Bear Rugs (Check out this request)

So we get this email from our web site (we actually know the guy from High Shool...so weird!) and this is the e-mail:

I was wondering if you might be interested in doing the backing and felt work on my bear rugs. At this time I am have a wholesaler in montana stretching them after I mount them and sewing on the felt and backing. I don't know if the equipment that you have will work for something this heavy, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

What do you all think?

Did he kill the bear?? I have such an issue with bear hunters, especially after having worked some criminal cases where they were baited and/or just hunted for the money the hunter could get for the gall bladder.

And what exactly is "felt work"?

I'm with Linda..

YUCK

I agree ICKKKKKY. Isn't felt work where they go about 1/2 inch further beyond the actual skin? And that way if you lay it on the floor, only the felt touches the floor. So the felt just needs to be stitched to the skin. I'm thinking that a mid arm machine like a George would do better than a standup longarm. But even then, I wouldn't want to tackle this. Out of all those Big Game Hunters out there, someone should have a name of someone who does this on a regular basis. Just my 2 cents worth:o

PattyJo is right on...its a rug like felt that is actually glued to the hide, but extends several inches away from the actual hide....then its sewn on with a leather sewing machine like one you would have in a boot shop. I wouldn't put my LA in there for any price. Its not that it wouldn't handle the hide that's pretty thin, but the hair and the thickness of that might be much and would or could really mess up your timing.

He needs to stick with the guys in Montana for that, there are several who do beautiful work there. Without the right sewing machine it could be not worth the hassle.

I think he needs to apply the correct piece of equipment to add the felt backing to the bear skin. A longarm machine is not the applicabe equipment for use. I would think an industrial strength sewing machine with a large bed would be fit for purpose. If he's a taxidermist he would know the correct way to apply this felt to the skin and a longarm quilting machine is not the correct machine to use.

I would never put something like this on my machine but I thought you would all get a kick out of this request. I would venture to say one of the weirdest ones!!

Could you imagine, you would be sewing and having a bear looking up at you. WEIRRRRRRDDDD!!! LOL :P

It's the kind of thing I'd try, dunno if it would work. I do know leather quilts like a dream and well it's all skin.

I guess that fact that I am thinking "Hmmm interesting challenge" probably means the sane should pass on the option.

The worst thing I have quilted was the panels for the chair. The machine didn't really like the poly wadding and heavy stabiliser combo. It didn't mind either on their own but not the two together.

I would however want to know the back story. I am a bit picky about how and why things are killed.

Ferret

Archived