Caution with pieced batting

ffq-lar

Originally posted by dbz98236

Tracye, I love your quilt, what is it called? Is there a pattern?

Thank you Debbie!

I should have posted this when I put up the picture, but I forgot. The barn is paper pieced from a pattern by Marcia Hohn of The Quilter's Cache. www.thequilterscache.com

I added blue on both sides and used crayons to get the shading on the barn side and lower sky. I used black Marvy fabric markers to extend the roof of the barn over to the left cause it wasn't in the pattern. The rest around the barn is just fussy-cut fabric raw edged appliqued down using the techniques in Nancy Zeiman's (spelling?) Landscape quilting book (great book by the way). I had the chicken panels and just split them up and added sashing and corner blocks to try and get it to fit the finished center/barn square.

Clear as mud? If not just email me. :P

I think it also has something to do with using different battings all together. I have had good luck as TraceyQ, and some that were a total train wreck, but it was where the customer used all the scraps in her basket and used either different weights or different brands....

I would never thought to do it like Tracey, will next time I need to for my own use...I hate to either hand or machine stitch so they just seem to pile up and those big enough for wall hanging get a new life there and the other seem to go into the gun room for cleaning use.

I had a nightmare job once with three different types/weights of batting sewn together with a big zig-zag in bright orange thread. Of course--there was enough light fabric in the top for the orange thread to show through like a big ol' stop sign. The customer didn't care at all and declined to replace the batting. Several years and much experience later and I would have no qualms in refusing the batting (and the quilt job as well.) Did I mention that one piece of the Frankenstein batting had enough dog hair on it to knit another whole dog?

It makes a great story to share!:P

I have really good luck using a method from heirloom sewing with lace, I lay the pieces to be put together on a large table and mark across the seam line every foot of so with a blue marker, then I use a Bernina lace to lace edge foot, (must be like the velvet foot of Pat's) and stitch them together using a large zig zag, lining the blue marks up as I go, the batts stay even and measurements at the end are good. I only do it if the piece I'm putting on isn't too wide, otherwise it doesn't fit well in the Bernina machine. Usually about 36" added is about all I do, just to get past the too small queens:D:D Works best with cotton batts or poly with some scrim, the "wavy" batts I don't do, .....good quilting, Pat

Archived