zippered leaders

spools

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Zipper system however I still pin my Zippers while watching tv or something. I will also baste with DSM just as soon as I have the sewing space. I always have my Machine table covered with tools for longarming as its my only option for now. I have to clean up work area and move sewing table out to get into chair to sew. LOTS of trouble. Soon that will be eliminated. I can't wait. I miss sewing a great deal.

The Zipper system is worth every penny.

Originally posted by bonbon

Sue~ off the zipper subject a bit, but how much do you charge your "friend" to rent the your machine? That's a tough one for me, although I don't think I should let her use it for free.

Bonnie

I charge my friend $20 per hour to use my Millie. She supplies all her own supplies such as thread, batting, etc. as she works at a store where she gets discounts on these items.

She hasn't used my machine since before Christmas. Her husband bought her a new Bernina with the stitch regulator for Christmas and she loves it. She also lives about a 40 minutes drive from me and I think the time involved in driving, the cost of gas, and the cost of using my machine are deterents for her since she has the stitch regulator. She also was quilting for others and not charging them enough to cover her costs to me:( (She was amazed at how long it took to load the quilt, quilt a king-sized quilt, and make sure she didn't get any puckers and pleats - which she usually did.) She was amazed that the learning curve was longer and harder than she anticipated.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sorry she isn't using my Millie. She was very impatient and would never really listen to what I was telling her - one day she loaded the backing and top in one direction and then loaded the batting in the opposite direction and had to go home to add more batting when she ran out about a foot or so from the bottom of the quilt. She couldn't understand why she had so much on each side because she knew she had measured and cut it correctly. Before she started quilting I questioned her several times about if it was in the proper direction. And, she usually wanted to use the machine right after I loaded a quilt and got my tension perfect for it and wanted me to take mine off so she could do hers or at other times when it was inconvenient for me.:mad:

Myrna that is a great idea and suggestion. I didn't think of that. I will do the same thing. It makes perfect since. I discovered an area that I skipped on one a while back and had to REPIN the zippers to reattach it. Had I done this and looked it over well while hanging it would have saved me alot of time.

I wont' waste any time getting the same setup. I love that.

Thanks. What a time SAVER!!! Something we can all appreciate.

Note:

Sally I'm not sure what you mean my the alternation of zippers. But I do not have the Zipper Heads on all of my Leaders as I understand you do. I may have done it incorrectly. It works though. When I get home I'm going to have to check it out though. I have a leader that appears stretched so I was thinking of changing them. Also my front leader gets all curled up on the far right when working with smaller quilt tops and has managed to get that pressed in shape. I'm going to try and starch and press it flat. It isn't flat anymore and hard to keep rolled up flat. It has memory creases close the leader on the canvas. Kinda distorted in a way. Probly something I did. I would like the Canvas to be heavier weight and not have memory.

As of yet, I have not purchased zippers and also have a question since I've not examined any up close. The other day I was at a local upholstery wholesaler and they had zippers by the yard (metal and plastic) rather inexpensive. I was just curious, what would be different or make buying a zipper like this a bad idea. Like i said, I know nothing about these zippers and you all you ladies do and seem to like them a lot!

Thanks in advance for your input.

I haven't compared this but I will next time I have the opportunity where they sell the zippers by the foot. I'm curious myself.

I can tell you that the zippers I have are durable and are the made to fit the length of my leaders.

I think they are worth their weight in Gold. I did a few tops (about 12) just after I got my Machine and the time they save you is amazing. I keep an extra set just in case.

I have already accidently sliced (not all the way) a few of mine because I got so anxious to trim the top before removing the zippers. My bad.

Keep in mind that the zippers that you pin or Machine baste to the top and back are used over and over again many times. The ones I purchased from Myrna and Darlene are awesome in terms of quality.

Search Zippers in the forum and you will find MANY discussions about Zippers and an overwhelming opinion in favor of having them in your quilt studio.

• 3 months later...

Myrna, for those of us kind of reading challenged, did you mean you sewed an extra zipper leader to the muslin so you could zip the quilt to it and hang it before you took it off the zipper? I guess it makes sense as I type it but I was pretty confused for a minute. must be a Friday:P

Martha,

The Machine set has 6 zippers - really 3 pairs, like an 3 A

zippers and 3 B zippers. The A's get stitched to the leading

edge of the canvas leaders on your rollers. And yes, you can

use the longarm to do that. You will probably need your DH

or a friend to hold the zipper and canvas together as you

s-l-o-w-l-y stitch the zipper to the edge of the canvas. They

don't have to look good, but they do have to be straight.

The B's (which the ssame as a Quilt Set) get pinned or zigag-

stitched to your quilt top (1 zipper) and to the top and

bottom of the backing fabric. I zigzag, always have. Some

folks think that will cause the zipper to wear out faster. I

haven't noticed that on my zippers.

It is a great system. I have the machine set and 4 quilt sets

and I am thinking about getting a couple more sets. I like to

keep a practice quilt zipped up so I can grab it to try a new

technique. Then I have a project-that-never-ends quilt

that I zip on when I have an hour or two to play with it.

I am just getting started doing other peoples quilts but I

find that it helps me to put the zippers on as soon as I get

the quilts so I can be ready to go when the moment hits

me.

The QuickZip system is a Sue Schmieden invention and you

can find them at APQS or any dealer. I got mine from Myrna

Ficken, ship's fast. http://aquilterschoice.com/products.htm

You're gonna love them.

I am totally sold on the zipper system, but I have not purchased it yet...my questions is this...when I pin a quilt top to the front roller, as I quilt to the bottom edge, I then baste the top to the batting and backing and pull the pins out. That way I can quilt all the way to the edge of the quilt top. Here comes the question, finally, how does that work with the zipper system??

Ramona - thanks for the explanation. I am so used to getting a zipper in one piece, I never thought about one side for the quilt and one side for the leader. I will definitely be getting at least 2 quilt sets, I have 2 friends who have them and swear by them. I don't want to be stuck (or stick myself) because one quilt is on the machine and I need to work on something else.

I hope to get my machine this fall and I want to have it all planned out.

Martha

Bekah. Yes, this it. I have several zipper sets. So I took one and sewed it to a tube of muslin which goes onto my photo stand rod. I can unzip the quilt from the leaders and zip it to the muslin piece. It is just like zipping the quilt sandwich to the take up roller.

You can put the zippered muslin tube on a shower curtain, get a piece of copper tubing and hand it on the wall with inexpensive wooden rod hangers form the craft store. Paint them to match you decor. Fast and easy to check out your quilt before the final unpinning.

Mary Beth, It works the same the zips are not in the way it is as if you are pinning to the leader itself. Only you can zip it off. In my webshots album 19 I have photos that may give you a better idea. You will even see that I did a really not neat job of stitching them on to the rollers I keep thinking I will take them off and rest stitch them. But in my real world that?s not likely to happen :)

Guest Linda S

Mary Beth - there IS a way to get away from the blasted pins! I DON'T PIN - I'm allergic - pins cause my fingers to bleed! :P You can either baste your backings and tops to your zippers with a very large stitch and either frog or rip them off afterwards. You can also get a machine that has chain stitch capabilites -- kind of like the stitching at the top of a pet-food bag. You clip the end, pull one string, and off it comes! Here is my little gem that does the job for me. It is an antique Willcox and Gibbs Chainstitcher:

1312_wilcox__gibbs_2.jpg

I love this little machine. When I get to the bottom of the quilt, I pull the thread, detach the quilt from the zippers and roll that top leader out of the way. Then I am free to finish the bottom of the quilt. When I'm all done, I pull the thread on the backing zippers, and the whole quilt comes right off. Couldn't be easier! And, the best thing? NO PINS!! LOL

P.S. I got this little baby on Ebay. Some of the old Singer Touch and Sew machines have chainstitch capability too -- you can pick them up on Ebay for about $50 or less.

Linda :cool:

I also chain stich my quilt backs and tops to Velcro strips attached to muslin pieces that have the loop side of the velcro attached, then I just press in place. I have already attached the hook side of the velcro to the leaders on the Millenium. I have bought the zipper sets from Sue S and hope to attach them to the next quilt I will put on the machine. Will see which works better. I use an old Babylock serger EA605 with just two threads for the chain stitch and it has worked well so far. I just have some trouble figuring out the logistics of which side is up when I attach the strips and sometimes it is backwards but it still works. Sometimes I still have to pin the top edge of the quilt top before I stitch it to the batting and backing but I keep the pins right on the edge so the stitching is hidden in the binding later. Just finished my 40th quilt today and put 3/4 inch piping all around the edge. It looks pretty good but I did some trapunto and would like to try somethjing to make it stand out better but am not good at free motion meandering yet. I have the McTavish book and CD that APQS sent me and would like to try but don't want it ruined. Like you say practice practice practice. The quilt I put on the machine today is Stars across America. I started hand quilting it in 2003 but cut off my left thumb in May 2003 so could not finish it as I have no feeling in the end of the thumb so I put it on the Millenium and hope the machine stitching isn't too noticable as I want to finish it. These are all my own quilts which I may give as gifts or keep depending on how attached to them I am. I may even break down and sell some if anyone seems interested. Will let you know how I make out with the zippers.

O.K I'm sold on the zippers'

How are the zips put on your leaders, do you baste them on with needle & thread, ?????

or do you take the leader off the rollers & then sew them on with a DSM.???

I'll be getting mine at the Innovations convention in Sept.,

Just a curious, newbie :)

P.S. I think that the zips should come standard with the table, that way newbie's like me wouldn't have to ruff it until we can afford zips.:(

I just read the second page, & I see that you can sew the zips onto the rollers with the LA (I keep forgetting that the milli. is really a big old sewing machine) or pin them on.

That little old sewing machine is so darn cute, but I dout you could get it for 50. even on eBay, I'm going to look though

thanks for the tip Linda S. :D does it just chain stitch or will it do more ??

Guest Linda S

Gerry - my little machine only chain stitches, and it was more than 50 -- the old Singers that chain stitch (the touch n sew machines) can generally be bought for less than 50. I think a lot of people here know that the very FIRST thing I sewed on my longarm was my zippers! I am way too lazy to pin.

Linda

I don't have the zippers yet either but hope to get them soon.

So the zippers get basted onto both ends of the top & bottom so that you'd zip them onto the top and backing rollers as well as the take up roller?

From what I'm reading, we'll still have to pin baste the zipper to both ends of the top/backing but , we get to do it in front of the tv rather than bending over the LA....is this correct? Then we take these to the LA and zip them on...is this correct? :^)

Rita

Archived