Superior Metallica--shredding

I have Superior Metallica on the top and bottom line on the bottom--and just practice muslin-bat-muslin--tenson looks good, but after about a minute my thread is shredded--new 4.0 needle. I have the stitch regulator on and set pretty slow, but I was going fast (this just occurred to me) could that be the problem? I'm going to be quilting a mariner's compass--two layers of batik, bat, batik backing. Should I change needle size--or not use metallica--or??? Thanks, Jane

Do you have any 4.5 or 5.0 needles? That might help. Yes, and possibly slow down and only run the thread through the last two holes of the guide before the tension disk. Do you have any thread conditioner (Sewer's Aid -- Holly mentioned above) to run along the metallic thread on the spool or cone? That helps slick it up a bit so it goes through the needle easier. I guess you have to experiment a little.

Jane,

Everyone's advice is right on, and your observation about speed is correct, too. Metallic thread "heats up" from the friction as it passes through the needle, and if your needle is moving fast enough (via your motion speed), it will "melt" the metallic thread from friction.

The silicone acts as a coolant, much like metal workers who slather WD-40 on metal as they drill holes.

Just a side note I want to clarify for newbies reading this who may not fully understand the stitch regulator yet, (and I'm going by the words you chose rather than what you may have actually meant, Jane) when a person says she has the stitch regulator "set pretty slow" it means that she has chosen a long stitch length. It doesn't have anything to do with the motor speed or your movement speed. Motor speed is only applicable in manual mode:).

Another hint you might want to consider is to use invisible thread as your bobbin thread instead of the Bottom Line. With any metallic thread you want a smooth bobbin thread, not cotton, whose little fibers can "grab" the metallic and snap it. Bottom line can work well, but you're trying to go through a total of 3 layers of densely woven fabric plus batting, and the weaker top metallic thread just won't have enough power to pull a stronger thread up through all those layers; instead it gives up and breaks.

With invisible thread, it has a hint of elasticity and can compensate for the stress the top thread receives. If you want to try it, loosen the tension on the bobbin winder a bit and wind the bobbin only half full. You'll also need to loosen the bobbin case tension.

Finally, I agree with Shana on the needle size; normally a 4.0 should be just fine, but because of your unique quilt and all the layers, you may need a larger needle to penetrate the layers and a larger eye to reduce the friction.

Let us know how it's going!

Hi,

Just wanted to say I use metallics often. I use Thread Art brand metallics (actually all my thread is now thread art) and have used two threads of metallic at the same time. Once the tension is set you can go at a decent speed. The key is the tension. It is inexpensive to just try a spool and see if it will work for you.

Good luck

Melora

Archived