Flash photography will fill in (remove) the shadows and it's the shadows that show the quilting. You need to take the photo without the flash. Use a light source from the side to cast some shadows. You may need to put the camera on a tripod. Also, get up close or zoom in.

BTW, I can see the quilting in the white spaces and it look great.

1266535F19A9875626B7C8B5E232F348.png

Millenium

tricked out w/ Quiltazoid

I can see the quilting too. Looks very nice from what I see. This is a very pretty quilt.

Kristina at website http://withakquilting.blogspot.com/ and personal blog http://froggybottomquilting.blogspot.com/

Hoppily quilting along with FROGGER - my Green Millennium, and TOAD - my Liberty. Quiltazoid equipped too!

Laura - I can make out some of the quilting. I got so tired of not being able to get a decent photo that I bought a new camera with the close-up feature. With my old camera, I couldn't get that close. And it has the anti-shake feature, I seem to wiggle the camera when I press the button. grrrr.

I turn off the lights and use a shop light from the side to cast shadows and the quilting pops up. Cheap, like less than $10.

post--13461901187888_thumb.jpg

Linda Card

APQS Chat Member since August 2005

Ramona Quilter Longarm Quilting Service (Retired Dec 2013)
Gammill Optimum Plus (sold to a friend Dec 2013)
Ramona, CA (Moved to Central Texas Sep 2014)

My webshots site: http://community.webshots.com/user/legcard (not active)
Blog site: http://ramona-quilter-big-dream.blogspot.com/ (not updated in months)

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Very pretty, Laura! See of you can get another picture with the side lighting...... I would love to see your quilting better!! From what I can see, it is beautiful!! I want to see more!!! linda

B3FC2919DC089FF0E59CD167809B91DF.png

Linda Gibbons

Cabin Creek Quilting

APQS Freddie (aka, Gracie ll)

Hand guided

Beautiful quilt!

Photo advice above is perfect. Turn off the flash, take a breath and hold it, gently squeeze the button to take your picture.

Take lots of pictures. Take more pictures than you think you need then go back and edit to get just the best ones. Digital cameras are great for this aren't they!

The best pictures I've taken have been in direct sunlight. Either coming across the quilt from the window on a sunny day, early in the morning or late in the afternoon, with the quilt on the bed or the floor.

Or outside with the quilt either hanging up or draped over a railing on the deck or a fence and the sun high overhead. LOVE, love, love the pictures I get on the day of the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. :cool:

My camera (inexpensive) doesn't seem to gather in enough light to take good pictures inside and I do get lots of blurry photos. delete, delete, delete those. They just give you a headache! :P A tripod would be helpful in this situation if I'd ever remember to use it. duh...

Unless you have a large format camera and a professional photography studio, it's very hard to get a complete picture of a large quilt. So go in close and take great detail shots. We all know what a full size snails trail or nine patch quilt looks like. So take close ups of the fabric and the great quilting details.

Have fun ~~ Eva H.

Welcome to the garden fresh studio of Cucumber Quilting! Located just east of Prineville, not far from the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show.

QUILTS FOR SALE: CucumberQuilting.etsy.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/CucumberQuilting

I'd agree about sunlight casting shadows so that the spaces between the stitching pop up and show more dramatically. The trouble I have with side lighting is that it is uneven. Maybe I just need more lights. I finally invested in one of those double tripod quilt stands and can now hang it up safely outdoors and see how those shots turn out.

On my camera I have a Macro Feature Button with a little flower symbol. When I press that I am able to get from the normal minimum distance of three feet to within a few inches of my quilting. This is so handy for detail and taken with side lighting or outside, the results are fabulous.

I also alter my photos in photoshop for more detail and a sharper picture. Maybe the natural settings on cameras are supposed to make us older women look less wrinkled. For quilting the greater detail is important so I always adjust for "sharpness". If you have a Mac and iPhoto there is a little box at the bottom called "adjust". Click on that and you will see several options for improving your picture including saturation and contrast which can also bring up more detail in your stitching.

Also the more RAM in your photo when you capture the image will give you more options. Of course, when you post photos though, you will need to go for less resolution, a smaller file, in order to get the photo posted. The internet for web browsing isn't set up to handle large image files within correspondence.

Try retaking photos of your beautiful quilt. And then we can have a better look because there is a hint of what you want to show in your stitching. Good luck.

Vicki

Vicki Bohnhoff

Dancing Stitcher, Anthem, AZ

480-444-9602

dancingstitcher@mac.com

Millennium w/10\' table, Viking Designer SE