mountain mist batting

I have used it only if a customer brings it. I don't like it but I need the business. You cannot pull on it much. So when your are advancing your quilt flip the quilt top over the rollers and gently smooth out any wrinkles. It will tear. It also has a LOT of dust so be prepared to use canned air and blow out your bobbin area a lot as well as the area under your needle plate. Hope this helps. You also will have to quilt a pretty dense pattern to keep it from shifting when you wash it.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

I used it once and totally hated it. It's thin and tears very easy.

I have a disclaimer that I can refuse inferior batting and explain why to the cust.

I explain to them ,they put alot of time and $ in creating the quilt,why put inferior bat in it. The quilt will last longer with 'good stuff'.

They usually buy the good stuff.

Originally posted by mcmullen

Thanks to all for your replies. I have learned so much from reading this forum. It gives me hope that I can do this ! Guess I will just have to eat that batting.

Why eat it...use it....just cause its not the batting of choice for alot of us it doesn't mean that its a batting that you can't use. I would use it in a practice quilt and just not pull on it to much....I wouldn't throw it away...that would be a waste of money...use it and then know never to buy it again.

I agree I don't like Mtn Mist products either, but I still wouldn't just throw it away.

It is a good batting, but for hand quilting, I use to hand quilt. It is a problem batting for longarming, what I do is educate my customers and direct them to: warm and natural, hobbs 80/20, quilters dream blend and such nice products I love to use because they produce beautiful quilts. It could be used for smaller projects like baby quilts.

Corey

I happen to love it! I like it's weight, the way the quilt looks when it's quilted, etc... I've never had a problem with it and I have actually recommended it to others... I get a lot of compliments on my quilts and asked what batting I've used... I don't have trouble with it tearing, I'm very gentle with whatever I work on, and there's no reason for it to tear if you're being careful. just my two cents...

I'm sure if I could afford the more expensive bats I would like them too - so no offense to them.

Batting is what you like best, what works best for you, do you get the results you want by the look of the completed quilt and are you happy. Everyone here has favorites. The best way to find out is to quilt with different batts. You'll have your own opinion too:P :P

For me, I dislike Dream Cotton...it stretches, gets dimples but quilts nice. I won't use it on my own quilts. I prefer Hobbs 100 percent cotton with scrim. It is thin like Dream Cotton, but the scrim keeps it from stretching and getting dimples. I, also, like Hobbs 80/20 because it quilts nice and has some definition to the quilting...but many here don't care for Hobbs.

Try different batts...don't be turned off is someone doesn't like it...who knows it could be the best batt for you. Buy the smallest size possible and run a practice test on some muslin. You may find another LA'er who has a roll of some batt that you want to test and buy a yard off her. Just a thought!

Most of all have fun and learn.

I love Mountain Mist Rose also! I love the way it drapes. JudyL made a convert out of me. I like others too, but this is what I carry the most.

I just ordered some Quilter's Dream also because I love their battings also, but am going through some troubles with their customer service. I've never had problems with them before, I don't know that I'll ever order from them again because of it.

Jeanne, I order from Quilter's Dream all the time & have never had a bit of trouble. In fact, I think they are the best out there at customer service, as well as having a good quality product. So, maybe someone was just having a bad day, but don't give up on the company because of it.

Archived