Fairfield Batting

The only trouble I have with Hobbs is when it is pre packaged, it looks like a gorilla folded it. I used a 50/50 from Mountain Mist, can't remember what it was called. The only fluffy polly I get is Hobbs anymore, but about every other year or so I order one. My customers like Hobbs 80/20, I use king, queen and black. Warm and Natural. And Quilters dream a blend of some sort. I love batting and enjoy trying different ones. Usually I do the test on a baby quilt and have them wash it and dry it, with the 4 grandchildren I have used different ones in the past 3 years and it's neat to see how they last.

Oh washable wool from Hobbs is also great.

Sue

• 1 month later...

My name is Judy Novella and I’m the marketing manager at Fairfield. I’m disappointed to have found this thread and discovered that Quilter’s 80/20 batting hasn’t performed to your satisfaction. It is our mission to produce quality products and we take product complaints very seriously. We welcome your feedback and encourage quilters and crafters to communicate with us directly at consumer@poly-fil.com.

We offer many types of batting and strive to educate quilters at all levels about the benefits of selecting the right batting for their quilts. Information about Fairfield’s battings and recommended uses can be found at www.poly-fil.com/batting.asp. For those of you who are machine quilters and long arm quilters and who like cotton and cotton blend batting, I recommend trying the Machine 60/40 Blend and our Nature-Fil Bamboo because these battings have a scrim and will withstand the tugging required to mount it on the frame.

On a final note I am very disturbed that any package would state that our product is made by Mountain Mist. That is absolutely untrue. If anyone has a package with that information on it, I would very much like to see it as the package and product is counterfeit and we would like to pursue its origins. Please email me at consumer@poly-fil.com if you have one.

Your never going to believe this....I Just got off the phone with Ms. Novella, and she will be getting me a list of where we can obtain the 60/40 blend battings, for those of use who haven't yet gotten wholesale I.D. or depend on our customers bringing us batting. Those of you who do have I.D.'s can contact Fairfield and they will set up a wholesale account...they may very well send out a sample piece of the product to you if you ask for it.

I haven't seen it in the market place and no one else has mentioned this batting so I called her to see where it can be found....and we had a lengthy conversations about battings and what applications each should be used in. Come to find out that most of the battings our customers are bringing to us aren't meant for Longarm machine, they really are and should be used for hand quilting...this 60/40 is more on the line that they intended for Machine quilters.

She is sending me a crib size to try out and I told her that I would be reporting back not only to her, but to you as well as my likes and dislikes of the product. I'm so excited about this....I do have trouble finding battings down here, my LQS's are small, and they don't always carry all the brands or even have choices so this will be exciting for me to see how I like it. Can't wait and I will be back with my report.

I always buy Hobbs on the rolls. I used a packaged Hobbs 80/20 and it didn't even look like the same brand as the 80/20 from the roll. Looked like 2 completely different products. A local quilt shop had it and the owner gave it to me because she hated it. I showed her the difference in mine off the roll and she was amazed. She loves my 80/20 but won't purchase the individual sizes in the bags anymore.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

.....I might be wrong, but I believe that this specific type of Fairfield batting might say on the package: "for hand quilting" or "not recommended for machine quilting" or... something like that? ??? Check the bag and see what it says. The reason I say this is because I think there are two types of Fairfield batting (maybe more types???) and one is design and for hand and one is for machine?? Someone gave me a roll of Fairfield for hand and it fell apart, was super fuzzy and lots of lint and in general a PITA to use on the machine... BUT....I've used the Fairfield for machine quilting and it was very nice. It didn't stretch or pull and had a nice soft loft.

I am curious if you got the wrong type of batting for this application. Let me know, OK???

Originally posted by Fairfield

My name is Judy Novella and I’m the marketing manager at Fairfield. .....We offer many types of batting and strive to educate quilters at all levels about the benefits of selecting the right batting for their quilts......I recommend trying the Machine 60/40 Blend and our Nature-Fil Bamboo because these battings have a scrim and will withstand the tugging required to mount it on the frame.

Judy, thanks for popping in here and mentioning the "hand" vs "machine" batting. I posted my message (above) on this specifically and I agree with you there are two types. I have used both and realized that one is for hand and one is for machine. I have used the machine batt with success and I really liked it. So, bottom line is the customers are not reading the fine print, or don't realize there are two different types out there... So, my suggestion is to please make some sort of bold obvious indication on your packaging that specifies "Recommended For Longarm Machine Quilting" or "Recommended For Hand Quilting ONLY"

Like I said before, I have used your "for machine quilting" batting and I liked it a lot. Nice hand, no fuzz/fluff, and it held up well on the frame and quilted beautifully. :)

Shana

Originally posted by Bonnie

.......She is sending me a crib size to try out and I told her that I would be reporting back not only to her, but to you as well as my likes and dislikes of the product. I'm so excited about this....I do have trouble finding battings down here, my LQS's are small, and they don't always carry all the brands or even have choices so this will be exciting for me to see how I like it. Can't wait and I will be back with my report.

Bonnie, (mom) let us know how your test goes. :)

I just received an email from Judy Novella...here is part of what that said:

Hi, Bonnie,

It was a pleasure speaking with you this morning, thank you for calling.

As we discussed, Machine 60/40 batting is not widely distributed, however it can be ordered directly through us so long as the buyer has a tax ID number.

It appears that Hobby Lobby and Hancock stores have ordered and may have stock. It can also be purchased on the internet through Roseann's Dolls http://www.roseannsdolls.com/faquba.html There are a few independent stores throughout the country, but it doesn't make sense to list them.

I also want to let all of you know, since I was the one that mis-spoke when I said that Fairfield was manufactured by Mountain Mist, it is not. I got my packages and brain mixed up.

Judy, if you are lurking, I prefer my crow well done.

I checked at Joann's tonight and while they did carry Fairfield 80/20. No 60/40 was anywhere to be seen. But, honestly? That didn't really surprise me as Joann's most like does not get enough long arm quilters in there purchasing batting to make it worth their while.

Originally posted by QuiltFaerie

I....I checked at Joann's tonight and while they did carry Fairfield 80/20. No 60/40 was anywhere to be seen. But, honestly? That didn't really surprise me as Joann's most like does not get enough long arm quilters in there purchasing batting to make it worth their while.

I am going to request that my local Jo Ann store carry the 60/40 batting. Perhaps if we all suggest that our local stores carry it then maybe they will! :)

I actually cut out the package label from this horrible batting and wrote with a black marker on it and said never buy this. I did this for myself so I would remember it. I don't do any customers yet. I would have to refuse it as it is so linty My nose was bothered by it. It pulled apart and was a real pain to use.

I have been getting a lot of the Fairfield 80/20 batting from my customers, they have been getting it from JoAnn Fabrics. I hate this stuff but do accept it when brought to me. However I do let my customers know that in the future I would prefer they bring warm & natural products, hobbs, or quilters dream products. I never knew this batting was to be used for hand quilting only...I wonder if JoAnn's buyers for their stores are aware of this or if they assumed like the rest of us. Perhaps Fairfield should educate their big retailor stores so that they could provide better service.

I too am thinking of ordering a sample of this better stuff to try.

Mary Beth you made me giggle....I don't know how many times over the years shopping at either Joann's or Hancock's I have been the one helping the customer's decide on how much fabric or what kinds to buy because the store help were either to busy to help (hiding as I call it) or just didn't know how to....

I'm thinking we need to educate the higher ups...managers and even corporate buyers of our needs not the store staff, its way over their heads...and as much as I hate this phase "They just don't get it."

One thing that comes to mind after reading all these postings is when the package states hand quilting, well we all know what that is. But when it states machine quilting...is it talking about a DSM or a longarm machine. In my book those are two different beasts. On a DSM the quilts are pinned or basted for the machine, only a small section that is being worked on has an tension being applied, the rest is on a side table or your lap, so no real tugging. On a long arm, as we all know things are alittle different. These low cost battings have been around along time, wide spread longarming is a much newer event. I wonder if any of these batts that everyone has problems with have had any quality control testing done on longarms. I think it would help if instead of just labeling a bag hand or machine or would be better to label "hand, DSM or longarm". Just my opinion.

Dianne

I saw Fairfields 60/40 batting at Hobby Lobby on friday and it does say for longarm quilting. I wouldn't have even looked for it except for this thread.

I wonder if they are trying to get rid of it because it was a queen size and was on clearance for 23.99. Started at $38.

Archived