What to do with an all-over hand embroidered quilt

Good morning...

A friend asked me to quilt a baby quilt for her. It is a crib size which has a large embroidered picture. It is all hand-embroidered with cross-stitch. It has puckered some from the embroidery. I'm a little scared to try it on the long arm for fear it would get caught up in the needle. I don't think I can press all the puckering out. I noticed on the back that she had quite a few areas where she crossed from one point to another with the thread. Since this would be buried would there still be a chance of it getting caught? I surely don't want to ruin the top with all her hard work.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks much.

Diane

Hi GrammieDiane,

I seem to receive a lot of these to quilt and have never had a problem with the thread snagging.

Just a few things to check.

Before pressing make sure all of the blue dots are washed out. Otherwise they will be set in forever, or seem that hard to get out.

Just quilt as desired, I have done both a large all over meander and custom, where I have outlined areas and left areas to be kind of "poofy". Everyone seems to like the poofy leaves and small areas when they are left.

Have fun and don 't stress!

Thank you so much for your reply Sue. I just really wasn't sure. I was also worried about the blue markings. Can I just spritz the top with water, or should I completely immerse it? Seems like the fabric these embroidered projects are on ravels so darn easily. But there is quite a bit of room between the edges and the actual embroidery for trimming. I just know I'm going to be a nervous wreck when quilt it. I'm only into pantos right now, and so I won't be able to watch that closely at what is going on on the top.

Thanks again.

Hi Diane,

This may be a good time to practice an allover meander from the front. I have done many embroidered tops and your foot can snag. If I do an allover, I prefer to work from the front and see the embroidery as I proceed. It would be easier than trying to do a panto.

I'm not sure if I understood what you were saying regarding the blue markings. Did you mean you were going to try to remove before finishing the quilt? I would wait until afterwards and let the the customer do the removing. Another good thing about working from the front is that you can watch those puckered areas more closely. This way, pressing it beforehand may not be necessary.

Kay

Archived