Fleece as a backing

I've just had a customer ask if I can quilt onto fleece. I've sewn garments with fleece (I'm wearing one of them in fact) and it stretches. Is there a good way to mount this on the machine? Are there fleeces that don't stretch?

I'm always up for a challenge, but a stretchy backing sounds like it might be a step too far.

Ferret

I just finished quilting a charity quilt with fleece backing. I pinned the selvage edges to the leaders and it worked great.

Only thing I didn't like is this...several people told me not to put batting in it as it was for a charity quilt...trust me...it still needed batting to make it look nicer. It will keep somebody warm though.

Hi Ferret,

When I load fleece--selvages to the leaders, I am careful not to stretch the edge as I pin. As you roll the fleece onto the rollers, the tension on the fleece will cause it to pull in at the sides. When the top is floated, gently pull the sides of the fleece so they extend beyond the edge of the top the same distance as at the top edge. Pin the top through the fleece. Pin all along the sides every two inches the whole distance of your quilting field. Then clamp over a pin--this keeps the back from stretching any farther. The sides are stable and the whole thing will be flat and square when you finish. Fleece is great and you won't need batting to get a soft and drapey quilt. Have fun and share your project when you finish, please!

Archived