Comuquilter designs

Grammie

Ok, for those of you using Compuquilter I was wondering how many of were happy with the designs that come with the program? Do you use alot of the designs or did you end up purchasing most of what you use from other sources. I have seen some beautful designs that I will probly purchase but I must admit I think they are a bit High in cost. Most of the sites sell Statler Stitcher and only a few Compuquilter. I am sure this will change in time. I use the Artista Digitizing software with my embroidery machine so I think Digitizing will come to me easily. Do any of you really DIGITIZE or you just PLAY with it. Also are all future upgrades free and what happens when the COMPUTER BITES THE DUST? Every Computer I have owned bit the dust sooner rather than later. Technology changes faster than we are ready. I want a longterm program. With cost of the program I want many years of use. Just hoping for some comments from the users out there. Sorry for so many questions. I am wanting the Compuquilter and well I want to make sure I have asked all these questions before I put that JOHN HENRY DOWN. lol:mad::mad:

I have used several of the designs that came with the CompuQuilter and I have also bought quite a few more. They do get expensive, but you can use them over and over again. I do think that most of the designs that come with the CompuQuilter are pretty basic and I will never use them. It is my understanding that DeeDee Townzen digitized these for quilts she was making so the designs are ones she wanted. More and more designers are beginning to digitize for the CompuQuilter and we are getting a nice selection to chose from. One of my problems is I want them all:D

In regard to the updates. It is my understanding that all updates are free. I'm not sure what will happen when the computer bites the dust other than we will definitely have to buy another one.

I have tried digitizing and don't like it (I had also tried digitizing for embroidery work and didn't like it then either). I get very frustrated with working with the design tools, etc. in AutoSketch. I think the directions we get in the manual are way too basic and the directions in AutoSketch are way more than I need to know and I get lost. I am presently trying to digitize an open cable-like border and corner and I've just about given up and will look for something already created. I have spent about 8 hours or so trying to get this design digitized and my sew out is a total disaster even though it looks great on the computer screen. I just don't have the patience or the time to Mickey Mouse around with this. I feel that I am spending way more time trying to digitize than I should be -- (I own a word processing and resume writing business and my time for digitizing and quilting is limited) -- this is time I should be practicing using the Millie:o

Grammie wrote:

I want a longterm program. With cost of the program I want many years of use. Just hoping for some comments from the users out there. Sorry for so many questions. I am wanting the Compuquilter and well I want to make sure I have asked all these questions before I put that JOHN HENRY DOWN

Hi Grammie and everyone

You can't get much longer than CQ Stan says all software upgrades are free. We have already had one substantial (and a few mini upgrades) in the 9 months I have owned my CQ). I know there is a very major upgrade being worked on right now. The size of the computer currently used is way, way bigger than is needed to run CQ and even with regular upgrades it doesn't seem likely the memory will have to be increased. The computer is guaranteed for a yr and is a regular computer, with the exception of the special LPT card (I think designed by Stan) and to replace this is only around $20 should there ever be a problem with it).

I think this computer will last way longer than my regular desktop since it isn't exposed to threats on the internet.

There are some awesome designers of CQ patterns out there now. Most who design for Statler also design for CQ, if they don't advertise that they do then ask or check this site for a list of designers. You can get some really good deals by buying their pattern packs.

The current CQ manual doesn't give much information on designing in Autosketch. Stan and Dee Dee thought they had covered it until they were told they hadn't so Dee Dee has been working on including more instructions in the next manual. If you need help on this right now though, just email Dee Dee or Stan and they will send instructions on how to do something you need.

At first glance I didn't think I'd use that many of the patterns that came with CQ, but having had CQ for some time now I find I use the more "plain" designs the most such as cable , diamond arcs, zig zag far more than I ever expected. It just takes time to look at the basic drawing and see how you can improve it. I have quilted a few quilts using the cable design that comes with CQ for example and they stitched out really well. I've also had fun making a pattern with these designs and then stretching them to get a totally different looking design.

It takes a little time to learn CQ and a little more time to learn Autosketch, but the effort is definitely worth it and is fun too.

Sue, I'll try to make up a cable design and send it to you. What do you want? A corner (now that will be a challenge), how many lines in your cable 6 or 8? I'm going to be flying to the USA on Tuesday (22hrs travelling time) so should have time to work on cables. Let me know before I leave.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Sue, thanks for the offer. I will e-mail you privately (I sent you a U2U - please check it) and send you a picture of what I've been trying to do. A Sandy in Texas is also trying to work on this for me. She wasn't sure she would be able to figure it out.

You mentioned that there is a cable that came with the program. I haven't found it. What is it called and where is it located?:(

Sue in Scottsdale

P.S. I finally found the cable that came with the program - it is nothing like the one I want!

Archived