thing I0've done is0. to try to remove the clear plastic cover over the bobbin area. I have now successfully stripped the screw, without removing the face plate. Way to go ,,,,,, Now I'm off to find a stubby 1/8 flat head screw driver and to pray to the repair Gods that they will be nice, after all it's Sunday.

What I really want to tell you, is that more than empathy, I feel your pain.

If you'd like me to email you the instructions I got, just let me know.

Abigail

Abigail, one of the first things I bought not long after I got my machine was a Stubby after doing exactly what you did - stripping the screw that held the plate on.

It does give me some comfort to know that I'm not the only person that has done this but I'm just so mad at myself for being so stupid.

Another lesson learned - turn the machine off before you get anywhere near it with a cloth!

Irene,

yes we will be white too and it is really coming down! We have snow in the forecast for the next 6 days so that will be 9 days worth! Any chance this is it until Spring? LOL one can ask you know!

Try giving John Mitchell a call. He always seems to have the right technical help:

Technician for Country Lane Quilting Sales/Service Representative for APQS and CompuQuilter.

2008 APQS Millennium, and a 2008 Millennium with CompuQuilter.

Website http://www.countrylanequilting.com

email countrylanequilting@mail.com

Studio 816-350-2002

Fax 816-350-0030

Irene,

I see you are in Canada....when you purchased your machine was it CSA approved? If so, there is another fuse that you may need to replace. There is a fuse in the drawer area by the on/off switch (all machines regardless of where they are going, I believe have this one) and then there is the motor fuse (on CSA machines for Canada) in the round button/knob just under the on/off switch for the CSA machines. This location is where my fuses are on my 2006 Millie...I believe the fuse location on the new 2008 Millies may have changed. Try replacing this fuse before the other one. You can buy these fuses at any " The Source" stores (Radio Shacks)...make sure you buy the slow blow fuse, bring in the old one with you to match it up.

Nadia, I think you are on to something. My machine is a 2008 and is CSA approved. I did have a 2007 which APQS upgraded for me when the 2008s were CSA approved, but they didn't send me a new manual so I can't find the location of that other fuse. There isn't a round button/knob under my on/off switch.

Do you, or anyone else, have any idea where the other fuse is? Both DH and I have searched and can't find another fuse.

Irene,

I will put a call into my handy dandy helpers at APQS and see if I can locate where they put the CSA fuse on the 2008 Millies. I will let you know asap.

You can also try calling your local dealer and see if they have a 2008 CSA approved Millie and ask them to look on their machine.

More than likely the fuse is located under the top cover, at least that is where the motor fuse is on my 2008 CSA Lenni, it took me a while to locate it too, but I did. The fuse is probably located somewhere near the new location of the on/off switch and there probably is a little tag (clear label with black printing) next to it with the fuse info on it.

Irene,

Have a look under the top cover...AND...the New 2008 CSA approved Millies have a total of 3 fuses! There are two fuses under the top cover, they are both 2 amp slow blow, and one on the outside by the on/off switch. If your lights are coming on then the fuse to the motor needs replacing. You will find this fuse under the top cover between the motor and the white box. If you have any problems locating the fuse, please call Christie at APQS 1-800-426-7233, I just got off the phone with her and she can walk you through locating it.

Please let me know once you are back up and running, or if you need more help.

I did the same thing, only worse! My rag was across the carridge rails, flipped up and caught in the bobbin while the machine was running. It wound up so tight it took me more than an hour sitting under the machine to cut it all out. I blew the fuse. I'd only had the machine for about a month and was terrified I wrecked it!

I changed the fuse, watched the maintenence dvd about a hundred times, then bravely re-timed the machine. Took me the better part of a day, but I was finally back in business. And very relieved!!

Archived