Top Thread Problem and Needle testimonial!

AnnHenry

I had a similar problem to Kelly's thread problem with her "top sewing thread" in her "forum thread" entitled "Customer Service" problem in which her top thread was being pulled down and knotting and making a mess.

I changed needles three times to no avail, and finally I tried the new package of Gros-Beckert (or however it is spelled) needles that I had just bought from Superior Threads, and my problem miraculously disappeared ! ! ! So GB needles for me from now on forever.

So glad that you were able to resolve the problem, Ann. Here's the flip side of that issue, I was using the Gros-Beckert needles because I heard that they lasted so much longer than the Singer needles that came with our machines. I was having difficulty getting a perfect stitch and Amy (apqs wonder-tech) informed me that the G-B needles are just ever so slightly shorter than the Singer needles and that can mess with the timing of the stitch. I switched back to Singers.

I agree, Kenna. I use GB titanium needles and love them. I suspect it is all about your timing. If the needles are a bit shorter (really, I am unable to tell by eyeballing them) and your "bottoming" of the needle is good for your machine when timing it, there may not be an issue with the GB needles. I also use the Singer needles and have both on hand. Just my 2 cents an inch!!:D

I wouls think that if it works in your machine, don't fix it!:PIMHO

It may very well be that the vertical portion of the timing on one or the other of the machines is different by just a smidge (technical term, ya know!), so that one length of needle works in it better than the other length. Just know that the machines are set in the factory for the length of the Singer needles, I guess.

I should have mentioned that I have a Gammill. That may be relevant.

I should also mention that the needles I was using were not Singer, but these (what brand is this?) needles that my dealer included with my machine.

Those needles worked well for a long time (since April 2008) until I broke that needle that came out because it wasn't screwed in tight. I posted about that situation previously. I didn't have any trouble immediately after that episode, but eventually I did, and I assumed I had screwed up the timing at that time and was afraid I would have to learn how to time my machine! However changing to the GB needle fixed that problem immediately and so far. I probably still have a minor timing problem, but as long as I can get away with it with different needles, I'm grateful.

And thanks to these nice APQS people who let this alien come to their spot and are helpful. I don't even go to the Gammill site . . .

Thanks for the info about what makes GB needles different.

post--13461901082921_thumb.jpg

Archived