I have been a lurker for some time, but finally reached my max frustration and am begging for help.

I am struggling with Batiks on my Millenium!

Here is what I am doing, please add some suggestions so I can stop the top thread snapping every few metres.

LAVA thread from Superior on top

Bottom Line in the bobbin

Batiks top and bottom

Bamboo Batt

Reduced speed

Loosened the rollers a tad

3.5 needle AND a 4.0 needle, no difference

Any ideas?

Thanks, Deanna

Have you tried to loosening the top tension a bit - as in one half or one full turn to the left?

Also, try a bead or two of Sewer's Aid silicone on the cone of Lava thread. Batiks can be abrasive - the silicone might help.

Another thing that might help is to lightly spray the top with Sullivan's silicone - made for fabric.....it leaves no residue or smell.

Best of luck - believe me, I know how frustrating it is when nothing seems to work....sometimes it's a good idea to walk away from the machine for a few minutes - rather than beat it with a sledgehammer :) - then come back and try again.

Try to loosen the bobbin thread also, I know how frustrating it is, I've been there. I bought lots of silicone thread conditioner and use that whenever my thread starts breaking and play with my tensions. I actually called APQS last year for help, Dawn Cavanaugh was so kind and helpful, solved most of my thread problems.

Corey

Deanna,

Lava is a thicker thread than most (a 35wt.) as opposed to a 50 wt. such as So Fine. Combine that with the densely woven batik fabrics (200 threads per square inch) and a thinner batting, and it's no wonder you're having difficulty. Here are a few more suggestions to try:

[*] Even though some quilters use 3.5 needles on Batiks, with the thread you're using you need a needle large enough to separate those tight batik fibers and make room for both the needle AND the thread. If the needle's too small, you'll have poor tension because the top thread can't squeeze into the hole. (Remember, as you stitch, each needle hole actually has TWO strands of the top thread in it--the part entering the hole, and the other part exiting the hole. You need room for BOTH.) Try a 4.5.

[*] I'm harping about needle flex again (see this month's QuiltTalk article on the home page) but it can have a tremendous impact on your stitch quality. Since Lava is both thick AND strong, it will really tug at the needle with every stitch. A stronger needle will reduce its impact.

[*] I know you've loosened the fabric a bit, but be sure the fabric isn't stretched too tightly between the rollers. Stitching through a taut "drum skin" is a lot harder than stitching through relaxed fabric. This is especially true with batiks, since the thread count is so high.

[*] Adjust your movement speed so that you aren't "whipping" around the quilt, which will increase needle flex.

[*] Select a stitch length somewhere between 10-12 SPI so the needle doesn't have to travel as far between stitches, which can also impact stitch quality.

[*] Try a practice piece off to the side with a different batting, one with a little loft, and see if you still have trouble.

[*] loosen both the TOP and BOBBIN tension until the stitches look terrible, but the top thread doesn't break. Then start tightenening them both up, starting with the TOP thread. Tighten the bobbin 1/4 turns at a time, but the top tension can be tightened more with each turn of the knob.

[*] and I agree with hmerrill about skipping a hole or two on the first thread guide; it takes some pressure off the thread.

[*] finally, thoroughly inspect the machine for burrs, especially the thread guide and needle plate.

Let us know how it's going!

Duh, I had never thought about there being two threads in the eye of the needle. I know exactly what you mean but somehow it had never really registered.

I wonder if that is what causes some of the tension drift I see with some threads. It's the two threads jamming on each other.

Fascinating.

Ferret

I just went thru this on a quilt that I had to rip out.

I changed the needle size 3 times and thread twice.

I called my sewing machine mechanic. What he advised worked and I got the King quilt done in cple hrs.

I have a Nolting so the needle size might be diff.

I put in a size 20 needle,after it was in he told me to flex it back towards the hook. So very gently rock it back towards the hok,only cple times. Just a back motion not forward. You are not bending the needle,just flexing it.

I got Sewers Aid,put four lines down the spool of thread,two drops on the thread in the bobbin case,one drop ech side.

The one drop on the needle qnd spend it around.

I did this and started my first row. IT WORKED:D:D:D

No skipping,no thread breaking..no problems. OH Happy Dance.

I started the second row and the thread broke...so i put more sewers aid on the needle and no more problems.

So every row I did I put a drop on the needle.

The quilt was 93" long so the sewers aid wore off...not a problem.

The tension was perfect front and back,no thread breaking,no skipping,etc.

Hope this helps

Deanna:

I spray my batik with silicone spray I get from Kingsmen quilting supply online. It works every time! Also, I'm sure someone said this already, but make sure your quilt sandwich isn't too tight. Sometimes I spray both the top and the bottom (just before I quilt each section) and the thread, and anything else that might make a difference. The silicone spray does not leave any residue whatsoever.

Good luck!

I have also heard to spritz the fabric with a solution of water & fabric softener. Haven't tried it yet, but have it on my list of possibilities when having trouble with Batik fabrics.

I'm reading these ideas with great intersest, as I'm getting ready to put a Batik monster back on the frame this weekend. The last time I was working on it, in December, I ended up having to send my machine out to the shop :( I'm more than a little scared to try to do this quilt again, so I'm arming myself with all the ideas I can find!!

Wow! I must have beginners luck.:) I just took a quilt off the machine today - batik both top and bottom, lava on top and sew fine in the bobbin & #4 needle. My only difference was using QD Wool. I had heard all the stories about batik so I knew to go slower and keep everything steady. I used a panto so was able to secure threads off the edge of the quilt. Big sign of relief when I finished without one single hiccup!! Now, I am really relieved!!

I always use a 4 Singer needle. I use primarily quality cotton thread usually the same ont he bottom as on the top. I often run a bead of silicon down my spool of thread. I've never had a persistant problem with the tension on a batik.

Threads I use Presencia, Sulky Blendables and solids, Superior, YLI.

Than You Thank You Thank You!!

I have been struggling with the batik I have on my machine! I have done many others before with really no problems but this one had me soooooo frustrated!! The first time across -no problem-then breakage every inch and half or so-AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH. Decided to to take a break after changing needles, tension, threads every I could think of. Got a cup of tea and decided go to the Chat for a while and read this post. What ??Sewer's Aide?? I thought it was worth a try picked it up at Joann's and I completed the quilt this afternoon!! I am a Sew Happy Quilter!!!

Thanks again

Patty:cool::cool::cool:

Hi everyone,

On the subject of Batiks I thought I mention that there is a difference between the thread counts of the different brands of batiks. For example, the Princess Mariah (sp?) seem to be a bit looser weave than say Hoffman. That would make a difference in all the problems or not people are having.

Thank you all for the many suggestions. The quilt is finally done. Changing to a larger needle helped, 4.5, and I have yet to try putting the Lava in the bobbin, so that I am using the same thread top and bottom. Sounds like I need to load some practice batiks, but hate to practice on the good stuff.

Anyway, you were all great for helping out.

Great information here, Batiks are NOT my favorite to quilt, some just breeze along and others are one big headache.

My question is for those who have been using Sewer's Aid for awhile, does it cause any build up in you bobbin casing around the needle?????

Oh and do you have any problems with the timing when you change the needle size????

Archived