Home made stencils

HI All!! I made some stencils!! I don't have a dremel tool, so I used the sewing machine with the large needle! It turned out pretty neat! The first pic is my crosshatch, I just drew the lines on the plastic then stitched. The second is a pattern that is already in my machine in the emboidery ....what fun!!! linda

post--13461901016364_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Bekah

wow what a great idea. can you give us the details of the plastic and how youdid the embroidery one

For details how to create plastic stencils using a sewing or embroidery machine, see this thread:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=14482&page=1

In that thread I used plastic from Office Depot: cover sheets for reports (thickness 30 micron, and a denim needle. Overhead sheets will do just fine too.

I didn't even have to hoop it: I just cut the plastic in the same shape as the hoop template, which makes it stay put inside the inner hoop.

In the attached photo you can see that the plastic material is just on top of the inner hoop (not hooped between inner and outer hoop). The red line on the photo is the edge of the plastic sheet, cut in the same shape (with incisions on the side) to make it fit inside the hoop.

It really is a breeze! See the other post for more details

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=14482&page=1

Loes

post--13461901019109_thumb.jpg

Hi Loes!! I just got home from work and saw the question from Bekah! Thanks for answering her!! I would have sent her to that thread, cause that 's where I got the info! I made a couple more stencils from the quilt blocks in the quilt I am going to be working on......MIGHT put them in the border.....not sure yet..... This is FUN!!! linda

Loes, another question.... When you used your embroidery machine, did you put any stabalizer in the hoop? I put some sticky kind in. I'm not sure how you made it stay in the hoop with out anything. I just cut my plastic the same size as my plastic thingy that I use for placement that is in my hoop. clear as mud? :P Thanks if you can help! linda

Originally posted by lindasewsit

Loes, another question.... When you used your embroidery machine, did you put any stabalizer in the hoop? I put some sticky kind in. I'm not sure how you made it stay in the hoop with out anything. I just cut my plastic the same size as my plastic thingy that I use for placement that is in my hoop. clear as mud? :P Thanks if you can help! linda

No stabilizer... Nothing goes in, under, or in between the hoop: just the plastic overhead sheet or report cover material and that is not even hoooped: so it's not even sandwiched between the inner and outer hoop.

The plastic sheet is cut in the same shape as the plastic template that comes with the hoop. Because of that shape, it just can't move in the hoop, and because it is plastic, without thread, there's no pull, push effect, no shrinkage of course, so the machine just does its thing and makes holes in the plastic.

Look at the photos - no stabilizer, just the plastic laying on top of the sides inside the inner hoop.

You won't believe how easy it is until you actually try it and then after 2 minutes, your stencil is ready :)

I have to admit that I closed my eyes in the first 10 seconds when embroidering my first stencil, but it just goes fine!

Loes

what a fantastic idea!!

If you have digitizing software for your embroidery machine, well holy cow, I need to go play!!!

Thanks for sharing this idea!

I bought some plastic that looks about the weight of page protectors, it is gridded with lines, 1" thick lines with the others inbetween. I thought at the time it would work well for making piecing templates, but I am thinking it would be great for this idea too!

Ann

Originally posted by annc

what a fantastic idea!!

If you have digitizing software for your embroidery machine, well holy cow, I need to go play!!!

Well, the beauty of this is that you don't even need digitizing software for your embroidery machine: all you need is Pre-Design Studio, draw a pattern, then choose menu File > Convert to Stitches. Set it to 3 mm stitch length, no tie in/offs, and save. Put the resulting DST on a USB thumb drive and insert into your embroidery machine.

Cut the plastic in shape and embroider. It takes less time than reading this post :)

Loes

If you find you don't like your pounce pad that comes with the miracle chalk, try this. Make a small pillow of white pane velvet, stuff with fiber fill, (you can add the chalk into the pillow or just dip it in the chalk). The very fine short nap of the velvet is perfect for getting into all the little holes of this type of stencil. When you mark, try to have a firm surface under the area, I use the extended plate on my machine. Use a little pressure as you rub accross the stencil. I have found that if you do it this way the chalk doesn't bounce at all when you stich the design.:)

Kay

Archived