Thread Jumping out of Check Spring!

njquiltergirl

Hi.

Every now and then a weird thing happens. I can usually just re-thread and go but it can be annoying to keep your eye on the thread path while stitching.

Seems my Rainbows thread kept poping out of the check spring. I had used it on two quilts and all was well. By the last two rows of the last quilt, it kept coming out from behind the check spring and making messy stitches...or getting caught on the front cover and then breaking.

What am I missing...what am I doing wrong?:o

Should I call Amy at the factory?:)

Thanks!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all.;)

Lisa

APQS Liberty (about 1 1/2 years old)

Lisa, I am guessing but perhaps your spool or cone of thread is twisting a bit?. Try turning the cone or thread in the opposite direction, or upside down and let it spool off that way. See if that works.

I lightly stuffed a little chunk of batting in the thread guide that is directly above the spool holder in back and that helps tame it a bit.

You also might (just for curiosity) try a completely different spool of thread.

Hi.

Thanks for the replies!

No, no thread net.

All was well for about an hour with it as-is. Clean, well-oiled machine, purring along well. I'll try the batting in the first guide. I do not think I want to adjust the tension since it was perfect until then, unless someone thinks it can change as you quilt??!

Yikes!

Lisa

Check to see if your 3-hole thread guide on the side of the machine right above your tension control is at an 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock angle (when looking at the side cover directly)...if it has worked it's way down below a 45 degree angle, the thread will work it's way out of the tension discs while you are quilting, causing the tension to go haywire - possibly causing the jumping thread problems. That guide is really a screw with a funny 'head', so if it has worked it's way down, you can lift up on the bottom of it to 'tighten' the screw, moving the thread guide to the required angle.

Also, keep the humidity level up a little more in the winter to avoid static electricity problems - cotton will be more susceptible to this type of problem, but static and thread aren't the best of friends!

Hope you have a Great Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!!:D

If you remove the phillips head screw that is on the side cover right above the 3-hole thread guide, you may be able to get that guide to do a full revolution clockwise (tighter) and it will keep it's place easier...otherwise, a small piece of duct tape on the side cover will give that guide something to 'grab' onto, or adding a small plastic spacer like the ones on the back cover can help it tighten down a bit easier...we have spacers here, in case you want to get one when you order supplies next time - guess that might be a little prettier than the duct tape idea, but whatever works!!;) Call me if you have questions....

Archived