Miracle Chalk

As far as I know yes, only white. And my whites are marked several ways....with the new Sewline pens, the leads come in green, pink, white, that I know of and several others. I have some Water solvuable pencils that I got from an indrustiral place...they come out great from the white fabrics I tested them on and even am using it on a show quilt I am working on.

Blue pens are very safe as long as you don't expose them to hot lights or the sun....and if I don't have to worry about those two things I use the blue pens.

Bonnie couldn't have said it better. My favorite marking on white are the Sewline marking pencils. They stay put until I want them out. Give me a nice clear crisp line too. Miracle chalk does only come in White. I sent an email to the makers a couple of years ago asking if they would make them with other colors and the answer was no. They told me that the color would become permanent when heated. They cautioned me to never add blue to it. I know there are some that have tried it but when they told me that I would never risk it.

I don't know of a quicker method for marking. That would be the next great invention!

Girls, I have thought about using carpenters chalk for ( use in a chalkline) as a powdered chalk, for stencils.It comes in a lot of colors and you could mix it with your white chalk to tone it down so it would not be too intense. You could test drive it on a sample piece of fabric. Just a suggestion. You can find it at local hardware stores. Carol:D

Yikes, I would be afraid to use the carpenters chalk. I know the blue chalk that comes with the pounce is only used by about one quilter, Pam Clarke, the rest of us throw it away :)

I have not tried the pencil Bonnie mentioned, but one day I plan to get it.

I usually use a blacklight pencil on white. I love it and it stays put until you are ready to wash it off. Plus, unless the customer has a blacklight left over from the '60's they are not going to see it ;)

NO,,,,Do Not use carpenters chalk....for starters its toxic and you need to wear a mask for it if you use it much....secondly its PERMENANT and it will not come out.

They do have a chalk that's called a dust off...and its a pretty lavender chalk and I do use that as a line for cutting my batting, but that will never never be close to a quilt top....it too does not wash out of off.....

I just remembered something that I wanted to ask about chalk. I was at my favorite LQS Sunday and I overheard the salesperson telling a lady who was concerned about the chalked lines "dusting off" and the lady told her to spray the chalked areas with a clear hairspray? Then when the quilt is done "spritz it with water" and wipe off. Is this smart? Have any of you tried it.

hmmmm....I have used Hair spray to get out ink stains, but haven't used it to hold down chalk. I will test drive this and let you know what I find out. I would think it would wash out afterwards....I would be concerned about getting it out of the fabric, but it comes out of clothes.... There was a time I would stand under a can of hairspray so long that my hair "Wouldn't Even Move"....and I always had to have my blouse on first because you couldn't get it over the huge hair afterwards and it always came out.

I would think it would work, but haven't tried it. Next time I need to use chaulk I will let you know...especially the black light chaulk, because it does bounce around SO much.

Originally posted by sewlinzi

Don't iron over the pink sewline pencil or it will become fairly permanent - I had to scrub at it with washing up liquid!

LINZI x

I wonder if that goes for the other colors as well.... Also wondering if the hot iron didn't melted the color it into the fibers.... Glad you were able to get it out....will remember this and not use the iron to get a couple of wrinkles out that I may have to contend with ...:o

I wanted to share something I found in the Nancy's Notions catalog. It is Tailors' Chalk by Sullivans International. This is great stuff and a good bargin. I use this on light colors that the white chalk doesn't show up on well. It comes in a mixed color pack with white, yellow, red and blue. To use this product with my home made stencils I rub it on some very fine sandpaper. Then I pick up the color with a small pillow of white pane velvet. Rub lightly over your stencil to mark.

I have found it comes off very well if rubbed off with a clean white terry face cloth. I'm loving this way of marking. If you want to read my article in "ON TRACK" Magazine please look on page 18 of the Fall 2008 edition. ON TRACK is a trade magazine for the International Machine Quilter Assoc. If you are a member you should have a copy.

Kay

Bonnie, thanks for your response. I am a newbie and am freaked out by using any marker that I have to wet the quilt to get rid of, especially washing the entire quilt. I guess because I have given all my quilts away so far and I always pre-wash the material before I make the quilt. BUT I HAVE NEVER WASHED ONE OF MY OWN QUILTS AFTERWARDS AND AM PETRIFIED THEY MIGHT GET ALL SCREWED UP - JUST NEWBIE NERVES, I guess.

Have you ever washed a clients quilt to get rid of the marked lines and then the quilt is messed up from washing and drying??? thanks for your time!

Archived