WHY are quilters and textile people not seen as "proper" artists?

I know what you all mean by the "difference" between a painter and a quilter. There is a guy in my office who is a painter. He makes beautiful paintings. I bought a 24x36 painting for $700 from him and a 18x24 painting for $500. I thought they were worth it and didn't blink twice. But if someone sees a quilt that I have made that is a full size for example and they ask me what I would sell it for and I say $500, I am told I'm crazy! Or I am told, "I would NEVER pay that much for a quilt." It is my opinion that quilters are artists and we are lucky because our art is actually usable art:)

I think the value of a piece of art is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Think about Van Gogh and the other impressionist painters that lived in Europe 100 years ago... They couldn't give away their art and many died paupers, but now these paintings sell for millions. But that was a long time ago in a totally different era. Nowadays, minds are more open and welcome new ideas and techniques.

Quilting and the styles and designs that come out now are definitely art. Have faith. They (the art snobs) will realize and they will come to see that it is an artform.

Ugh, I tried to read the arty discussion, but it was too chewy for me. I will keep plugging away at the mainstream arts in the UK, but it's very hard to find out what is going on. Also at the moment I am just plain too busy.

If anyone does hear of art shows we could have a go at entering, do share the information. The more quilt entries they get the greater the chance they will actually look at them.

Oh and artist rather than textile artist. The word textile seems to give us away. We are artists working in mixed media. Or as I put in one description non-traditional mediums.

Ferret

I hate to sound sexist but I think quilters or fiber artists are not taken as serious artists is because it is done by women mainly and our work is not as respected as the work men do.

Some quilters are considered as artists. Does anyone doubt that Irena Blume or Sharon Schamber are artists? I think we should not worry about it and go about our work for the pure joy of creating it.

The joy of creating is great, but what do I do with the quilts I create? When I fill my storage do I just bin them? Burn them to heat the house? Or try to sell them? The latter is a lot easier through galleries, who won't deal with crafts, only arts. So if I want to sell my work I do need to try and change peoples perception.

Also as Linzi said grants are available to artists, but not to crafters.

Ferret

• 3 weeks later...

Well I will get myself in (more) trouble today and venture that the photo link above takes you to a piece of art that looks like my stitch-out sample that I use for testing the tension on my Milli.;)

But mine, of course, is not worth as much.:P Unless someone wants to make an offer??

I'm not sure if a kid would have the patients or dexterity to generate the repeat that is present in the representation. If it is a kid, I think it would have to be an old kid.

It could also be the drawing of a section of the side of a pirate ship, old wooden one, done in blue. I'm thinking woodgrain. Possibly ash.:D

You're right. Maybe the kid was more like 7 or 8. But he probably did it out of spite, cuz he didn't get his xbox like he wanted and by that age they know better than to decorate mom's walls... I'll bet when mom got home, she wasn't happy and maybe the 7 year old blamed it on his little 3 year old brother. :P Poor kid.

Or maybe it actually was a pirate ship but I only see the scene where the ship had sunk into the ocean. That's what I see.

Originally posted by kreacher

Well, you are with me on the water aspect of this.

But what appears to be a random mess of blue thread stitched onto something seems, after consideration and some thought, to be quite thoughtful and structured.

That's deep. The water, that is,,, And you, too. :) Very introspective, Kreacher.

I also believe that quilting as thoughtful and structured, but apparently the artsy-fartsy types still consider it a craft, and not art. :)

Absolutely, quilting is thoughtful and structured. It is also deeply imbedded in the world of craft. It can also be art, even fine art. And there is a distinction between art and fine art and don't ask be to describe the differences as they are ever changing.

An example of the changing of the differences in art are in photography. There is fine art photography, photo journalism and the snap shot photography that most people engage in. Snap shot photography, if you will, is the birthday party picture or the family picnic type of photography.

At one time this snap shot photography was looked down on as just crap photos compared to fine art photos. In fact, there was also a big divide between photo journalism and fine arts photography.

Over the years the photojournalism has worked its way into the fine arts realm, or was being recognized as a fine art and more recently there were some people who were starting to look at the snap shot photography as a fine art. Where that discussion has gone I don't know but it was being explored.

In short, the art world is always in a state of change. New stuff is always being included as trends come and go. Perhaps quilts will become more recognized as fine art.

I say more recognized as I have experience quilts in museums. Recently, there was a traveling quilt show in the IMA. That would be the Indianapolis Museum of Art. There was a show of quilts from Ghee's Bend. Ghee's Bend, if I remember correctly, is a place in Mississippi, poverty abounds, and for several generations quilting has been a way of life. But those quilts made it into a museum.

The quilts of Gee's Bend, Alabama, did make it into a museum, in fact, many museums across the country. Jane Fonda was a benefactor of that project. It is a very interesting story. The quilts are beautiful in their own way when you read about their history.

Here is an excerpt from the book:

"The Quilts of Gee's Bend, the first exhibition to document the quiltmaking achievements from this remote enclave, was launched at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, in 2002. . . .[the book -- Gee's Bend, the architecture of the quilt] Featuring essays by scholars from several fields and by the artists themselves, . . ."

SEE they even call the quiltmakers "artists"!

Archived