feathers

ok so I have been PPPing feathers for a while. They are not consistent. How fast should I quilt to get them to look good each time. I am working with the s/r on and a 9 stitch length. I also make my spine with a marker that fades after a while so I plan on doing a length of it and then coming back to do the feathers. Any advise would really help. Thanks guys.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Take a good look at other peoples feathers. Are they consistent? Really? or do they just fool the eye enough. I often have mine hanging up in the workshop when I teach, and students will swear blind I quilt identical consistent feathers until I point out the variations.

Have you tried drawing (sewing) the feather from each end? Tried the bump bump feathers and ones built on both sides at the same time? It make a huge difference to some people. I am a top down one side then the other.

Personally I get better feathers faster, but then I do most things pretty quick so that may just be me. The things above are what my students usually find make the most difference.

Ferret

My "bump-bump" feathers look like anything but a feather; however, I can freehand them quite well. I usually try to not have the feathers touch each other, but on occasion they do and even then, they don't look too bad.

I agree with the shorter stitch setting--I'm usually at 12.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

If my feathers looked as good on fabric as they do on paper I would be a true artist.

AMEN !!!

Practicing is making them better for me. I run with a high stitch rate for ease but with it at about 9 if the feathers are large and I want them to really show up (like when doing them with metallic thread)

Nora,

What type of feather are you trying to do? Just wondering. I love doing the bump-bump feather, but since learning to do them, my brain won't let me do anything else :) PPP is the key. Then some how it just clicks. You will get it. And like Ferret said, no one really does perfect feathers. I was just looking closely at some feathers in Unlimited Possibilities magazine....there were some inconsistant feathers - but overall the quiltig was beautiful. You will get better.

Something to bear in mind is that some days you can do them with your eyes shut and other days they look like home made sausages or is that just me?

For Lent I am going to give up feathers! I did some on a show quilt yesterday that are atrocious... far too much to frog out so I've ordered some gold ric-rac...

I was also going to use a ruler then remembered I have taken off the thread cutter so my extended base won't fit any more so the plan changed again so when the show entry says "Beginner, Intermediate or Professional?" I'm going to add another option that says "Overambitious Eejit!":P

LINZI

Linzi, you crack me up. Oh, we are into Lent. So does that meant that we will be seeing lots more gold rick-rack from you? :D :D :P

Nora, I know that I struggled with feathers for months before I got my rhythm going on longarm feathers. The machine does move easier at a high stitch length but that makes mistakes harder to rip out. Just a thought.

I do mine pretty fast now except for the hump-bump feathers which I really have to slow down for to do good backtracking. I also like the Jodi Robinson feahters which have that wonderful built-in echo.;)

For me, the quilt dictates the style of feather I use in a quilt. I like my wonky longarm feathers - I can do them in my sleep and I am a bottom-up single spine feather quilter.

I have to practice when I switch from one style to another because the mechanics of the feathers are different. For example there is no backtracking on the longarm wonky feathers.

And I can quilt feathers like crazy but my drawing is truly bad.

post--13461901276705_thumb.jpg

Ditto- whoever said quilt those feathers, put them up and look at them like you would a quilt! You'll be amazed! I honestly think that everything looks better OFF the frame! I just figured that out recently. Back and front both! And you don't have to be a mile away on a galloping horse either! I can't believe the difference it makes getting it off the frame!! I bet your feathers are so good you'll think someone else quilted them! You go girl!!

Archived