Batiks, shredded metallic, "channeling Myrna!

I had written aboiut the shredding problem--and was working on two and partly three layers of batiks, and then I saw the post about "channeling Myrna." Loosening the tension and the sandwich proved to be the answer to shredding--and if I had gone a little slower I wouldn't have had any loopies--but it's my quilt, and it will hang--because metallic thread doesn't make a very cuddly quilt! But the channeling Myrna--that's what I was trying to do after the cross hatching and feathers--it was my first attempt--and I can say the quilt I've enjoyed the most recently (partly because I just had to please me!!) The color in the picture of the entire quilt is pretty true--the other two are off tothe orangy side--and it's not! Once again, you answered my prayers! Jane

post--13461901130734_thumb.jpg

Myrna is great to channel to. But ya gotta meet this chicky in person to get the real meal deal! She's awesome!!!!!!!!! She's the best teacher. So good and so kind. She's soo beautiful (and gorgeous, too)

Speaking of Beautiful and GORGEOUS ---wow your quilt is, too!!!

And, ironically, I have that exact same batik you have for the backer. It's a great batik design, isn't it?

Yes, I saved every scrap--I love all those fabrics--but they sure aren't soft and cuddly! This was a quilt smart design and I'm terrible at paper piecing so it took me a while--

Yes, Myrna is gorgeous--and fun--and I dont' think I ever start a quilt without thinking about something she talked about! It's just amazing how she can run a thread through a class that touches so many different tasks in quilting--and sometimes life!

Jane, your quilt is fantastic. I'm trying to keep up with all of you girls and your topics, but since I'm so new to this I think I lose something in the translation. Who is Myrna? What does she teach? and How do you get one of her DVD's? I've never had any classes on LA guilting besides how to operate my machine. Any suggestions?

Debbie - Myrna Ficken at aquilterschoice.com, and you can google myrna ficken and you'll get her webshots! She's a wonderful teacher, quilter, ideator (new word) and just full of creativity--energy and fun loving! You can order her DVDs online or call her (her # is on the website). Her beginning DVD is really good and if you buy a Hartley Fence, that DVD is also excellent. I haven't tried the fowlproof feathers--but I would bet on it too!

Quiltjunkie! I don't want to even think about retiming the machine! I'll just keep those #5s in a safe place for the next quilter! Thanks for the heads up!! Jane

Hi Girls,

Jane your quilt look AWESOEM, REALLY AWESOME, you did a great job.

Personally I would not run a # 5 needle on Batik or anything else for that matter unless it was maybe heavy upholstery fabric. It will leave a big hole in your batiks........ IMHO. I always use a 3.5, once in awhile I will go to a #4 for if I have a lot of really thick seams. Loosening your sandwich and adjusting your tension was the best thing to do. And yes you sometimes need to slow down. I have been using and started carrying Floriani Threads, they are wonderful, high sheen, beautiful colors and I run them at full speed with no problems or adjustments. I do not have the color chart on my website but will work on it. ust contact me if you all are interested.

Shana you are a sweet heart thank you. I loved having you in my studio.

Debbie, Hi You can check me out on my website aquilterschoice.com: you can purchase my DVD'S there as well. Want classes check out my efents calander. I would love to come back to Colorado and teach classes again.

And last but not least I have a couple of newDVD'S coming out in the spring. Scott Law is busy getting them edited and ready for producing. I am so excited to see them..

PS: anyone wanting to host classes please contact me or look at my events calander on my website to see if I will be near. I do have some classes coming up over the next few of months. Anyone already on my class roster please contact me as soon as possible to firm them up.

Myrna

Myrna, can't wait to buy your next DVDs!!!! Wow, I use Floriani thread for my large, 6 needle embroidery machine but never thought about using it on my millie. I guess if it can take the speed of the embroidery needles, it can take the speed of a longarm. I can't wait to get off work and go home and try it!!!!! Thanks for the info and hope to see you in Virgina again.

That is just beautiful. Great Job !!!

I like the 3.5 also and use 4.0 when doing my decorator jobs in the past with no problem. Can't imagine using a #5. That's really big.

Hugs and again great job

Debbie I will look up sterling Co. I am in Westcliffe. Curious as to how close we are to one another. Gotta go look.

I found ya. 275 miles away. Just under 5 hours.

Grammie Tammie

PS. That Myrna is a wonderful Teacher.

Myrna, We talked about the Floriani, and I had already bought the Superior Metallic...I was a little disappointed that it didn't show up more--I think Shana mentioned using a multi color thread on Batiks. I had 4.0 needles and that's what I used--several--the entire big circle is double--so there were two layers of Batik, the bat, and the Batik backing. Is the Floriani a little heavier--is it metallic--because the metallic leaves a rough surface compared to cotton or polyester. I thought someone had mentioned using a 4.5 or 5.0 for the metallic--I probably didn't read the post correctly! I haven't forgotten the Floriani--I just haven't had any other place to use it! I'll be in touch--interested in the no flowl feathers too! Well, this weekend you should be in Chillicothe..and I'll be at a retreat. I wish it had worked out for you! Jane

Archived