Simple ideas for a newbie...

Thanks to IBQLTN2 for info on how to post a photo. Here it is...started it

last Feb. as a BOM at my LQS. A few of the blocks took 8 hours each to do so I want to do a good job. As a new quilter I need SIMPLE ideas as to how to quilt it. SID and a fillers is all I can come up with. I have yet to do any ruler work but am open to suggestions. Thanks ahead of time.

Kim

Kim,

Here is a thought for you as a new quilter wanting to do a nice job on this top:

Pick up some cheap white or beige muslin and lay it across the quilt top over a light table or something so you can see the quilt blocks through the muslin. Then, take a "WATER SOLUABLE" marker and trace or outline a few of the blocks onto the muslin. Now you have a simulated quilt top where you can practice some of your quilting designs before you do the real thing. Give that a try!

Remember: Be careful. Keep any permanent markers or dry erase markers away from this top. Only use a water soluable marker on the muslin that way if it seeps through the muslin it won't mess your top.

It's so pretty. Wow!! I can't wait to see what you decide to do.

or another thought..read this thread. http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=14034&page=1#pid145669

I made one of these out of 1/10" plexiglass and covered the edges in duct tape. I can place it over my quilt and doodle without making a stitch. This helps me decide what to do on my quilts.

Your quilt is beautiful. Please post pictures when you finish it.

Kim those are both excellent ideas! :cool:

I take a digital photo or photos and print them on regular paper then I can doodle all the designs you want plus if you use a lead pencil you can erase them to do it over.

This is also good if you need time to think, it's portable so that you can design whenever the ideas start flowing!

I like to hang the quilt somewhere where I can pass by it often and just think about what might be nice to do that way it's always in the back of my mind percolating away! :P

Best of luck, remember this is supposed to be fun and breathe! ;)

It's a beautiful quilt! :)

Kim, I'd have to agree with Cheryll. That is a stunning quilt. I would practice on a few others before attempting this one. Get your hand steady and your groove going so you'll have some confidence when approaching this one. This quilt looks like it deserves some custom quilting in both the body of the quilt as well as the blocks that make up the border. Please make sure to show us the finished results. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Dianne

What a wowzer! I've seen a bunch of samplers in my day, but this one takes the cake. If you don't mind waiting long enough to watch a DVD and spending a bit of money, I highly recommend Fast and Free volume 3 DVD by Patsy Thompson. She shows how to do many background designs, all pretty easy to do but very beautiful. They are done on a DSM but are easily adapted to longarm. You can go to her website and get a teaser video that shows what she covers. Look under Instructional vidoes. She says in the teaser, you should see the other videos first but though I love them, too, you don't have to have seen them to use this video. I think a beautiful background is what is needed in the cream behind the blocks.

Patsy also has a segment in this video that takes the background design she just taught you and shows you how to adjust them to make block designs so the blocks go with the background. So, basically, she'll show you how to do your whole quilt. I use these designs all the time.

Kim - what a great quilt!!!! I can see why you want everything just right - I would too!! I was in your same predicament just a few short months ago. I saved a few of my quilts for "after more practice" and glad I did. The difference of my work in just a few months is huge but even better is the degree of confidence that has come. A couple of ideas come to mind.

1. If you follow Shana's idea (which is fab!!!!!) you might want to place saran wrap or something clear between the quilt and muslin - then you will be sure not to get any marks on your quilt.

2. I bought kids fabrics that did not need to be pieced - they were great on their own & made little kid quilts. I practiced a different technique on each on. Sold a couple of them and gave the rest to the local church charity group. They are quick to do and are not as boring as muslin all the time.

3. Finally, don't be impatient. It all comes. My good friend, Hester told me that 3 months would make a big difference with continual PPP. She was right and now the next 3 months is even better!!! Now - I plan on the next 3 months being even better!!

4. I bookmark or take a computer snapshot of any and all quilts that have something about the quilting that I really like and put the pictures in a folder called "quilting ideas". I love to look at the pictures and get so many ideas - sometimes more than in the books!! It also shows me what I am striving for when I grow up:P

Your quilt is wonderful!!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I just made payment on a piece of plexi glass and am waiting for the call to pick it up. I've had my Millie (shared custody as I bought it with a friend) for 2 years now and have done meandering and some free form quilting plus a panto or two. You guys have pumped up my excitement level for this project! Next on the buy list is an "Ideas Book". Thanks.

Kim

Archived