Did you name your Machine?

Grammie

Hi all :)

I thought I would join in as I am usually pretty quiet. My machine is Bessie, as that is a name my mom and dad both used alot for silly things, and it is my dad's estate that allowed me to get this machine.

A note to those going to Darlene's for lessons, you will be SO glad. She has so much information and shares it so freely. She is the difference between struggling by myself, and giving up, and really learning so much and becoming confident in myself. Oh. . .and yes. . .her Circle of Life quilt is there and is beyond amazing!!! I traveled clear across country to take lessons from Darlene and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Jan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Hi Pat!

I love your name!

We are glad to have you set up, now for the fun!

Looking forward to our time together in class, call me & let me know how things go! ;)

• 1 month later...

Having two Millenniums, I named them Millie and Mollie. They have their names written on the tops of each. That way, after I bring them home from Carroll IA (each summer), my husband knows which machine goes on which table. Connie even writes their names on thier work orders. I also have a 1955 featherweight whose name is Minnie. My granddaughters love that they each have names.

My new millenium is Nellie. My grandmother Nellie was an extraordinary seemstress. She was born in the 1890's and was a wedding gown seemstress for Abraham and Straus in NYC. Hired at the age of 14 and used the dress she was wearing as proof of her skills. She sewed until she lost he eyesight in her early 80's. She became my hero when she sewed my torn coat at the age of 7. My mother never learned of the incident. It was our secret. I now own her Wilson sewing machine circa 1892. She is my inspiration.

I couldn't resist, I named mine, Millie after myself, as my alter ego. Growing up with the name (Mildred) Millie, you never find a coffee cup or key ring with your name on it, so when I heard Millennium owners calling their machines "Millie", I just had to follow suit! I guess, if I gave her a middle name it would be, Hazel, for my grandma that taught me the love of textiles.

Thanks for all the stories, I love reading them!

My dear friend in Ca called me a Quilting Fairy after receiving her first quilt I had quilted for her.

And it has stuck to me like glue, so she named my new A-1 Tinkerbell as this is my best campion (next to my dh), and she does her magic on everything she quilts. She still thinks it is magic what these LA can do to make quilts really stand out.

• 3 weeks later...

After a moment of thought when asked by my Husband what I would name my machine I said "HEY, ORDER A PIZZA BABY!" Not only does it answer the name question but also the What's for dinner? question!! We call it baby for short now. Where's Mom? She's with Baby! that also has added a few more questions at our house!!

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by huwillquilt

Hi all

when i started to surf here i saw alot of quilters refer to their machine as my millie for the time being i just call it my miller:Dlol someday i might give it a name

hubert

Hi Hubert,

I had to chuckle when I saw that you named your Milli "Miller" and I immediately thought "IT'S MILLER TIME!" Yeah, it's always Miller Time at Hubert's House! :P

Speaking of names, I have been thinking about possible names for my future "baby" that is due to come soon. (I'm probably getting my Millennium some time in spring 2007).

So, I am proud to announce that I am having a "girl" and when she finally arrives, her name will be:

"Mademoiselle Madeline Millennium" wow...say that ten times fast... (but to be safe so my tang don't get all tongueled up, I'll simply call her "Madame Maddie" for short) :P LOL!!

(Yeah, I know...I'm a major silly goof ball for sure) But hey, ya gotta have fun...right???? :D:D

Shana

Archived