micro handles by Hartley

• 2 weeks later...

Re the microdrive handles - I have them but rarely use them. I have a Liberty as well and find that they get in the way more often than not. So I removed them. I do use them on occassion and hesitate to get rid of them - but I don't think they are a necessity. I often outline applique and I find that it's easy as long as I slow down my speed and use a good ruler. I like the Judicator, small and medium size. Have a few others as well.

I'm with you, Kathy. I rarely use mine, but don't want to part with them because I know they will come in handy from time to time. I always scrape the back of my hand when I flip the left one up to use a ruler, so it is either my hands are large or the Liberty just has less space in that area, than the Millies.

• 1 month later...

I use them ALL the time. Got them from day one, which was about five years ago. I don't use rulers though, so I can't say how they work with them.

But they allowed me from the very start to have the same control on the longarm that I have on a domestic machine.

The regular handles are too up in my face to use them.

Robbi Eklow

I got mine from John and love them. I use them for SID (right down/left up) and I use them for small stippling practice (not good enough for the real thing yet). I'm thrilled with them and keep them on all the time.

I also moved my light back like Sheri's, so not heat issues.

Kristina..take out the light and remove the bar. You may have to get some additional wiring to extend it and plumber's tape works great for re-attaching to the two screws that are already at the back.

I can send you pictures of what we did and if you look at page 1, Sheri sent pix of what she did. It makes a world of difference--opens up tons of space and you can see your quilting, even if your thread matches your fabric:)

I love the idea of moving the light bar back. I am on the tall side, so even with my table in the highest position, I still feel like I am looking 'around' a bunch of stuff to see what I am doing. How difficult is it to do this. Keep in mind that I am mechanically challenged and hesitant to fiddle with anything on my machine. Still scared. DH could probably help me, but I just don't think he has the appreciation and respect for my Millie as I do. He would want to be glueing something to it. He is the KING of GLUE.

Oh SHEEEEERIE, will ya help me here?

Peggy

Hey Dory. I just found out that my Millie has a different kind of light than Sheri's. I believe mine is a 2006/07. The light plug is up inside the front plate. No plug on the outside. I might get a chance early next week to call APQS and see if they can tell me which wires go to the light. I'm not even sure my light bar comes off. If it does, I don't see where. Hmmm. Even if I could just get it off, I could probably find some kind of alternative lighting to place in a different spot. It sure would be nice to have that thing out of the way.

I have a 2007 Mili, and I wanted to move my light. Unfortunately, they changed how the light is attached on the 2007 model, and the light fixture is hardwired. No plug. I couldn't figure out any way to move it because of this.

I ended up getting the snake light (from IKEA) which gives really good light, but gets really hot. I also got the puck lights (also IKEA, there are two lights on one cord), and mounted one up behind the needle bar, and one up on the underside of the throat. I have really good light now.

I can switch between lights (good for seeing shadows when using the same color thread as the fabric!) or have them all on at once. :D

Peggy & Cathy...it can still be done, it just doesn't look as pretty. Mine is a 2007 as well. My DH spliced the wires, added some new wiring and the light is now to the back of the machine. He had to get screws that were a bit longer to re-attach it due to the new wiring, but it will work.

If you're interested, I can send you pictures of what mine looks like now. Sheri's is certainly prettier, but mine works perfectly.

Archived