holes left by frogging

I did a crisp batik backing for a customer once and had to frog an area about 24 inches square. It looked like the needle broke threads instead of separating them. I don't know what it looked like after the customer washed it. That quilt went to some foreign country, to his son, and I'll never know unless he brings me another. Thank goodness it was a multicolored batik and didn't show obviously. That batik felt like it still had the wax in it it was so crisp and such a hard finish. I just hope after it was washed it softened up and closed the holes.

I vowed to never do another hard finish batik backing--even if it is a whole cloth backing.:mad:

I hope your customer is satisfied.:)

I keep a spray bottle of water next to my baby - some times just a little spray does the trick. I spray and then just smooth over with my hand a bit. Then let dry prior to continuing to quilt. Wastes a bit of time but seems to work. If the holes don't totally close up, I then add a bit of starch & steam from the iron........... So far has even worked on my batiks......... Drives me nuts to wait for things to dry................. Chocolate and coffee break????

Originally posted by meg_marsh

I keep a spray bottle of water next to my baby - some times just a little spray does the trick. I spray and then just smooth over with my hand a bit. Then let dry prior to continuing to quilt. Wastes a bit of time but seems to work. If the holes don't totally close up, I then add a bit of starch & steam from the iron........... So far has even worked on my batiks......... Drives me nuts to wait for things to dry................. Chocolate and coffee break????

This method works great when its your own quilt and you know how the fabrics were treated before quilting. Its when you get a customer that hasn't prewashed her blues, greens and the horrible reds that spritzing can get you into trouble. I have had several that I did this method to and they colors ran into lighter colors....they all came out in the first wash, but you hate giving a quilt back to a customer with bleeding all over it. SO that's why I stick with just steam on a customers quilt.

Archived