practice pieces

Depends on your vision for the end product. If you're donating to the local animal shelter, do anything you want. If you want to chance producing your first prize winning wholecloth, you best square and load as you would your best customer quilt.

I like to draw on the practice piece--usually traditional quilt blocks, or something I'm currently working on. That way you have a template and boundary with a purpose. I did the muslin practice for a long time, then got more adventuresome and tried some scrappy quilts. Preprinted panels are fun and easy. I work around the edges to adjust my tension, then go for it.

You can make shopping bags with your practice pieces! Just sew a box and put handles on it.

Most important----have fun!:P

great ideas! i hadn't gotten to the point of thinking about a plan for them. when you make them for the dog shelter, do you bind them? actually, i just cut a hunk of muslin off & used some cheapo batting i had, because i'm anxious to play with my double baptist fan. i have a real quilt that i'm going to do the baptist fan on but wanted to practice on something before doing the real mccoy. in the future i will cut them square & treat it like the real thing. thanks for the insight!

The way I see it is this: fabric and batting still have considerate cost...even if it is el cheapo!

I do alot of charity quilts and those for the homeless. Actually, the more plain, 'ugly' the quilt is, it is better for the homeless as it serves a purpose of keeping them warm...and is less likely to be stolen.

Anything that us quilters produce, will most certainly be loved by somebody and isn't this one of the reasons we quilt!!

My local animal shelter isn't picky about what they get. I don't bind but it's easy to run a stitch around the outer edges before you take it off the machine and trim. If I was giving to a women's shelter or homeless center, I would fold the back over the front and use my DSM to topstitch.

You could recycle the practice piece by applying another piece of fabric over your practice. Depends on how dense you "practiced". The back will look very confused, but it's just another way to conserve.

Archived