New Here With Questions

i'm looking into long arm quilting just because i need something to do. i have quilted for a few year, just small projects for myself and family, but after an auto accident, i'm finding that the small machines are giving my arm alot of problems with pain from the shoulder down to my hands. we know what is wrong, it can't be fixed, but before we invest in a long arm, i would like to know if it is difficult to handle, movement more detailed than a regular sewing machine. setting up the quilt on the long arm, or will i need help with the strength of someone else to set it up. thanks, wendyl

I too am new, I've had my APQS for about 3 months now. I may not being doing it right since I've had no training, just watching videos. But I have found that working with this machine is physically taxing on me. I'm constantly climbing under and around this machine. I've been trying to get this queen size quilt done this weekend and I've spent 6-7 hours over the two days and my bicep muscles are so sore right now. This may be due to my lack of experience and having the death grip on the handles. (I really try to relax, I think of it every second - I repeat - relax, flow, relax, flow) But.... I'm still sore. Does anyone else now if this will go away as I get better?

I do not want to discourage you about a long arm it has been a ton of fun (once the bugs get worked out). But it is a physical job, I've now got hubby doing the climbing and pinning once I get the quilt centered. Saves me some work.

Sheila

Sheila,

Your machine should not be that demanding on your body! I would highly recommend that you look into adjusting the wheels on your machine. With the exclusive adjustable horizontal wheels that APQS offers you have the ability to adjust the feel of the machine to fit your quilting style. If you are struggling something is wrong! Please call your representative or anyone at APQS if you need any assistance.

I would also recommend that you find a mentor or take some classes from someone to learn some shortcuts or some easier ways to do things. It will get better with time and you will find easier ways to do things. And ask questions here! I guarantee that we were ALL in your position at one time and I know that someone will have an answer to anything you want to know. We are all here to help one another and we are all very willing to share!

Wendy

APQS travels to many areas nationally and internationally to introduce their machines. Please email them to find out if they plan on being in an area near you in the near future. There are also many national shows within the industry that will give you the opportunity to try machines one on one to find the perfect machine for you. Since none of us know exactly what you are capable of physically I might also suggest that you find someone in your local area to test drive a machine. You may even consider renting a machine for the day to see first hand if this is something you can deal with. I know that when I first began quilting 9 years ago that I tried quilting with a domestic sewing machine. It was HARD work and it about killed me! It was'nt for me but I do admire those that are succesful with it. As with anything that is worthwhile in life, if you want to do it, you will! You are very fortunate coming into the industry at this time as there are sew many talented knowledgable people to help you get started.

AQPS offers setup and training with any machine sale. Please contact APQS for further information.

Holler if I can help either one of you further.

Guest Linda S

Hi Wendy -

I've been in several accidents myself. Are you sure the problems are not fixable? I don't want to pry, but I've had a lot of experience in the area, being told I'd need to live with something and then finding out that it was not necessarily the case. Sometimes it takes a little hunting around for the right doctor or physical therapist, but I have finally managed to work out just about all of the kinks I ended up with after getting hit six times! :o My brother says my car has a bullseye on it tht is only visible by idiots. Nerve pain can be horrible, but there are new advances in medicine all the time.

Linda and Sherry are right - APQS has some wonderful lighter weight machines and you should attend a show and try them out. That's probably the best way to know!

Best wishes!

Linda

Hi -

I, too, believe this job is pretty physically demanding. I have my table at the right height, have attended many workshops and classes, and researched many ergonomic possiblities, and still this is a physically demanding job.

No one told me this when I started, and I was looking into it because I had some physical problems, fibromyalgia being one of them. That it was physically demanding was one of the last things I expected.

I now have an upper body workout I do religiously - strengthening my shoulders, arms, and hands and back.

That said, I think it's all relative. I sat on my duff in an office for almost 20 years, and getting up, moving around the frame, using my hands and arms in that way was a new way of working for me. AND, I'm not exactly normal - I mean, there's some nerve damage to my neck and shoulder, so using them anyway is sometimes very painful. So what's physically demaning for me wouldn't be for someone who didn't have the health issues I do. I just can't quilt for more than 20 hours a week because of the physical parts of this job.

I have a Millennium, it moves beautifully. So get a machine that moves easily, not all of them did when I was looking around. And look for a machine that it's possible to minimize vibration. APQS had the field nailed down as far as I was concerned. Superb machines.

I like being in the business because I can work around my health - that is, on the days I just can't do anything, I don't do it. I quilt on days I feel half decent or better. Most of my customers are aware of this, and still I have them scheduled in advance.

Hope that helps.

Deb

http://www.thequiltdiva.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wendy, Sherry's suggestion is what you need to do. Try them out first. If you are around Kansas City we will have a machine set up for people to try at Crowne Center during the quilt show there this fall, APQS is providing the machines. I don't have the dates handy but could post them. Also see if there is someone in your area who has one or a dealer that would let you try one out for part of a day.

I had a neck injury several years ago that has left me with permanent nerve damage that causes pain and weakness in both my hands and arms, upper back pain and daily headaches and possible fibromyalgia. I've had my machine for nearly 2 years and love it! I bought a Millenium because after trying every brand it was the most comfortable for me to use. It just floats over the quilts and the adjustable handles are a blessing!

If I relax , take my time, and take a break every hour or so I don't have any problems. There are days that I cannot use a ruler with it due to my hand but that's the way it goes. If I'm doing a quilt with lots of ruler work I just plan on it taking me a week -- actually I try not to do those very often (grins).

I have also found that lowering the table a bit helped me. When loading a quilt I use an adjustable stool on the front side and a chair when pinning on the back side.

I don't find it physically taxing unless I'm tense about what I'm doing or I'm having to do alot of frogging. Jeri

I find that my job can be physically demanding also. I think alot of the physical elements are flexible however. Getting your machine set right and knowing when to quit for the day (something I'm not good at yet) are important. I originally got my longarm after being told that I have arthritis in one shoulder, from damamage done in previous seamstress-like jobs. However, it still gives me a little trouble depending on the quilts and type of quilting patterns that I'm doing that day. I am in good shape and was use to sewing 8hrs/day before getting my machine (although it was sit-down sewing) as well as having to lug around 100lb fabric rolls to roll them out for cutting etc everyday, and it was definitely an adjustment for me.

Longarming is hard on your feet and knees, even with padding on the floor and good shoes. Although, both of these help tremendously. I usually end up with a stiff neck/back when I do too much stippling, but again, that's about knowing when to stop. When I started taking clients I would quilt at the machine 10-12 hours/day 4 days/wk, now I've cut down to about 6-8 hrs/day 3-4 days/wk which makes a world of difference in my feet, knees, & back.

I agree with many others who are doing this job, try it out before you dive headlong. I would also recommend taking a class/workshop where you can really try one out if you like the trials at the shows. Then you will know if you can meet the physical demands. I'm not trying to scare you off, but go into it informed. I'm glad I did.

Jess

Hi!

I just want to add my two cents worth here.

I agree that using a long-arm machine can be taxing.

You are definitely using muscles in back, arms, and legs that might not be in the best shape.

But, to the point......Try a yoga class. A power yoga class, if you want to get tone in these muscles. It is never too late to start practicing yoga, and it is a form of exercise that you will be able to do forever! It is truly like giving yourself a massage, with the added benefit of strength building. It is even good for your blood pressure and immune system. (No, I am not a yoga teacher! This is not a paid-anything announcement!)

Linda/9patch

Wendy,

There are physical aspects to using a long arm, but it does not really require a lot of strength -- it takes the ability to get around the machine to load and unload the quilts, to pin the layers on, to move sideways (on a rolling chair or standing), and to move the machine head with your hands and arms -- but the machine head moves very easily.

I had serious long-lasting bouts with tendonitis (lots of pain and weakness in my elbows) before I got my machine that I got wrestling queen-sized quilts through my domestic sewing machine. So one of the things I love about my Millenium is that, with it, I move the needle over the quilt rather than wrestling the quilt through the short arm of a regular machine. It takes lots of practice to do it smoothly and get the machine to do just what you want it to do -- but it doesn't take much strength and, after 9 months working on my machine a lot, it hasn't aggravated my weak elbows at all.

Another thing I like about the Millenium is that the handles on the front go up and down, so you can hold it wherever it feels most comfortable, constantly adjusting to what works best for what you're doing without even thinking about it -- but do notice that the front handles on every longarm machine are not adjustable, so you might want to watch for that when trying out machines.

I have arthritis, some nodes on my fingers, mostly trouble with my knees, low level constant pain even with painkillers, and I find that I enjoy quilting on the machine so much that I don't notice any pain at all while I'm quilting. Then often when I have been standing up working at my machine for 4-5 hours at a time, even with short breaks, when I stop I discover that my legs are stiff and it hurts to go upstairs . . . but it's great to have been distracted so totally from my pain all the time that I am quilting. In fact those pain-free hours of pleasure while quilting add a lot to my quality of life.

If you can afford it, I'd get the hydraulic lift so yo can easily raise and lower the machine -- then you could load and quilt at whatever height works best for you physically. I don't have it but have thought I might get it if my arthritis gets a lot worse in the years to come. That would let you adjust how much reaching and bending you have to do and would allow you quilt to sitting down but load standing up -- or whatever works best.

But everyone else is right -- the best thing is to try the longarm machines somewhere so you know what the demands are. And if you can, either watch someone load their machine or look at a video of loading the machine so you know what that involves, too.

Mary

Hi -

Susan Machs,MD (I think that's her name) wrote a book called "RX for Quilters". She's got an exercise called "Yes, No, Maybe" that I do and teach my students, too.

I work with a big rubber band thingie my therapist gave me to strengthen the shoulders and arms. I work out with this every other day. You can get rubber bands probably at a sporting goods store. They come with instructions.

I also make sure my hands and wrists are in good shape. Try this - hold your wrist just below the wrist joint - tight. Then move your hand in a circular motion. You can feel your muscles trying to help your hand, but hold 'em tight and it will help loosen up your wrist.

Most modern keyboarding books have instructions to avoid carpal tunnel - the one I like is spread your fingers out on one hand, and put your WHOLE other hand between each set of fingers. You will see how stiff they are! And then alternately tighten your fist, then extend your hand, 10 times. That loosens it up, too.

I also bought a finger exercise thingie - called a Gripmaster - that helps alot.

I do these exercises several times a week, not all of them in one day.

Another of my favorites is to clasp your hands behind your back, then extend as far as you can, and tip your head back. This relieves the middle back quite a bit.

I also walk, and ride my bike - walking as much as I can.

This has all helped. Like Jess, if I knew when to quit it would help! I take frequent breaks.

When I quilt, I wear a Body-Rite Posture helper, and also wrist bands, which I got at the sporting goods store. Along with my apron, I look a sight when I'm quilting!

Just standing and reaching as high as you can towards the ceiling is good, too.

I acquired this regimen several years ago when I could not sew on my domestic machine anymore, everything hurt so bad. And for me, not sewing is the same as not living, almost. It's a part of my soul, I think. As it is, I still am off and on with pain and injuries. But I, too, do not feel the pain when I'm engaged in something I like to do. But I also struggle with trying to 'get it all done' when I'm feeling good, to make up for the times I feel so bad I can't make supper.

I go to a chiropractor every 2 weeks, and see my massage therapist every 2 weeks. It's alot of money, but necessary for me. If you think massage is a little extravagant for yourself, try one and see how much it helps!

Hope that helps.

Deb

:D, i'm glad that there are others out there that deal with pain and still want to stay busy and active. i've had fibro for i don't know how long, longer than i really wanted to deal with it, but the car accident as really done in my arm at times. thanks for all your advise.

if you could send me the imfo on the kansas city show, i may try to make it up there. we don't have any sales reps in oklahoma.

my other question is how do you find a used machine. i really don't want to sink alot of money into this and find out i can't. sewing and quilting are my release from pain also, but the best time of no pain is when i'm in the gym at church, playing with the children. the hugs and the laughter of children can beat quilting any day.

thanks again, wendy

Hi Wendi, I'll look through my info and find those dates, I'll also send you the phone number and e-mail for Janet who is an APQS dealer here in town, they just set up a Liberty or Discovery in addition to their Mille. If you are up this way , you could also come play with my Mille.

I know what you mean about the laughter of children. We are blessed with 7 grandchildren and 4 are here often for several days at a time. They wear me out as my DD has triplet 2 1/1 year old boys and a 3 1/2 year girl but definately worth every minute. Jeri

Wendy - I bought my machine used. I hadn't intended on buying used, but now am glad I did. This way I find out for a much smaller investment what I REALLY think is important in a machine, and then when I am ready to upgrade I will be able to make a more informed decision than before, and will be more confident in spending big bucks for top of the line.

If you belong to a quilt guild or quilt bee, if you just put the word out that you are looking for one, you'll be amazed at what comes out of the woodwork!

However, if one becomes available, you will probably have to decide quickly, as they generally sell pretty quickly (at least around here they do). Find someone who is getting ready to upgrade their machine, their old one is generally for sale.

Guest Linda S

Lots of good information here. As I said above, I've been in several car accidents. The first messed up my neck and every major joint of my spine (where it exits my skull, joins my rib cage, exits my rib cage, and joins my pelvis), the last accident tore my rotator cuff in my right arm, along with a bunch of the muscles in my neck and along my collar bone. The first surgeon my GP sent me to told me that I was getting older and would have to get used to these things!! Well, let's just say he's lucky he's still walking around. I got a second opinion, had surgery by a great surgeon, excellent physical therapy (I still do the exercises -- have one of those rubber band thingys on the inside of my office door here), and I feel great!! As my doc says, you have to fight every day to keep it moving and keep from freezing up. If you take care of yourself, get the machine that's right for you, and do your exercises you should be okay.

From someone who was supposedly disabled who just finished installing insulation in her attic and demolishing the old chimney that was up there and will be hanging drywall this week, I can tell you -- don't let the turkeys get you down and tell you you're done for before you're ready. Of course, I'm off to a spa in Arizona next week and BOY OH BOY, do I plan on loving every minute of that hot stone massage! ;)

Linda

The dates of the show at the Kansas City Crowne Center are Sept 25th through Oct. 10th it will be open the hours that the shopping area is. I'll have to find out that info. I don't shop there often--many very high priced stores and a bit out of my budget. It's actually the quilt show for the Greater Kansas City Quilt Guild and we are just doing the longarm demo at the entrance to part of it.

It's usually an pretty impressive show. If the entries are like last year there will be quite a few that have been quilted by members of our LA Guild.

Here is the info on the APQS dealer here in town. John or Janet Mitchell or you may reach Mary Hibbs

Country Lane Quilting

816-350-2002

3723 NE Beechwood Drive

Lee's Summit, MO 64064

Their e-mail is CountryLaneQuilting@mail.com

web site www.counrtylanequilting.com

One place to look for used is on the IMQA web site. Also Quiltropolis. If I hear of any through our guild I'll post them here.

Jeri

Betty & all:

Just to clarify, massages are NOT for pampering myself, that's one point I was trying to make. My body was so 'froze up', as Linda S. put it that I need help with full mobility. Therapuetic massage does not particularly feel good, but it's necessary to keep me going.

Try it. I really really don't think of massage as pampering myself! My masseur is as much a part of my medical care team as the doctors and chiropractors.

Linda S, sounds like you've been through the ringer. I'm so sorry, I wouldn't wish this kind of daily grind on anyone. I understood immediately 'frozen up'. I have to get moving in the morning whether or not my body wants to or not. But some days I have to recognize my body isn't up to it, and I spend the day quietly watching TV or reading. Those days are getting fewer and fewer, tho, I've just kept at it - firing medical care practicioners who don't buy into my health goals. I tease my 61-year old husband "when I grow up I want to be as healthy as you". He has no aches and pains at all. I'm 47. Hurt like hell most of the time! Anyway, can't tell you how many jerks I've run into: "you'll have to live with this".

Well, no, I don't have to live with it, thanks but no thanks. I've got a great team now. I depend quite a bit on an MD who got disillusioned with Western medicine and uses a combination of alternative meds and Western meds. I've decreased my Western meds by about 75% so far!!!! yea! Anyway, don't leave your medical fate in anyone's hands but your own.

seeya

Deb

Hi Wendy:

I can feel what your saying about ackes & pains . I have carpal tunnel in both wrist and ganglion cyst in one . I have allot of pain in both and some times I get to hurting up to elbow and some in one shoulder. This is result of my job. Now I try to exercise regularly to strenghten and tone musceles. If I don't tone I start hurting again in my back , which I have a deteriating disc(several) w/some nerve damage , not that old but wore out back. I deal with pain and stiffness and now with carpal tunnel . Will get fixed soon and hope this help most of the acks & pains that come with it. I just love doing thing and will not give up things. Just learn to deal and cope. I had quilt stand high up but it was too much to stretch over to adjust things so I lower to fix with out too much stretch. Much better. Can not stay still sometimes because of stiff or pain, but it works and keeping business will be better than doing nothing and hurting more or do something and knock my back out fast. No lifting heavy things or will feel it the next day. If you don't do much and not keep doing things it does get worst and can knock back out quick. Hope you get better or try different chairs or stools. I even got table that I could adjust how high .Got @Auction Nita

I, like Jess, have found it hard to limit my quilting time. After a year plus in business I have learned to give myself extra time. I now add 10 days to 2 weeks to my estimated delivery date. It cuts down on my stress and gives me the flexibility to not quilt on the days the pain takes over and my body wants to do nothing. It also gives me guilt free days with my grand-kids.

Quilting doesn't seem to cause any increase in pain unless I'm using templates or rulers. When I use them I wear carpal tunnel braces to ease the stress on my hands and increase my control . If my neck is really bothering me and I have quilts that have to be done I will heat up my long rice bag and wear it while I'm working. If I'd gotten a vibrating Gammill or Nolting I wouldn't be able to quilt most days. Love my Mille!!

Hi,

I just got the extended base..clear acrylic, rectangle that slides on to the machine....I seem to be having a little drag problem when I move the machine toward me...I am wondering if I can adjust roller 2 (the one with the quilt top rolled on it) higher. I looks like the bolt could be unscrewed which would make it higher. I think that the base is draging on that roller. It doesn't get close enough to the other front roller, just the top roller. Any suggestions?

Cheryl

Well, it looks like I answered my own question. I waited all of 20 minutes before going into my DH's workshop and getting a few tools. Even a level. I raised the bolt that holds the pole ( pole #2) ---both ends ---made sure it was level, then tightened it all back up....no more drag on the extended base. My stitches are looking better, and I'm not struggling with drag. I could still use an extra hand at this point, but I'm sure practice will help.

So, if there is any reason not to do this PLEASE let me know, otherwise I'm feeling pretty good about this!

Cheryl

It took over 5 years and many doctors to finally find one that could successfully treat my chronic pain. So don't give up. Now I wear a back support when quilting (you might need a different kind of support), limit my quilting time when in pain, and I take regular breaks. As a result, quilting with my Millenium is a dream and the enjoyment far outweighs any physical discomfort that I get from time to time. Try it out and hopefully you can join our group of contented quilters. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Archived