starch&steam before loading????

I am a newbie and have 15million questions......i have search this forum and can not find what the purpose of the start & stean method is for, i believe it is for keeping the quilt top stable - and reduce stretching - but i am not sure if this is accurate - also, i don't know what the detail is for the method......if anyone has time, please help and give me some detail.

:o

isennock,

Here is a link to the instructions and reasons for BFSSM, (Bonnie's Fabulous Starch and Steam Method). You can do this and take care of fullness in blocks, sashing and borders. Start at the top of the thread and work your way down to Bonnie's post, that should be a lot of info for you.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=7884&page=1#pid66479

Kenna,

Thanks so much for replying, I just read the whole thread. This is great information......I was beginning to think nobody was going to reply.

I have my first flannel quilt top that I pieced before anyone told me that flannel stretched and I wasn't real consistent with the quarter inch seam allowance, it’s got waves in it like the ocean. I just stuffed it under my guest bad two years ago; maybe I will try to fix it with this method for quilting on my lennie.

Thanks again,

Tammy Isennock

NEWBIE FROM NEWMARKET

Tammy.....I'm not sure I would use this with Flannel.... I'm not sure what the starch will do to the knap of the fabric. I would think it will wash out, but I also would spray from the back and not the top of the fabric......

Test drive this first.....my method is only for 100% cotton fabric. I have NEVER used it on flannel and had success.....

Originally posted by Bonnie

Tammy.....I'm not sure I would use this with Flannel.... I'm not sure what the starch will do to the knap of the fabric. I would think it will wash out, but I also would spray from the back and not the top of the fabric......

Test drive this first.....my method is only for 100% cotton fabric. I have NEVER used it on flannel and had success.....

I've used this on flannel and it is just fine! I starch all fabric prior to using it, including flannel. Starch works wonderfully on it!

Originally posted by hmerrill

Originally posted by Bonnie

I've used this on flannel and it is just fine! I starch all fabric prior to using it, including flannel. Starch works wonderfully on it!

That's good to know Heidi....I had never used it on flannel before and I would have been really sad if it hadn't worked out and had messed up the fabric.

Thanks again ladies, you are the bomb!!!!!!

one more thing, do you think if I starched the flannel when I am actually peicing the quilt it would help control the stretching of the flannel. My experience with flannel stretch has neen horrible, and i buy the expensive quilt store flannel, I am sure its my fault, but I need some pointers to help me, cause I love flannel!!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Tammy

Archived