Read leachine onto white square! HELP

Ginny,

You can usually find synthrapol at any quilt shop. If you don't have one near you just google it. You can also find it at any place that sells fabric dyes. Dharma Trading Co. has it and there are plenty of others. It is very frustrating to have something like this happen! The bleeding is usually caused by excess dye left from the dying process. Sometimes though you get a bad dye that won't set. I hope that isn't the case. Just keep soaking it.

I have had this happen and ruined a Baltimore Album style quilt. Now I prel-wash all fabric and set it with Retayne. If it is a red color I always do a bleed test. Just wet the fabric and lay on a paper towel and put something heavy on it. If after 15 minutes there is no bleed then I know it is safe for my quilt.

Good luck!

I am so reluctent to try anything. The fabric is not from my stash. I had a gal piece this quilt for me at a time when I was booked to get it done on time. She as a kindness took this piece from her stash. I did not ask if it had been prewashed. Haste makes waste!

Think I have learned an expensive lesson. Still going to try The Synthrapol and pray it works. If it doesn't I will start over. It is so sad it only bled on two of the white blocks and it is a queen size quilt.

Thank you so much for your good advice and the web sites also.

Ginny

Hi Ginny,

Along with the Syntrapol, use a lot of "dye catcher sheets" in the water.

You can usually get those in the detergent dept. of most stores.

I use dye catcher sheets whenever I wash fabric or quilts. I just throw in a handful of them (5,6,7, or more)---You will be amazed at the color dyes they "catch".

Good luck!

Archived