CQ cables slipping?

LoreW

Yesterday I was working on a quilt and the second row didn't seem to be lined up correctly. After I had let it quilt about foot of the row I stopped the machine and eventually figured out that the block on the Y axis cable was slipping, and the head had moved about 1/2" out of position near the beginning of the row. I had my DH look at it and he tightened everything up for me. The manual has some directions about tightening the cable - but not about the cable slipping in the block where it attaches to the head. I haven't finished ripping out the bad part so I don't know if it will run correctly now or not. But here is my question - the cable actually felt a little chewed up near the block. Is this just part of the break-in period or common wear and tear? Is there something I should be checking regularly so it doesn't happen again? Could it have been something I did that caused the block to loosen on the cable? I'm still afraid that I'll do something terrible and ruin Millie every time I have to do any adjusting, etc. :o I'm very new at this - I've had my Millie since just before Thanksgiving, and of course every time I have a problem it is on a weekend when I can't call support. Tell me this all gets easier, please... the learning curve still looks very steep from here!

I don't know who your CQ dealer is or who set it up, but here goes. Just tighten the clamp using an Allen wrench I think is is 5/64 or 3/64 but just tighten the clamp. It should not damage the coating on the cable and if it is damaged it will not do any harm. the X-axis cable will stretch a little over time. Just use adjuster on the end of the table for correct tension. The Y cable seldom needs adjusting.

John

I don't know if this will help but maybe.

There is an Allen screw that is on the bottom of the block that is connected to the cable. If you tighten that screw, it should fix the slipping. I generally have to tighten these screws every month or so. I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I think the movement of the machine just loosens things.

After you troubleshoot things for a while and fix a few things, your Millie won't scare you! It does get easier.

Donna

Thank you! I bought my machine used directly from APQS. It was a demo machine, and they installed it for me. I did know that the X axis cable would need to be tightened after a few weeks, but this was the first problem I've had with either cable. This forum has been so much help to me! Since I work full time, I'm not usually working on Millie during regular working hours, and I don't really know who I should be calling for help, so I've found the answers to a lot of my questions online.

Hi LoreW

Have you downloaded the new CQ software yet? The manual has been upgraded and instructions for this and other maintenance tasks and new features are documented. New version is 4.01 created in December 2008. Click on the About button on the CQ screen to find out which version you are running.

Did you get a message from SD Stitches recently to say you are on their customer list and to be notified about the upgrades?

This forum and SD Stitches' own website and forum are great places to ask questions about your CQ after hours.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

I'm running version 4.0. I've been expecting a notice about the 4.01 upgrade and haven't heard anything. I'll have to see why I'm not on their customer list. I thought I was....

I picked out the worst of my problem and finished the quilt last night without any more issues. Thanks to you all for the information!

Archived