SR not keeping stitch length - and "parttime" tension problems

Hi everyone,

Well, after Marks maintenance class in Krefeld, I was able to check some important parts of my Millenium. As I have a 12" table I had to mount that black barr underneath the rails for stabilizing. I mounted it as shown in the manual, but this was to high. So I lowered it as agreed with Mark. After this I had to re-adjust the wheels. And that is, when the problems started (what think in my now senior moment).

The head moves smoothly left to right and back; it moves smoothly from back to front, but quite short rolling from front to back. (all wheels are cleaned very carefully).

When I start to stich, the tension is fine for the first inches, than loosens in that way that the top thread is looping. I adjusted the bobbin a bit, and it got better but it still occours. Mainly when moving horizontal, sometimes vertical. I have used the threadcombination since the very first pratice peace and had no problems adjusting it in the normal manor. Bobbins are the same - selfwound.

Using the Stitch Regulator I found out, that it does not keep the stitchlengeth when moving not straight. In loops smaller and smaller stitches are produced the narrower the loop is done. I hope you get what I try to explain.

I checked the sensor case on the carriage. It looks totally close to the wheel. I tried to loosen the srew (?) but I do not dare to use great force. I can not loosen it. Any ideas how to do this? Pushing the wheel of the sensor manually I am only able to move the machine backwards but not forward. Is this normal? With the other SR wheel I can move the head right to left and back with out any pushing the wheel of the sensor the the cariage weel. Well, it slips a bit once in a while. Guess this is ok.

And, when I move the head in SR not quite in slow motion but not fast, it is a kind of jumping.

The table is leveled in all directions, the wheels and rails are very clean, no threads inside the head at the fly-wheel.

Any more ideas? I am clueless. Sorry for the long story. I realy want to finish the top I made at class with Karen McTavish, but with this problems and irregularities I not able to stitch a small rounded curve. It does come out a bit rectangular. And I know I can do curves. You should see my PPP feather....

Oh, happy Valentine

Hi Andrea

Your symptoms really sound like you need another wheel adjustment. Thanks to my very recent Rep Rally in Iowa I have some really terrific resources..oh wait, we all do! You can find these documents on the APQS HomePage. Hope this helps and if you need a translation to German just holler! LOL

http://www.apqs.com/quiltingmachineadjustments.htm

http://www.apqs.com/quiltingstitchregulator.htm

Hi Andrea!!

I agree with Sherry. If one of those little black encoder wheels is slipping you will get those inconsistant stitches. Remember you have to loosen the gold bolt under your carriage wheel to be able to slide the rubber wheel in tighter to the carriage wheel. Hold it in place and then retighten the gold bold underneath to hold everything. It works good to use a ratchet wrence with a 7/16" socket for the underside to loosen and retighten that gold bolt. Let me know how it goes for you. :)

Take care,

Sherry thanks for your offer to translate into German *G But I try it with the original lang. doc.

Ok, will work again on the wheels adjustment.

Mark, yes I do remember how to do this with the gold bolts. Your class was great. I already tried to loosen it, but well, I was not brave enought to tried it with a kind of brut force (sp?). What, if I damage that bolt? (I already have had to damage on screw when opening the side where the fly-wheel is. It stucked so hard, that the opening for the screwdriver was deformed.

I will change all srews to screws with torx head. Just to avoid that this happens again)

Tomorrow I will try my best to adjust the wheels.....

Have a great day and thanks a bunch

Originally posted by mark

Hi Andrea!!

I agree with Sherry. If one of those little black encoder wheels is slipping you will get those inconsistant stitches. Remember you have to loosen the gold bolt under your carriage wheel to be able to slide the rubber wheel in tighter to the carriage wheel. Hold it in place and then retighten the gold bold underneath to hold everything. It works good to use a ratchet wrence with a 7/16" socket for the underside to loosen and retighten that gold bolt. Let me know how it goes for you. :)

Take care,

Hi Mark,

as suggested, I readusted the wheels. Both carriage and head. I have made a mistake there, that caused the machine jumping. Now the machine glides smooth, no diagonal move of the machine itself.

Second step, I managed to loosen the gold bolts for the encoder wheels. When I turn the encoder wheel from the carriage I can move all left/right. Seems fine to me.

When I turn the encoder wheel from the head I can get it to move backwards, but it slips when I try to move it forward. Any ideas why? And I can not get the encoder wheel it closer.

When I move the machine in constant slow speed left or right the stitches are fine. Moving faster, the stitches get longer.

I posted some pictures at: http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=547707213&security=HqBDjh

I made some stitchlines and curves to have a them compared.

Now, what to do?

Thanks a lot and take care

Hello Andrea

Great pictures which will help us help you! This will not help you right now but I do know that Connie and Mark can help you adjust the stitch length on the mother board if that is where the problem stems. Can you call them toll free from Germany? If not I am sure they one of them will be in contact after the weekend.

Hang in there and thanks for perservering!

no Sherry, toll free does not work. But I am able to have a kind of workaround for that telephone bill.

I used the time and made a small top to be quilted one day.

btw, the pics are take with the camera from my mobile. Never thought they would turn out like this. But the big one refuses to take pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to tell the end of the story:

Within a week (remeber I live overseas) I got a new circuitboards. And well, the stitch regulator works at its best.

For sure it is not able to react that fast when I speed up like a race car...;)

So I am happy again and did my first little whole cloth. Have to find a backgroundfiller and doing all the nasty rest of sewing, but the very first quilt will be finished soon.

happy dancing....

Great Thanks to Mark.

Archived