Busy w/e: RWB, Yurtain and Gold Buddah

I have had quite a successful weekend of finishing things for a change. There is my red, white and blue top for a competition called Flying Colours - still thinking about the quilting... made 2 quilt panels for curtains to keep the draught out of the yurt door so it is a pair of yurtains;), and had a go at a ridiculously trapunto stuffed buddah head. A friend gave me a piece of silk that had been treated with fabric stiffener and stretched over a stone buddah head like a mould. I put far too much gold paint on it but wanted to see what would happen. I also realised that I have lost the ability to quilt nicely on a DSM!

LINZI

post--13461901177593_thumb.jpg

Love them all Linz, How did you do the Budda's face? It's wonderful! The RWB is like a blue and white kalidascope (sic?) I'm making for my DIL's church raffle. The blocks are only 7" and since I cut two - one for me - it's been quite tedious... 72 blocks for each quilt..

Love the yurtains and the buddha, which should also look good in the yurt (gur, I think in outer mongolia, which are the only ones I've ever seen)

The buddha looks as if its made from beaten metal.

Looked at your blog today, if you're going to Birmingham we must meet up. I,m hoping to meet up with some of the ladies from Claudias classes in germany, so you could join us too.

Thanks...

I play in my yurt - I light the stove and have coffee with friends or we eat there in the evening. I got it for my kids but decided it was for me! It has lots of rugs and comfy places to sit and a log stove (in a tent! - in the snow) I am going to buy another yurt frame and make the walls from quilted panels for an exhibition next year so I nned to get stuff finished to start working on that!

The buddah head is silk with Stewart Gill metallic paint and a Shiva paintstick rubbed around the edge. It was 3D to start off with silk stiffened with the stuff you use for blinds, stuffed with toy stuffing, trapuntoed with Polydown then backround quilted with more Polydown - it was an experiment. The head is probably a bit too fat and it's quite difficult not to get wrinkles. My friend does them in felt and they are a lot smoother. I'm supposed to be coming up with some sort of trapunto Buddah for Birmingham this year. I am coming down, Veg-Girl, and would love to meet up with some real-life longarm quilters - I just haven't quite told my husband just how many quilt show trips I am making this year so far...

RWB is 16" Kaleeido blocks with random Flying Geese units... the inspiration was Royal Airforce colours, propellors, Red Arrows jets etc. I just decided to use up some crazy prints I already had instead of buying stuff specially so there are prints with crabs, fried eggs, sashiko and camouflage so not at all arty or chosen for colour value - just fun and slightly thrifty!

Avoiding going out to chilly workshop this morning so coffee first and must think about the blog for the week... must do some work to pay for all my trips!!;)

Archived