How do you search for a topic??

Kim,

If you call APQS, they will give you easy, step-by-step instructions for repacking your gear box. Your rep should be able to guide you, as well. Or give me a call! I learned how to do it at the Machine Maintenance Class at the factory last fall.

You did call APQS for your replacement grease, right?

Marion,

The gear box (back behind the bobbin assembly) is where the grease lives. Doesn't need changing/repacking unless your machine is making the wrong noises - easily diagnosed by holding the phone next to your machine and letting Amy or Christie listen in. Unless your machine is older or making strange noises, nothing for you to worry about!;)

Thanks Barb, I had the grease, Amy recommended we have it on had last year when I needed some other parts! Miss Millie gracefully suffered being removed from her carriage and turned upside down on two batting covered sawhorses! DH & I opened up her gear box. The grease on top looked like new but once we got down near the shaft it got black so we took it all out and repacked her with the new grease, making sure not to leave air bubbles in the grease.

We resealed the cover with the silicone adhesive and she is back up and running so much quieter! What a difference, she was starting to sounnd like an old rattletrap jalopy! :)

I had taken Mark's maintenance class at MQX 2006, so I had detailed instructions on the how and I knew the why. I tried to call APQS this afternoon and either I was too late or they were closed today.

I took photos and will post them tomorrow so that anyone who wants to see what it looks like can!

'Nite everyone!

Archived