The cost of education....

Here is a thought that came to my head this morning----

If you quote a price to a customer and after quilting lots of extras or taking a much longer time to execute the designs, you are concerned that you only made $XX.XX an hour on the quilting job.

Better thought---each quilt teaches you something. It may be how to do better SID, how to be faster at a design, how to travel across and down the quilt more efficiently, or even that you aren't ready for something and need more practice at it!! Take that extra time that you used and chalk it up to education!! You would happily pay an instructor big bucks for the hints and tips you "taught" yourself by doing them!

So next time you feel you underpriced your work, think of what you learned while doing the job. It may be that you learned you need to take your time when quoting a price or that it is OK to call the customer back and talk about second thoughts you have about the designs originally decided upon.

If your customer says--do what you think is best--always ask about their budget for the top and what that budget will buy them. If you then go crazy and give them custom for E2E, then you learned something there as well--don't DO that!!:P:P:P

Just thoughts that came when I brushed my teeth this morning--hope it makes the cost of learning easier to take!!

Boy Linda, when I'm brushing my teeth, I thinking about if I have the right end of the toothbrush in my mouth, Where are my slippers, did I make coffee last night or do I need to make it before I can have a cup.......My brain doesn't kick in like this. But it is all good thoughs. :)

I agree! Always wise words come from Linda Rech. :) Thank you, dear.

I have learned that over this past year (starting in 2008) when I really seriously was able to do quilting on my machine (couldn't do much in 2007 because of my broken foot and too much pain standing up---whew! I am so glad I am past that horrible time in my life)... anyway, I have noticed that I am getting faster at quilting. So yes, live and learn are valuable lessons we teach ourselves.

So, please brush your teeth more often and share that wisdom of yours with us! :D

Such a good and positive way of looking at things. Thanks Linda!!

I have learned tons from the quilts I've done and I LOVE what Heidi does. I think that offering to quilt for e2e price, but trying out something custom on a real quilt, is totally a win/win!

PS....all I think about while brushing my teeth in the morning, is how good that cup of coffee is going to taste:P

Great thoughts! I agree that we learn many things through the quilts we do (i.e. Bonnie's starch and steam) an education with pay. Hummmm, I wonder how I can assess the value of self education for tax purposes, LOL? My accountant always asks me how many classes I've taken and their price.

Kudos Linda:D

I learn something new every day and it's part of the great experience!

And....I'm like everyone else!! I don't think I get any inspirational revolutions while I'm brushing my teeth. I'm soooo glad some peoples minds start working before caffeine. I know mine doesn't!

Yep , linda, I thought the same thing with the big quilt I just finished. I learned ALLOT!!! So I really got more than I got paid....(which was a nice amount) I look at everything as a learning experience!!!! I just don't think about it while I'm brushing my teeth!!!:P:P:P linda

Wow my friend, you either brush your teeth after you have been up for awhile or you take really good vitamins LOL. I'm with the rest thinking about my coffee. What a great way to put positive information into our brains. I love it. Just like my cross hatching that we figured I made 6 cents an hour on, it was priceless in all that I learned while doing it. Colleen congrats on your customer quilt.

I agree, every experience in quilting has taught me something. Like this last quit I tried to do. In the end I couldn't manage it, but it taught me about listening to my inner voice. I initially said I Don't think so in my head, but Sure come out of my mouth because the top was so beautiful. I actually "saw" the end result I was working towards it, a first for me, and I learned that what takes 20 mins to quilt, take 30hrs to unquilt....So right now I don't worry about the money I did or didn't make, I'm having fun and learning lots. Maybe next year I will make some money!

My thoughts come at night as I'm trying to wind down and go to sleep....in the morning I'm too worried about fitting everything in the short time I have alone before the kids get up....I'm going over my schedule in my head....

Of course, I never really think about anything until the second cup of coffee...at least nothing important!

Nini

Archived