Best Advice I Ever Received

JudyL

:o I do not own a longarm yet. Have been looking into it for a number of years. Like everyone else the money is a big part of the plan. I will continue to read the boards and am going to a seminar in Portland, Maine in August. I let you know how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...
:D Went to the Portland LA Quilting Seminar on Friday. Tried all the machines and meet my local dealer. Mary it was really nice to meet and talk with you. Am glad that I brought my husband, he was quiet impressed. Looks like we will be buying in the near future. I look forward to the practice, practice, practice.......

• 1 year later...

Judy is so right! I spent the first couple of days with my machine in a 'take charge' mode which crumbled when I couldn't even do a panto smoothly. I spent another day crawling around underneath it looking for the bobbin which fell out repeatedly, fixing broken threads and replacing needles. I didn't have a clue that there were sites on the net where I could ask questions. I finally wound up sitting on the floor bawling in frustration. I locked the door to the studio and didn't go back in for six weeks. Looking back now it all seems so funny to me. Sometimes I go for a week or two without touching her (I'm piecing!) then I get on a roll and will quilt 15 hours a day for days on end. Does anyone else quilt in their sleep? I dream quilts and quilting when I get started.

Jan

• 1 year later...

It's such a relief to hear that I'm not the only one scared of my new machine. I bought a used Ultimate II. My daughter named her Sally, but my husband calls her the Quilting Beast. It arrived the week before Christmas and took me two evenings to assemble. Then the holidays came & went. I went back to work full time, then took another evening to level the table and another to get the leaders on. I've found myself making excuses why I haven't actually used my machine much, like putting away holiday decorations, etc. but the fact is I'm intimidated.

Thanks for the advice! When I get home tonight I'm going to quilt!!!

I was intimidated when my machine arrived and was assembled. Other than the original muslin practice piece that was mounted when the machine was set up, I was fearful of moving past that comfort zone onto something "real". Longarm University ran a program over New Years Day that had you piece a simple top one day and then had you quilting different freehand motifs the next day. Each step of the quilting was announced in an email and then a video was available to show how to quilt the next phase along with tips. Thisw program was really helpful with the fear factor. You watched the videos, then went to your machine and quilted. Kinda like having someone hold your hand and give you help along the way. Also took that quilters block of looking at a blank muslin expanse out of the equation.

I retired last year so you would think that I would have hours to use my machine BUT things come up like breaking my arm and who knows what else. It seems months or weeks would pass before I could get on. My husband finally said you are going to have to put the time in. I am trying now to work everyday and commit myself to serious effort. When I had a job they set the hours but when I am doing something for myself it takes self discipline. I read a book by a famous dancer and she set a schedule for herself daily to practice and work out. I want to do this and set a goal that I finish all the tops I have and clear the creative air and improve my skills. I give myself permission to make all the learning mistakes necessary to IMPROVE. Cheryll

Well, here I am at 1:30 am looking at these postings about being intimidated with their machine. It has gotten so bad that I am ready to sell it, because I just can't seem to bring myself to quilt. I've had my machine for 9 months now and I still have the same quilt on it. I've worked on it today and I only have a small amount to finish and the needle broke. I see myself once again turning away and not going back for another couple of months. I really need some help...lessons, one on ones, something. If anybody knows anybody who is in Salt Lake City or close, please help me out. I want to do this so bad, but I'm at a road block!

Hi Janis--hang on!!!!!

Go to the first APQS page here and click on the "find a dealer" bar. Click on the map of the US and then on Utah.

There is a rep in Salt Lake City. Click on her email and send her your dilemma and phone number.

The dealers are there to help you even if you didn't purchase your machine from them.

If you bought your machine new and less than a year ago, you get a free beginner's class which will help you be more comfortable. My heart goes out to you--you need a boost and someone will come to your aid!!!

I've had my machine since April 2007, still have not done a quilt. Lots of practice then I didn't do anything on it. I know I just have to get something on the machine and practice or quilt. I did put a quilt on my hq and tried to computer quilt, but did not like the results and took it off to rip it. Where is my motivation?

I just had a phone message asking about the machine quilting. I would not put my quilt on, I certainly would not do one for someone else. I need courage.

Originally posted by jallyblue

..........If anybody knows anybody who is in Salt Lake City or close, please help me out. I want to do this so bad, but I'm at a road block!

Janis,

Have you considered taking classes at HMQS? Home Machine Quilter's Showcase It's a big quilt show happening in May in Salt Lake City... your town! Lots of longarm quilter teachers will be there..... Lots of classes to choose from

Check it OUT!!! Link below:

http://www.hmqs.org/index.html

Janis...have you moved to SLC...just wondering as your location is set for La Quinta, which is WAY in southern CA and almost an 11 hour drive from SLC.... If you are still in SoCA I would contact either the dealer in Muretta or contact Jessica in AZ for help....they are way closer.

Hi,

I am a newbie and just ordered a new Millenium this week. Wahoo!!! I am super excited! It shoiud be here in 2-3 weeks.

I love reading all the forums; and truthfully, I can't believe it's all FREE! You could all charge a ton for what you give out!!

I can't wait for my new "baby" so I can put all your ideas to work!

Thanks, I love you all!!

LinneaMarie:D:D:D

Hi Linea Marie

Nice to have you join us and Congratulations on your new Millie coming. You need to post a message under new topic to introduce yourself as this post is a little old and most have already read it so Start a new one and let everyone welcome you . We love to hear from Newbies as much as you like to read all the posts.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by mmqstation

I really want to start a long arm busniess, But I'm scared to death. We have looked at mill and like it very much. To start a business we would have to have funding. Need to have a building and buy a machine. Just don't know what to do. Any advice.:

Go speak to your local small business developement center. Most cities/towns have them. This is where you get some advice at low cost or free. Get advice from a CPA. Also, order the APQS packet that gives you information on running a business. There are books in the library, web sites here on the Internet, that are a wealth of information and will answer many of your questions.

Talk with local quilt shops and your local longarm quilters in your area to get their thoughts on how busy they are and if there is a special niche that needs to be filled and you can fill it.

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to add my thoughts to this thread...

I'm way up in northern Canada where there's no help for me. (I mean with my machine! ) I bought my Milli about 4 years ago, my hubby assembled in the basement, I went upstairs \\, closed the basement door and wouldn't go down there! Not for love nor money would I go down those stairs. Talk about being scared! I could feel my blood pressure go up when that door was open and I could see the machine sitting there.

Then I went to Abbotsford and took some lessons from Darlene Epp and that helped me a lot, but what was even better (sorry Darlene) were all the videos and DVD's I found on the internet. They are worth their weight in gold and I suggest that every knew owner should invest in several different DVD's and watch them over and over and over. Then try some of the techniques you've learned from these DVD's. They are a wonderful learning tool. Better yet, perhpas APQS could include a list of teachers that have DVD's with the machines when they sell them. Maybe there's even a list here on this site...tho I've not seen it.

I'm no longer afraid of my machine tho it still makes me pretty mad when the tension isn't right or needles are breaking etc.

So to all you newbies, get yourself some DVD's and videos and watch them, then practice. You'll be glad you did!

Rita

I'm so glad for this post. I have been feeling that way. I haven't touched my machine in months. I, like MaryBeth, only do pantos. I don't feel like i can do freehand other than a meander.

I have only done 3 customer quilts and they turned out very nice but I still don't feel comfident enough.

Thank you Judy L for the encouragement to keep going improving.

Judy - great advice and so true! While I was still working I, of course, was short of time so didn't spend much quality and consistent time with my machine -- since I retired as of Jan 1, I have the freedom to do so and I love it. And naturallly am getting much better (if I do say so myself!) --

Myrna has excellent advice - 'just do it!' She is so right - the more you do the more successful you are and the more you love it.

I visit your blog frequently, Judy -- fun to hear about your adventures (esp the chickens)

Patsy

• 1 year later...

I am interested in purchasing a long arm within the next year. I have spent the last two years trying them at shows and looking into what options I might want. Currently I do my quilting on a Bernnina. The Bernnina offers a long arm attachment but I am unsure if I want to go that route.

• The Bernnina is heavy and don’t want to risk the damage moving from table to machine.

• I would like to have two projects going and be able to move from one to the other dependent on my mood.

• I also think trying to fit too many options into one product is a little much.

Of all the machines I have looked at I liked the Gammill and APQS machines. They seem sturdy and long lasting. My turn off for the Gammill but it’s not out my mind is the extra options such as an MP3 player. This is going back to I want a quilting machine not another “I” product.

For the APQS I am unsure of what model I would want… or what would be best. I make large quilts. Often larger then kings. I don’t know why they just grow. But I do make other sizes and want to start putting my stuff into shows as I get older.

I also like nontraditional things. I may make a rail fence but I like to embellish and create abstract designs. So I am all over the chart. My next concern is sound. How loud is the machine in the home? If I am up at 2 am will I wake up the rest of the house?

I would appreciate some thoughts on all of this. I can be reached at shanrobeson@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance.

Archived