What would you do?

The LQS is a drop-off and pick-up spot for me. I've been friends with the owner for a while. She actually offered to do this for me when I moved about 45 minutes away.

She brought in a Nolting Fun quilter a few months after the shop opened and told me she was going to be a rep for them. She hoped she could sell one here and there, and rent time on the machine. She said she wanted me to know she wasn't trying to compete with me and wasn't interested in offering "quilting services" in her shop. I helped her set it up. No big deal. I've been in the shop a lot, buy fabric there (she has a wonderful selection), and genuinely enjoy their company.

Now, several months later, she has another friend helping her run the shop. This girl has been given the chore of giving the initial lessons on the Fun Quilter and hanging close when someone is renting time on the machine. She has come to my house and had me teach her so she can "quilt shop samples" and her own quilts. Also, she was having loads of trouble with "renters" who had wonky quilts and didn't know how to deal with them. I've spent a lot of time teaching this person and I do like both the shop owner and her.

My problem is: Last shop news letter advertised that the shop could now do "simple" quilting for those big quilts for their customers. I guess they think the "simple" ones don't cut into my business. But, as we know, the simple ones are the bread and butter for our businesses. I've always maintained that there's enough business to go around and have taught and helped other longarmers in the area anyway. I guess this will test my theory. I still don't feel anyone has to be cut-throat in this business.

I guess what upset me a little is that the shop owner never said anything to me, I just saw it in the newsletter. Anyway, I have decided to let it go. I do value their friendship and like them both. I just felt a little weird about it all. I do know neither of them have ever bad-mouthed me, in fact, they always have great things to say about me. I refer people to the shop for classes and fabric all the time. So I guess everything will work itself out.

As for that, both of them are coming up to my house for a quilting day in a week or so. We're going to quilt our brains out, eat well and have some of the world famous apple pie this area is known for! Then, the next week, we're going to plan a road trip to "Road to California" and have a great time! Life's too short for drama.

What would you do?

Ouch, Merry Jo, I'd feel more that a bit hurt and I surely wouldn't be giving any more free lessons. It's nice to share what we do but you've done more than your fair share. The shop owner should have told you what her long term plans were. I wouldn't lose the friendship or the business but I'd keep my paid for training to myself from now on, just be busy or unavailable. I've helped new quilters out at the shop I used to work for, knowing where they were going with it and that was fine. I don't appreciate having my brain picked in an underhanded fashion. I've had a lot of help from many wonderful, talented quilters and I've always been honest about it.

We are professionals, we train and practice and take classes and travel to the expos, if people don't respect that it's just wrong.

I would continue to hold your head high, shop at the store and as Kim says, just be busy or unavailable for anymore "Free" lessons. If they are desparate, let them know of the different classes for LA'rs that go on at the big quilt shows and then let them know that if they want you to teach them, you would be glad to look at your calendar and could have a class at your home for $_____. As soon as they see the cost of classes (especially hands on classes) they should realize how much you have give to them free of charge. They probably aren't even aware of these costs that you have had to pay inorder to learn your trade. It isn't cheap and yes, they should have let you know about their new service to their customers. This may not have been done as a hurtful thing to you but they just didn't know. Also, you could maybe talk to them about teaching more complicated patterns than "simple" at their shop to those who will be renting the machine. Maybe in this way you could recoup some of the $$ that they should have been paying you all along.

I think that the friendship is the most important to try and preserve as long as they aren't taking advantage of you. Maybe during your quilting day, you could gently approach this and let them know how you are feeling.

Lots to consider. I wish you well as you walk thru this trial. As longarmers, I think it's important to keep our relationships with the shop owners unless they continually are trying to pull the rug out from under us! :cool:

This happened to me and I lost all my custs. A person in the guild bought a cmptrzd Gammill and told all it was for 'hobby' only. She picked my brain,I showed her tips and tricks and before I knew it..she had my business.

Just put a real big "STUPID" on my forhead:(

She told them all she could do it faster and cheaper. She was a new quilter,only 6 mths into our art. HAd the machine for 2 mths.

She then had the nerve to send me her friend to ask how to free hand quilt on my machine so she could practice on her HQ.

You really don't want me to tell what I told her.

LOng story short...all my cust went to her. She can't do quilts with issues and has ruined several quilts. She took the guild Dear JAne and did an overall spiral on it because she can't do ruler work. The guild was so upset. Dear Jane was hand pieced. She promised custom work.

She held onto a cust quilt for 9 mths and it was promised in 2 wk. She has someone else using her machine and she has not shown up to any guild meeting. My custs are slowly coming back but 2 yrs of nothing really hurt.

I am single and this is my income. She is married and has more $ than what to do it.

So I will not show anyone anything on their machines. It will hurt you in the long run.

Yes I'm bittter because Iwas lied too.

The saying "What goes around comes around " is true.

Sit and your custs will come back.

The Fun Nolting is not for business use only personal. If she burns it out,the compny will not back the warrenty. It is not made for heavy duty work.

They are very strict on this. It is on the website.

I have a 24 Pro Nolting

Sorry to vent and be so long however this can happen to you.

I did confront her and she said I had the entire guild. This was not true. I told her this was not right. My guild has several LA and they couldn't believe she did this. They run when they see her.

I always feel it's best to "clear the air". I would find a way to talk with the shop owners about the situation, and let them know how you feel. It doesn't have to be a confrontation, but this is your business and you need to stand your ground - be clear with them about your expectations and ask them to be clear with you.... You'll feel better in the long run. Then you can gently take the knives out of your back.

I agree with Bobbi about you taking the initiative and talking in a friendly conversation (no drama) just to let your feelings be known. But with that said, continue as usual with your friendship with the shop owner and this other woman and don't change your friendly visits to the store or your normal habits from the past. You continue to be sweet Merry Jo. I think many times people don't have a crystal ball and don't know what the future will bring. First they buy the Nolting to sell, and now it pans out that they want to do some quilting services, too. Things sometimes just happen without devious intentions. I am sure this was not devious and not meant to steal your customers.

I agree to always take the higher road. Merry Jo, you have an established reputation as a quilter No one can take that away from you. I think this world has plenty of room for everyone tohave their piece of the pie and to follow their dreams, whatever those dreams are. I don't consider my fellow local longarm gals as "competition" I think of them as my allies. My local longarm gals we meet every month and do show & tell, chat about stuff (whatever comes up) we share tools and training aids and we share books and share purchasing and shipping rolls of batting to save us all $$. How cool is that?

You can make this a good relationship. You can talk with the shop owner and see if there is a way to "SHARE THE WEALTH" with these "easy bread & butter" quilts. You never know unless you talk and find a way for you all to be happy. I am sure there is a happy solution out there. Wouldn't it be awesome if you three put your heads together to make it all work out for everyone? :)

No matter what the shop owners original intentions were here nothing changes the fact that you are hurt by how it has gone down. As long as she hasn't refused to keep accepting quilts at her shop for pick ups and drop offs than there really isn't anything you can do, your hands are tied. However I would start looking into other ways of getting your customer quilts to maintain your base or some day it just might disapear on you. Stay aware of what is happening and don't fool yourself that this individual(s) have any loyality towards you it appears that for the shop owner it is about survival as it should be for you right now.

My first thought is to try and arrange another way of doing your pick up and drop off. I don't think having all your customers going to her shop is a great plan.

I would try talking to them, friends don't do this to friends. Maybe it is just lack of thought but I think it does need to be mentioned.

On the bright side, as someone else said a Fun Quilter isn't a business machine. It may drive her nuts doing any large amount of work on it. If so you may be surprised at how quickly she passes work back to you.

Ferret

My LQS has now purchased a long arm, I'm happy for them, it was a dream of theirs. I have been helpful, such as recommending thread and such. I have always tried to maintain relationships with others. They call if they need a black batt or needles or whatever. So if I need something I'm not afraid to call.

But, when I have taken classes that cost $250 or so, I don't share all the info I have picked up...

I have customers who now do not want to drop the quilt off at the shop any longer. I have had to be creative and we usually meet for coffee somewhere, which I pick up the tab and I get to know my customer better.

When ordering batting... I have a tax id number and I have some LA that do not and they would like to purchase batting at cost. I do run my business as a business. So I only purchase batting with people who have id numbers.

Merry Jo--your description of the situation was gentle and kind--just like you must be. It seems like you are good friends with the "two" since you are planning fun days ahead. The advice to clear the air seems like a good idea.

Perhaps as the partners progressed with the LA set-up and stepped deeper into the business side, their attention was side-tracked and they did not realize how this would seem to you because of the plans and excitement they felt about their new venture. It is in your best interest to protect your customer base so the suggestion to find another venue for pick-up is a good idea.

You have a good heart and a good perspective on the situation. I wish we lived closer so we could be quilting buddies!!

Merry Jo

As some have already said here you have shown a generous and kind spirit and risen above the situaion.

Clearly you are good friends which is something to value and cherish. Its sounds to me that this was more of a thoughtless act than malicious and as good friends you will probably find the right time to raise how you feel with them.

On a business front it would be wise to keep any lessons on a business level. That does not exclude the pleasure quilters enjoy sharing socially.

I hope it all works out for you.

Hi Merry Jo

Perhaps I take a little different slant on this situation. It seems to me that if a quilt shop purchases a long arm machine that the writing is on the wall from day one. They may not intend to do customer quilts intially, but it is just a natural progression of what happens once you get some experience under your belt. In all honesty, I don't believe the owner and her helper have intended to "use" you, you were a resource for them, and you shared generously out of your own knowledge and expertise. Once they got going on the machine I am so sure that their customers were asking them to quilt their quilts.

My husband bought me a Millenium last May, not to start a business but to "make life easier" as he put it. He saw how I would be hunched over my DSM and would go to bed all stiff and sore after a couple of hours of quilting, and thought there must be an easier way. Well before you know it people see your quilts done and they ask if you could do theirs and voila that is how it starts. I have a job and don't want to do this full time, but it is what I would be doing if I had my life of choice......you know getting paid to work in your pajamas, I love it!!

I am always of the mind that we are rewarded for what we give out, and that we get back that which we give away. I know it does sting, but you seem to have weighed this thing out and come to the conclusion that friendships are more important in the long run. However, having said that I think I would make a comment such as "I was really surprised to read in your newsletter that you are going to be doing customer quilts in your shop." I do believe that she has much to be grateful to you for, and that she needs to talk this out with you.

It is interesting to see how this things work themselves out on their own sometimes. Our LQS had a longarm machine for a while and were doing customer quilts, but they found after they paid an employee to be on the machine that they really weren't realizing a profit. You never know, you might end up picking up their customer list if this thing doesn't pan out.

All the best to you, I hope you enjoy your quilting day with them. As far as a friend goes I believe you are a keeper and they are blessed to have an association with you.

Helen

Hang in there as you have been doing. Keep on doing good quality work and cast about for other shops to use as well as the first one, as pick up and drop off points. It takes a while for things to settle out in terms of who people choose to do their quilting for them. I have had my machine for two years now and have two shops where I drop off my quilts. The first one is in a small city and now there are 5 people with LA machines, including a woman who works in the shop. I keep going in even though I get less business there than last year. There are some customers who stay with me because they are loyal and I hope I am developing a style which some people will appreciate and want on their quilts. And- who knows- sometimes there are little things like personality that affect a customer's choice of quilter. Some of these women borrowed money to get their machines so a person has to wait to see how that pans out. Some people change their minds after a while. At the second shop I am getting more customers because a woman who works there knows me and feels comfortable recommending me to new people. I think it takes a long time to get to a stage where you are established in your business and have a reliable customer base but if you are always positive and do good work you will end up with people who choose your quilting.

Sylvia from Canada

I would be upset also, in fact, I had a recent thing happen. A "friend" showed up one day, because I had "inspired" her to quilt. She was hired to make a quilt for another person. something very specific, she did the piecing,binding, hired out the quilting and unselfishly asked an obscene amount of money for it ( and received it, but with some reserve on the part of the owner of the quilt--she had not told him an amount before hand). She had NEVER pieced a quilt before and I was so p-----....there were not enough words to say how upset I was. Finally, I said "GOD, TAKE CARE OF HER" and had to let it go. I told myself that I love my craft, I love sharing it with others, I love that I can pass it on to others and I love the fact that I can do it with a clear and happy heart. I know I will have repeat business, this person won't.....

And on another note. Our LQS which is 50 miles away, has a long arm that she has had since the day she opened. I have a George and do not do it as a business--mainly because HE is paid for and do not feel I need to quilt full time for others (and not because I have not been asked) but the shop owner and I always dicuss thread, needles etc..and I was able to tell and share needles with her for a new thread she had gotten in but could not use on her machine. I sent her some larger needles, I used the thread, loved it...called her to tell her what I had figured out..she was able to try the new thread and ended up loving it also. I guess sharing is just what some of us like to do. I think we need to be proud of the fact that we are not selfish, self centered people. We are a minority anymore. Don't change who or what you are. You will not like yourself. BE PROUD OF YOUR GIVING NATURE. You did so with the right heart. Have a good day.

Thank you all for the input. I did really try hard to put things into perpective and not have a lot of drama over this. I don't think the shop owner did this in a malicious manner, but more to help out the girl who I've been teaching.

I believe most of my customers will be loyal. It's kinda like when you find someone who cuts your hair just right. You stick to them and don't try someone else easily. I think some of my newer customers may try her. It's mainly the new referrals that I'll lose unless it's custom work that she can't handle.

I have a decent client base. It always could be better, but it's okay. I moved to a very small town in the mountains about 45 min. away from the shop. I knew it would hurt my business a little, but with the pick-up and drop-off at the LQS I hoped it would be minimized.

On the bright side..........there are 2 local quilting groups here. Lots of retired artistic people on the mountain. I was told one group does a lot of "show quilts", and the other group is a large group of quilters with varied experience and they are dying to have their own longarmer "on the mountain." Another plus is that Eleanor Burns lives here and has quilting retreats at her beautiful ranch. Apparently, she pops in and teaches classes once in a while. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her yet, but everyone keeps telling me I "need to meet Eleanor." I think I would really enjoy that. Everything I've ever read or heard about her is that she's quite the character and just tons of good natured fun.

So I think everything will be okay eventually. I was hurt when I read the shop newsletter and found out about the newly offered quilting services without the owner giving me any kind of heads up. If it wasn't for her, the girl wouldn't have a machine of her own to work from. I've gone to the shop and worked with our guild on days when they would get a neighborhood group to make donation quilts. They would sew them together, pass them to me to quilt on the fun quilter, then I would pass them back and they would bind them. After working on the fun quilter, (I usually get about five or six done while we're all there) I know I'm spoiled by my Millie and would never want to try to use a fun quilter for a business.

I guess it may have hit me harder because I had just listened to one of the shop's former instructors complain about the owner "taking orders and making purses from 'her' pattern." I quilted a quilt for her that's supposed to go into a published book. When I returned it to her, she complained that she had told the owner her pattern was copyrighted. I have no idea what went on there and certainly didn't want to get in the middle. There's always two sides to a story, and I don't feel that it's any of my business. It's between the two of them and I'm remaining neutral. I can't imagine the shop owner stepping on her toes intentionally as she is very nice. Her shop is too important to her. It may have just been "sour grapes" on part of the instructor or a major lack of communication. Who knows?? The owner mentioned causally that she was a little upset with this instructor but never said why and I am surely not about to question. They may have had a falling out of some sort, but it's none my business. I just hope the problem is resolved for them.

As for me, I'm just going on about my business as usually. I like sharing with other quilters and don't really look at them as competition, more like another resource. I love it when we can pass ideas and techniques back and forth, although sometimes I feel like it's more from me than to me. I really think that has more to do with my level of experience than anything else. I don't feel any of them are unwilling to share. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for letting me vent!

Have been reading this topic with much interest.

Guess I would, from this time on, be very cautious with this LQS owner.

She may be very nice, but if she is making purses from a copyrighted pattern and selling them, I would be very cautious about trusting her motives. Wouldn't try to make waves, but would try to avoid letting her take advantage of me - no matter how nice she is.

Occasionally very nice people do take advantage of others; and sometimes knowingly.

Only my 2 cents worth and probably not worth even that much.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

I agree with you 100%. I do think we run into people who knowingly take advantage of others. It is their nature. Unfortunatly, I usually learn that lesson after the fact, many times over. I guess I always think "people will change" Oh, well, guess it is all a part of the learning of life.

I don't know for sure if the pattern was copyrighted or if the instructor was telling people that because she intended to get it done or thought it would scare them off. If it isn't, then all bets are off, legally. I wouldn't do it anyway. I don't think the owner would do it either because her shop is very important to her. Several purses aren't mass production. If it were me, I would sell the fabrics and supplies and tell them to contact the instructor for a class or see if she would be interested in making them. That way, both the quilt shop and the instructor benefit.

I really don't know why I'm feeling so mellow about this nasty situation.. Surprises me!

I think I'd suggest quilt pattern books, suggest they PPPPPPPPPPPPP, use dry erase markers and board to practice on, or felt tip markers in old phone books, on news print, etc. suggest checking out the internet for UTube videos, and tell them you find that is the best lesson you can think of and that it would probably work better for them, than risking your teaching them something wrong for their machine.

I guess that's sort of throwing the problem right back at them, with enough info to keep them busy for a while.

Ritar

Archived