There are some positives...right?

We have been discussing the down side of owning a business like this but there are some positives, right?

And when we are at that breaking point all we see are the negatives (mostly because there are alot of them from reading all of our posts ;))

But there are some positives as well, at least I think so, which is why I am still doing this after 4 years and plan on doing it for several more. Keep in mind however my machine has been paid for since I purchased it in 2005 so I don't have the stress or burdened of that hanging over my head. Maybe that makes the difference because at anytime I know I can walk away from the business without the fear of having to sell/ loose my machine. It also may be the reason why I am at the point where I feel if the way I run my business (prices, turnaround times, what quilt I am willing to take or not take) is not the way a potential customer likes than that person can find someone who is more willing to work with what they think how a longarmer's business should be run. There are ALOT of longarmers in my area and alot of them are more than willing to do whatever it takes to build their base.

Ok here are some reasons why I still do this...

1) I like meeting the people that make up our quilt community (I had no idea how big quilting was until I got into business)

2) I feel like I am accomplishing something

3) When you call the customer to let them know that their quilt is done, they are really happy to hear from you :cool:

4) I like seeing all the different quilts that come in, there have been alot of quilt patterns that I would have never known about if a customer didn't make it and bring to me to quilt

5) It is an "EGO RUSH" when they gush all over the quilting that you did on their quilt, it can really make your day and some times your week if they go as far as either tipping you or taking the time to write you a personal thank you note.

6) The extra cash is nice, I won't lie & say that I am in it only for self satisfaction :D

7) I am able to still be a stay at home mom, be there for my kids when they come home from school, and take the time off when I need it.

8) It's great being your own boss..no feeling guilty if you need to take a sick day or a personal day just because.

9) I was able to justify buying one of these machines (if I didn't go into business I don't think I would have paid the $ for one) I can be cheap like that some times, lol

10) I have learned so much, about people, the business world, quilting and yes even myself.

So even though there have been days where I do feel like ripping my hair out :P I am at the point where my positives still out number my negatives.

As long as your Positives still out number the Neg's then you are still ahead of the game. And I even have to admit I think about going back to quilting for others and then life throws me a little curve and I rethink it....so for now I just am happy doing for me, and my one customer who is SO broke she has to live with someone else otherwise she would be homeless..so we barter. So far I'm happy with that and her.

This is really all I can do right now. My son is in school and I'm the one who has to make that happen because my husband is totally not available with his schedule. So I do this and volunteer as a CASA.

That said, I've never really had any problems with customers and most are still with me. There are days when I look up to those of you that have quit the business because I'm always behind and I always have way too many quilts on the backlog (which I guess is a good thing). And I know that is an option I have.

But I remind myself that if I didn't have the customer quilts, I'd feel guilty for not having the machine running for myself all the time.

Oh, and I like that I'm one of the best quilters in the area and my customers who are my gatekeepers are good at only passing my name to the good guys. I'm only a little disappointed that I can't advertise in my guild's newsletter because I don't need any business.

Whatever... I'm way too into myself. :P

I'm not nearly as nice as the rest of you are.

Donna

Yeah, JoAnn, even though I just finished venting about a customer complaining about price on another thread I agree with all your reasons that there are positives to it. The main one for me was getting to be here for my DS. He's a Senior in High School now and I've been home for him all through high school thanks to the LA business and that's worth all the pita customers in the world. (well, maybe not ALL...:P

I will agree, there are some very rewarding things about this quilting business.

My problems are of my own making....not the quilting world or people in it.

I love the fabrics, the patterns, the totally awesome quilts that come through my door...and when I quilt them right - I love the way they look even more awesome!

I am going to love making my own quilts and I have a list a mile long to complete.....

I'm keeping my business pretty small so that I don't burn out. I work full time outside the home and that drains me. I love to quilt and just love to see peoples reactions when they see their quilt. When/if it gets to where I don't enjoy it I will close my business and just quilt for me. Right now I shoot for 1 queen size quilt a week which doesn't sound like a lot to most of you that do this all the time but for me it is plenty. I could do two smaller quilts as well. I want to still have time to do some of my own stuff and with everything going on this is what I can fit in. I don't want to have 50 quilts sitting and waiting either. I make a list and call them 2 weeks out to see if they still want their quilt done. Most of my customers are ok with this. I know that if I try to do 2 or 3 a week I'll burn out for sure. I can only get about 2 hours an evening to quilt and then 1 day of my weekend. The other day is taken up by cleaning, shopping and all those other household duties! For now I enjoy it and haven't regretted it.

Yeah after reading all the 'negatives' lately I've wondered if I've made the wrong decision. I'm just starting and still scared to death to take in a customer quilt.:(

Still trying to balance 3 new kids, work and home. :(

Just praying something comes open before this summer starts because my DH is going to get real busy on the farm and we have no one to babysit for us. Not sure how it will all work out. We can't afford for me to quit my job - we need the benefits and the little bit of money it brings in just to make ends meet.

Glad to hear there are positives and I know that the support that this forum gives is definitely worth it!! In fact I just joined my first guild this past week! I learned something the first night and met lots of nice ladies. I didn't share that I had a LA except with one lady because I'm so new and didn't want them to think I went there just for business. I want to learn more about quilting and definitely do enjoy it!

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their knowledge and experience. I know that I appreciate you and your time!

Sorry this is so long. Just got started and couldn't stop.

I got an email from a friend with the subject 'The best job in the world'. I shrugged and thought, yeah I've already got it. I didn't bother to read that one until I had caught up with all my other email.

I work the longest hours I have ever worked. - I choose my hours and work when I feel like it. I missed working over Christmas.

I earn less than I have ever done. I love what I do and I am raising my income every month. One day (and not that far off) I will be back to my old income levels.

My boss is a slave driver but knows exactly when not to push and to give me the day off.

Would I go back to a nice secure, well paid 9-5, not if I can help it.. I will make this work somehow. In fact my stated goal is to be the first millionaire quilter. At least I haven't hear of another :) Maybe that is the most important part of the job, it lets me dream and aspire to do better.

Ferret

I am a recent venter. We vent because this is a safe place to do so--but please don't let a rant or two deter you if you are considering this. My DH had a co-worker (female) who had a sign on her desk--

I neither belch nor fart--therefore I b*tch--- lest I explode.

Exactly!!!!

One customer in a hundred will be so outrageous or have such a terrible quilt that it is mentioned here. But that one in a hundred really stands out because most are a great experience and outcome.

I love love love what I do--I make money, make people happy, express my creativity, problem-solve, get to meet the most wonderful people--especially here--and have a corner of my world where I am my own boss. What's not wonderful about that??!!:D

Keep venting if you need to--wouldn't want anyone to explode!! And you will get support, encouragement, and lots of great advice here.

Well said Linda.

Ferret; it would be great if we could become rich because of quilting, however if anyone can do so I put my $ on you because of all of your creativty and artistry you put into your quilts. Never stop living your dream.

Mary Beth; sometimes a person needs to step back to see their true vision in life. Going back to the traditional 9-5 job and giving up quilting for others will allow you to see your vision more clearly allowing you to quilt some wonderful things for yourself and family. Enjoy your new found freedom.

And don't forget to post those pics!

I am looking forward to quitting my day job and working full time quilting...or however much time I want. I have worked for other people from the age of 17 on and I am now 49. I look forward to not having to drive 20 miles on black ice to get to work like we have been doing for almost 3 weeks sraight here in Montana. I look forward to not dealing with difficult people (well hopefully not too many) and I look forward to a little fexibility in my life. I love making other people's quilt tops into quilts for them and seeing how much it pleases them also. And as stated earlier on this post I love to see the different designs and blocks other quilters do. It makes me want to try new things. I love sewing and quilting, it's my passion, and I hope it will work out to do what I love full time.

"Over the Hill" isn't too bad - kind of like turning 30 and no longer worrying about what others think anymore!

I too love that I only have to commute downstairs and after 10 months am still enjoying the quiet of my studio rather than listen to a co-worker rattle on all day long until I can't even think...I also love that I am able to answer to myself, be as professional as I want to be and then there are the quilts, love to see them and most of my customers say "do whatever you want" which gives me the freedom to be creative. I know we need to vent and what better place than to others who know excactly how we feel, but all in all, I am not sorry that I do this and absolutely love my job as a LA! Also, not be left out, thanks to everyone for all of the wonderful advice that I have learned from over the last year on this website! You all are great!

Vicki

The other side really doesn't hurt....been there...and I was reminded yesterday that I will be 54 this year. Yikes how did that happen...

And like Cheryl, I think this quilting for just me is what I need at this time of my life.....doesn't say I will never go back, but for right now it fits. Also it doesn't say that I will never go back to a 8-5 or parttime job either, its just what's right...right now.

Robin & others, I understand the commute thing on ice and snow, I do about 25 miles one way on an old two lane that gets plowed only after the more heavily used roads. I've learned to be patient with mother nature after 30 years of commuting. Luckily I work for a very flexible small insurance agency and they understand. I would love to be home quilting full-time, but I think I would also miss my co-workers and the customers at the office. Even though some can be a real pain; most are good people. I feel I have a nice blend now, I work 4 days a week and usually quilt all day Friday. My boss knows that quilting is my passion and is trying to work with me in achieving my dream. I'm hoping to go to a 3-day work week this year as my duties are changing -- that would seem to be perfect...we'll see.

By the way...a quilt I quilted was on Fons & Porter show last week. That's pretty exciting!

Robin, I don't miss the black ice or the 18 inch snow pack that you get.....spring breakup is so fun.... NOT....

Here they use so much salt that you have bare grounds year around, but man you have to hit the car wash almost daily to keep the rust away.;)

Sharon...don't envy you driving on icy roads...I did live in Iowa...but in a suburb of Des Moines. Great place to live. My DH worked for Allied Insurance at the time.

That is exciting about having a quilt on their show!

Bonnie,

I'll let you know when I get it planned. :P:P:D:D:D

Cheryl

I think we all have to vent once in a while. As for all the positives, yeah! As much as we can vent, we all love doing the work or we wouldn't keep doing it.

I originally thought what a great way to justify one of these machines. Now I can get some of my own done. :P:P:P

I have forty tops of my own to quilt. I've been too busy with customers to get any of my own done! I only slide one in here or there when I need a gift! My customers have found that it's do much easier to have me quilt their tops. That leaves them much more time to make their next top! Go figure!!! I have one lady who loves piecing and does such precision work it's amazing. She hates the "quilting" part. Gets in the way of her next top! Works for me.

Archived