Using Topper to do Baptist Fan

Hi all,

I did these video's for Rita. I thought I'd share with all of you that have Linda and Deny's Topper. They are a little long but you can really see the tool in action.

There was another video out there on stitching this from the back but it was different than when you do it from the front. A big thank you to Joann / Beestitched Quilting for coming over and showing me how to stitch it this way! It really makes it so much easier to line up. Hope you enjoy! If you are interested in the tool contact Linda Rech http://www.topperquilttools.com/

I used a board from R&NS

http://www.rns-design.com/What's%20New.htm

Part 1:

Part 2:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heidi! You are a star!! Great tutorial and thanks for sharing the better pathway for the BF. After seeing it, it seems so logical--but I never would have thought of it!

Heidi is using the plain Topper base with her own extended arm she had a co-worker fabricate for her. Thanks for the endorsement, friend!

Linda,

LOL I had tried to post this video over a month ago. I did it for Rita and was having all kinds of problems. I figured out that Part 1 did upload when I got an email from somebody about it! LOL so last night I uploaded Part 2. It is much longer than it should be but I wanted to make sure it was complete. I hate when it goes so fast and you don't get to really see it! I hope that everybody gets the idea. Joann was a dear to come show me how to stitch it! It really made it so much easier! Rita is in the hospital again so she won't get to watch it until she gets home! I hope she is breathing easier.

Jeanne- I second that motion!! The longer arm would be fantastic, especially for the Baptist Fan. I see from the videos (which are soooo helpful, thank you very much) that I will have to CONCENTRATE! Can't you just feel the brainwaves?!? Again-Linda- do you think a longer stylus arm may be in the works??? Sally in snowy (again) NE Ohio

I'm glad you are all finding the video helpful. Originally part 1 was going to be a test to see how it went and we thought it came out pretty good so just kept it. It is a little repetitive but oh well. Of course the time ended right when I was going to show the end so we had to go to part 2. Hubby does such a good job with the camera, unlike me! LOL it would have been all over the place if I was holding it! He got a better handle on when to show the topper and when to show the quilt for part 2.

Hi all,

I don't know if you all noticed there is a part 2 to this video. I gave a few more hints and showed how it looks once you do the next row. I just checked and there have been 102 views (wow) of the part 1 but 0 of part 2. Not sure if that is a problem with tracking or not but thought I'd be sure to let you all know there is a part 2.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Heidi,

The only disappointing thing for me was that I didn't get to see your face, which I am sure, is just as lovely as the voice that I was hearing on the You Tube videos. :)

Teehee I thought that was pretty great!!!! LOL I thought I did a terrific job staying out of the lime light! LOL I hate cameras!:P:P:P:P:P

The second counter must not be working cause yesterday I watched both videos. The information and visuals were great. Wish I could get one of those sturdier metal arms. The one that comes with the topper is too wobbly, so I don't use it. Have to still quilt from the back when using templates. :( The wooden base now just makes a good (although not cheap) supply holder.

Heidi- Not getting any reply from Linda about a longer arm being made available--what do you think about doing a video lesson using the shorter arm that comes with the topper? Basically, I am unsure how to use the board with the shorter arm and when/how to move the board. Your adoring public waits with baited breath. In case that enticement doesn't work for you, how about helping out a lost soul that needs to see it done to understand. Thanks for your great debut film in any case. Sally in frigid NE Ohio

Hi Sally in (brrrr) Ohio! I didn't see your question about the longer arm for the Topper--sorry! Email me and I can send you some instructions for matching designs as you move across the quilt.

The head of R&D here--cute Dennis my DH--does not plan to offer the longer arm for the Topper.:( That arm was made by a friend of Heidi (I think an engineer). Den's degree is in Mechanical Engineering and the goobledygook boils down to his concern that a longer arm will torque the machine head and twist it enough to throw off the timing. Again:(. It looks like Heidi's addition is rock solid and working well, so I am just shrugging my shoulders and going with the flow! If Heidi's friend want to build arms to sell--go for it--the more the better, I say!

Jolene--I will email you about the problem with the stylus holder--there should not be wobbling, so maybe we can upgrade your holder. If not, we will buy it back from you.

I think we need to hire Heidi and her talented DH to do videos for the web site!!

Archived