Wheels need adjusting????? Help

belquilt

I have always quilted from the front doing freemotion and I have recently started to quilt for other people some who want pantos rather than freemotion. SOOOOO I go to the back to the the panto and it seems so much looser in the back than the front. Is there an adjustment to my wheels I need to do so I feel like I have control of my machine? Right now in the back I feel like its too loose. But when I am quilting free motion in the front of the machine it feels fine.

HELP!!!

Hi Beth, yes, you'll need to tighten up the screws that hold the wheels to the frame. I'm not using the correct terminology, and I'm not near my manual, so I can't give a better description. Anyway, look through your manual, I found that the tightening was kind of a trial and error until I found the right spot. It sounds frightening, but it's not difficult at all.

I'm sure someone else will chime in here with more accurate terms and helpful info.

Hi Beth

First check that your table is level back to front and lengthways and that the crossbars are equally tightened there are instructions for this on this forum. You must do this before adjusting the wheels.

Go to the section of your manual that explains adjusting the wheels and search this forum for posts relating to wheel adjustment, then look at the pictures of the wheels on the table and carriage rails to see if your wheels are adjusted correctly. The table rail should be sitting in the top of the inside curve of the carriage wheel, not in the centre of the carriage wheel (too tight) or with the lip of the wheel resting on the rail (that positions is too loose).

If you hold the back of the carriage on both sides, does the carriage wiggle from side to side - if it does, its too loose and you need to adjust the cams.

Adjust them to the suggested positions ie. 5 o clock or 9 o clock and see how it feels then make tiny adjustments from there until you get the feel you like. For these tiny adjustments I look at where the wheels are resting on rail, not the position of the offset cams. Make sure both wheels are adjusted the same though or they will be fighting with each other and you won't get a smooth glide.

Good luck

sue in australia

Beth and Sue,

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate them both. I was surprised by how loose the machine felt from the back (panto side) as opposed to the front doing free motion.

Sue - thanks so much for the tips and especially the one about the back of the carriage - the carriage does wiggle from side to side. Your description is perfect also.

All of you are wonderful. I am so thankful I can chime in and get help from you all!

Thanks,

Beth

Archived