Here's One For Ya

Can anyone explain to me why the following happens:

Many times I'll be quilting along just fine, then the machine just doesn't really go anywhere and the stitches tighten up. When I take the bobbin case out I notice that the thread somehow winds around that spring in a couple of places. When I look underneath at the bottom (how can I explain this), say I'm stippling like I just was, the bobbin thread pulls the top so tight that there are BIG LONG eyelashes and I have to rip out. This morning I began stitching in the ditch from top to bottom as far as I could go, then went into stippling. Well, the top stitches were there, then that tightening happened. When I went to rip out the stitches, I found that all I had to do was pick up one end of the top thread and the top thread just unraveled (the bobbin didn't physically take the stitches at all, although the top thread was making stitches). Does anyone understand what I'm trying to explain? Does anyone know why this happens? The part about the bobbin thread pulling the top so tight happens to me a lot.:(

When I understand you correctly, I think I know that phenomenon.

For me, this only happens with new self-wound bobbins, i.e. when the maximum amount of thread is wound on the bobbin. When I load such a new bobbin, I can stitch about ten inches before the bobbin trhead gets stuck and finally breaks. When I take out the bobbin cas to check what's going on, I find that the bobbin thread gets caught in that little spring in the bobbin case. I take the bobbin out, put it in again and most of the times everything is fine.

My subjective impression is that this happens when I load the bobbin in the bobbin case in a way that I have to run my bobbin thread close to a full circle before I hit the thread opening in the case. When I load the bobbin in a way that the thread is really close to this opening, this problem won't occur....

If you have been talking about something completely different, please excuse my lengthy description...

Birgit

Sherry,

I am using prewounds. It also happens when I wind my own. When winding my own bobbins, it sure looks like everything is going well.

Birgit,

For me, it doesn't matter how much thread is on the bobbin. It can happen anytime...I keep ripping out some stitches, taking the bobbin out of its case, removing the thread that wraps around the spring and re-inserting the bobbin. Sometimes this problem happens 3 or 4 times before I'll be able to fix it. I first thought that my bobbin case may be old, hence the problem with the spring.

Thank you both for your reply.

Archived