Jelly Roll Quilt

I used 3 jelly rolls to make 2 of these quilts, One lap size and the other is twin size.

Yes, I was sooooo tired of sewing strips after these 2 projects.

Corey

APQS Millenium

Sister, Sister

Longarm Quilting

post--13461900966506_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Corey

I used 3 jelly rolls to make 2 of these quilts, One lap size and the other is twin size.

Yes, I was sooooo tired of sewing strips after these 2 projects.

Corey

APQS Millenium

Sister, Sister

Longarm Quilting

post--13461900965987_thumb.jpg

I haven't been out much and I was wondering about those jelly roll quilts. Are they all just strips sewn and cut at different angles? That would be a bit tedious after a while. I like the way yours turned out--looks vintage. Good for you for finishing it. I can't see the quilting detail very well. How about a close-up?

Jelly rolls are cool for all sorts of projects. One project I am working on is making Roman Shades for my studio with Moda's Wildrose jelly rolls. Yep, it is boring sewing 40 strips together but I can already see that I am going to love the shades. I even added some of the Moda twill tape between a couple of the strips. I will post a picture when I am finished.

Marti Michell has some templates that are specifically packaged to use with 2 1/2" strips.

I find that most of my customers like the precut jelly rolls, charm packs, sweet rolls and now turn-overs to use for smaller projects as opposed to large quilts. However, I do have one customer that will buy 7 or more charm packs to make a quilt. I thin k it might be less expensive to buy yardage. I will have to do some research to see which is better.

I do find as a shop owner that I am able to carry a larger variety with the pre-cuts. I can get all of Moda's fabric lines with pre-cuts and supplement with 3 -7 bolts for borders and backings. It is impossible for smaller quilt shops to carry every sku of fabric in every line. Moda really works hard for the independent quilt shop. I must how much I appreciate that. As a machine quilter, I would not survive without local quilt shops. I do own my on retail shop but I get business from the other shops in town and from around the state.

Ok I guess I got off the subject a little!!

Sandra

Cory - your quilt is so fun and so old fashioned looking - couldn't see the quilting in the picture so I can only comment on the wonderful scrappy look.

Jelly rolls, charms packs & layer cakes are all fun. Get all the fabrics from a design line, color grouping, style, whatever, in small, very usable amounts and have at it. Keeps the stash from getting too out of hand........... or at least I like to tell myself that! I have made several and each quilt is different. When I get one of these groups I often select one or 2 of the group and buy additional fabric for borders and backing, etc. They go together fairly quickly and make wonderful gifts. I think my favorite was the asian braid I posted a couple of weeks ago - did the braids and then went out shopping for the sashing, borders, and backing. The black and white jelly rolls are fun when you add one more color (I tend to go for red). Samuri Blocks is often done in this combination - have done it myself and was fun. By using the jelly rolls in combination with other fabrics, the endless patterns emerge and they don't get boring.

Thanks everyone for your comments, yes that is me in the picture with a very bad hair day.

I tried my best to show the quilting but it won't. We are away from home so I could not take pictures with closer, detailed quilting. I am fairly new in posting pictures, and not so sure yet of how tos.

I used an all over pantograph by Jodi Beamish I think, Whirleygig, one of my favorites.

I love Jelly rolls, it gives you a very scrappy effect (that makes them think you work hard) without spending much time precise cutting.

Like Meg, I love to work with Jelly Rolls, this one is Mary Englebreit's, Friends and Flowers by Moda. The pattern is from a real book, Jelly Roll Quilts by mother and daughter team, Lintott is their last name, they are from England, the book is published here in the states. It has a lot of traditional quilt patterns using Jelly Rolls plus extra yardage for borders, really fun.

I made Linda Card (Yes, Ramona Quilter) a jelly roll Quilt Bag from a pack of Jelly Roll, the pattern is from this book also. The bag is very handy for "Show and Tell Quilts", how about a picture of your bag Miss Linda?

Those little square charm packs at the Quilt Shops are fabulous to mix with Jelly Rolls, Cozy Quilts in San Diego has a "Stripping Club", naughty ha? But they have a lot of these projects. We are visiting FIL, right now, here in Columbus area where DH is from, Red Rooster Quilt shop carry a huge selection of these Jelly Rolls, Charm Packs and also Big Squares and they have the Quilt Samples and they have patterns in their Kits.

Corey

Hi Linda,

Thank you. Yes, the in-laws home is in a small town called Broadway, Ohio about 10 minutes away from Marysville. They sold the big house in Columbus. We fly back home Sunday morning, to Bakersfield, CA. Pls email me if you can.

Corey

hi Corey

You have been busy again!! Another great quilt and of course Red must be one of your favorite colors. I am leaving in a few minutes for a weekend retreat and hope to get a lot of UFo's finished up to be ready to quilt soon. Will post pictures if I finish anything. Not quilted just tops. I have 4 or 5 ufo's to work on, not overly optimistic am I? Love the scrappy look. I may even try one of those accu cutters someone is bringing one to demo. Yeah!!! Maybe I will get to cut some strips with it. Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you, I am partial to red and black.

Would you let me know how that accu-cutters work and how much they are? Thanks.

I do a lot of sewing/piecing when longarming is slow, in general, I do about 2 to 3 bedsize quilts a month. I figure, treat this job just like going to the office (which I dont want to go back to). I actually have done approximately 30 personal quilts in the past 2 years.

I will have a gallery of my quilts, simple and not so simple ones, in my website, brother in law is finishing it.

Have a great time, enjoy your retreat.

Corey

Rumors of my death are exaggerated or whatever that quote was.

I have just been dealing with a bad roof leak for the past couple of weeks. Unable to quilt since the contractors put up a plastic room that looks like a decontamination chamber in the middle of my studio. Think about the movie Outbreak!

Hi Corey, having fun in Ohio? I bet there's white stuff on the ground. ;) I love that quilt.

I will post a photo of that fabulous bag tonight when I get home from work. What is so wonderful about this bag is that its size is controlled by ribbon closings on the ends - it make the bag totally expandable. I have carried 2 customer quilts in it for delivery. I love it. Corey gave it to me as a thank you gift for having my little Circle Lord clinic at my house back in September.

Thank you Karen and

I am glad to hear from you Ramona Quilter, AKA Linda Card, I emailed you this morning, thank goodness you survived the mess .

I will be going to Road to California, Saturday, will be riding with our Guild bus trip. Hope to see some of you there.

Corey

Hi Corey

Thanks for showing us that quilt - I got so inspired I went and bought some Jelly Rolls yesterday and started piecing when I got home - the piecing is not nearly as boring as the pressing!

This quilt already has an owner. My 25yr old son asked "What ya doing mum - looks like a quilt for me" - so I suppose it is. I haven't made anything for the "kids" (30 down to 19) in years. If I make something for one though I have to do it for all three.

Has anyone else been inspired to start a jelly roll quilt - what about we post pictures here when they are finished?

Thanks again for getting me piecing.

Sue in Australia

Archived