Keeping Time when Quilting

Do any of you keep up with the time you are working a quilt? If so, would you please share how you do it. Do you keep time with a stopwatch, regular clock, pen and paper?

If you are using a stopwatch, what brand/kind are you using? Is it attached to your machine?

I am doing some research and would like to know what everyone is doing.

Thanks so much.

Sandra

I take a rough estimate. I know I chat way too much, and I have to go to the kitchen for nibbles far too often. DH needs me intermittently and my cousin and grandkids calls me occasionally. If I tried to use a stop watch, or other timer, it would not be accurate--I'd forget to turn if off. I try instead to time sections and then estimate how long it takes to do the quilt.

I use a kitchen timer that has a stop watch feature. It resets to zero every 100 minutes so I have to pay attention to that. At the end of 100 minutes, I mark it down on the customer invoice.

I can only get to the front of the machine from one side of my frame and that is where I set the timer (it is magnetic).

This way, if I stop to take a potty break, or mail break, or email break, or ball throwing to the labs break, or a food break, I can stop it on the way past.

It cost me probably 10 dollars at Target. Works for me! ;)

I have an old fashioned clock with hands not digital; when I start quilting, I just plug it in and when I leave the room, I unplug it. This way it keeps continuous time for that particular quilt. I did this for several quilts last year and it was amazing how long it took me for some of them. Another long-arm friend charges by the hour and I found my numbers were not far off from charging the inch or by the hour.

Sharon

I use my watch, I only do pantos now so I will keep track of how long it takes me to do a row (advancing quilt, rewind bobbin etc..)and then figure out how many rows I need to do on the quilt based on the size of the panto and the length of the quilt. It gives me a pretty good estamate on how long I will be diung the quilt. However I only use this for my own time management per day and not to charge per quilt, I charge per square inch.

I, too, use a kitchen timer, basically to take a break to avoid back ache or shoulder pain, depending on how "intense" my quilting is. If I am doing a panto, its alright, but if I am doing custom work like today, I need breaks. I also like to see how much time I spend doing custom work.

I love the CD idea!!! I got an IPOD for Xmas, so perhaps that will be my new way to measure time spent.