Top verse Bottom Thread - vent kinda

Well, this has been on my mind for a while so I'm just going to bring it to this forum. It's a long story I will try to shorten...

Client (friend) wanted a quilt done for a show, which I declined. After being nagged publicly and privately I finally caved. Okay - biggest mistake right there.

Shortened version: backing is teal with flowers, good amount of solid teal. Top threads are golden brown, white, shiny gold poly. She wanted teal thread on the back. Explained it would 'pop' through to the top and I could not do teal with white or with gold. Asked for a busy back since this was to be quilted pretty dense and I was hoping to use white bottom line in the bobbin.

She could not find a backing that went as well with the top. Showed it to her sewing group and collectively they decided the teal back was the better choice and she was the client so I should do as she requested. Received a call regarding their discussion - and the statement - since I'm the client shouldn't I get what I'm paying for? And a full blown discussion ensued. A bit lengthy. Did explained that out there in the longarm world - an LAer would decline the job (and she got upset with me) but recommeded she consult and if possible go with another LAer in the guild and my feeling would not be hurt at all.

Well that didn't work due to time constraints on the other persons side and she back with me - with the understanding that the back thread will not be teal. (there are soooo many other parts to this that I get upset just thinking about this)

Couple questions, I'm pretty sure teal bobbin is out of the question with most everyone but (1) let me know if you think I am being unreasonable. I don't expect she'll be happy with the quilt back - I know I won't be so I'm not at all happy (to put it mildly) to work on this quilt. (2) I planned on using either bottom line white, or going with golden brown in the bobin and with the white using mono. Are two colors on the back of a show quilt acceptable?

That's about it. On the bright side - I have a quilt on the frame right now that is custom and going in a local guild show. It's going to be so beautiful and I'm so excited to be doing it that I was dancing with joy as I loaded it last night. (after sketching out all the quilting ideas for it). So I'm still doing the happy dance - but dreading loading that other quilt.:mad:

I feel for you. Oh, how we all feel for you!!!!

You gave her good advice, your professional opinion, and a good talkin' to. You are unhappy--she will say she is happy but eventually won't be because either you will give in and do teal on the back and the top will get dinged at the show for "tension issues" or you will use a contrasting thread on the back and get dinged for "poor choice of bobbin thread color". Either way, you warned her, but she will blame you.:(

Sounds like a control issue--and I don't mean with your stitching.:D

(*sigh*) She wants what she wants. It's her quilt. She pays the money. She gets her way. .....But...go for a puffier batting or even opt for a double batt (like W&W and a thin, thin poly) and you will be amazed at how much that will help with burying any thread pokie issues. An added plus is the quilting is terrifically defined with the extra batt.

I truly understand how you dread starting this top--kill her with kindness and fabulous quilting!!!

You asked 2 questions: Couple questions, I'm pretty sure teal bobbin is out of the question with most everyone but (1) let me know if you think I am being unreasonable. I don't expect she'll be happy with the quilt back - I know I won't be so I'm not at all happy (to put it mildly) to work on this quilt. (2) I planned on using either bottom line white, or going with golden brown in the bobin and with the white using mono. Are two colors on the back of a show quilt acceptable?

Here are my experiences with two color threads.

Depending on how thick the batting is...they can work with very few pokies top or bottom...so that may be your first look if she is asking for a smaller or thinner batting.

Secondly....YES. you can have different colored threads on the back...right now I'm working on a all white backer with a red and white top...in the white areas on the top its white on white...in the red areas its red on red..... You Definitely see the wonkies if you aren't careful or a bit shakey...but I would rather have that than the chance of the red top threads poking to the back..

This is my opinion, I'm sure you will get a dozen others so I guess the right answer really is...whatever works for you, and you have a successful quilting time is the right one. If you don't like the pokies, and there is a chance they will not pull back into the quilt after the first washing..I'm not sure I would use a two thread color combo...but do like I am doing whatever is on top goes on the bottom regardless of the backer color.

Sometimes doing this it gives the quilt a reverse use...and they are very pretty sometimes.

Personally I'd write it on the intake sheet and make her sign that she acknowledges that you gave her advice on the backing and thread and she is responsible for the choices. Perhaps if you did a sample she (everyone else) would see what you are talking about!

I agree with Bonnie on the thread and batting. If you use a thicker batting you are less likely to get pokies. I would try to use a closer tone to what is on front rather than a stark contrasting color.

I think Linda gives good advice!

I also don't think it matters what a lot of us would do about different coloured bobbins, I think what matters is individually what we feel comfortable doing. When I was a newbie there was no way I'd tackle the different colours on top and bottom. I'm sure there are many of our quilting friends who can pull it off great because of their experience. Myself, I'm kind of mid-way~ I'm ok using different colours if they are somewhat the same value in colour.

Here's my advice...follow your gut and refuse the quilt, unless you desperately need the business. I'm starting to learn to smooth out life's anxieties, and this sure sounds like one!!!

Sandra

Linda,

Jessica, who often shows us some of her items often uses 2 battings. I have played with cotton on the bottom and wool on top - was really nice. The cotton added some additional stability and the wool the definition. Plus plenty thick enough for different thread colors top and bottom. There still might be a hint of the dual colors just due to changing directions, etc, but hopefully would be minimal.

As to your customer - I agree with the intake order - have everything spelled out (if you do the quilt) including the possibilities of pokies. Make her pay additional (top dollar) for the extra time it will take you to work with the tension issues, etc. Good luck - best luck would be to refuse the quilt.

Everyone is right! :D Did that help??

Yes, Heidi is right, get it on paper. Have her sign a waiver saying you are not responsible for the outcome. You can find waivers online from other quilters if you don't know the wording.

Linda is right too, you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Bonnie is right too, thickness of batting, yada- yada...

Myself, and I am not a good one to quote....I fly by the seat of my pants!! I recently did a kids quilt and used white on the back and black on top...contrast?:o I guess!! But it worked. And the batting was Quilters Dream Blend...so not a thick batting.

So yes, if this is what she wants...have her sign the waiver, get your tension set....and then don't worry about it...there are too many things to worry about in this world besides the pokies on a quilt ;)

Just relax and have fun....that is what we are suppose to do.

I like MB's advice: There are too many things to worry about in this world besides pokies on a quilt.

I just did one for a friend who wanted contrasting thread top and bottom. Yes, some thread came through top and bottom, but overall, you'd never notice it. She was pleased with the whole. As far as judges, they wouldn't like it.

I don't quilt for judges.

Okay, here is my humble opinion.

Do not do it if you are not comfortable with what she is insisting on. You will not enjoy quilting the quilt.

With that being said, I use two different colors all the time. I have used black on back and white on top with no problems. It practice to get your machine to perform the way YOU want it to perform. I rarely use the same color on top and bottom.

You have the best machine and it should be able to perform well -- it just needs tweaking.

Sandra

Hi Kathy,

but dreading loading that other quilt

Please go back and read your message. Sometimes writing our thoughts down gives a new prospective on our ideas and feelings.

I think after you have re-read your message you will have made a decision and my opinion is not needed.

Best of luck. :)

Hi Kathy, wow aren't the folks on this chat a wealth of knowledge? We are all so lucky! :) I can't add to the already extremely excellent advice you've recieved. I just have to agree with everyone.

I have used Bottom Line very sucessfully in the bobbin with a completely different color on top. Bottom Line is much thinner so the chance of pokies is rare, if you tighten and tweak your top tension so you barely see the bottom thread poking up through the hole that the needle makes. When you do see a teeny peek of the bobbin thread in the hole, turn your tension knob loose 1/4 turn and you shouldn't have any problems with top thread pokies showing through the back. Keep in mind that a fatter batting is your friend in this case and give your thread more room space to lock inside the batting area.

If you are not comfortable with a quilt job, by all means, refer the customer to another longarm quilter you know can do the job.

Throughout this past year (2008) it was my first year as a longarm quilter and I had my OWN PERSONAL quilt tops that I did experiments with...things I had not done before. I practiced a lot with two different threads in top and bobbin; tieing and burying threads, doing lots of ruler work, practicing my freehand designs and playing. I felt better practicing and forcing myself to do new techniques (learning) on my own quilts. I spent many hours on my own quilts (I put them on my zipper leaders) In looking back I have several of these personal quilts I have done and practiced and I think I might bite the bullet and put them in a quilt show! I have never submitted these quilts in a show before...really never put a quilt in a show, so this will be my first time (2009) putting quilts in the show. They are my own quilts and the ones I spent a lot of time looking at (staring at) and just playing. When I needed to take them off to do another quilt, I just zipped it off and did a different (customer) quilt. I think doing these quilts pushed me and made me try new things. It was time consuming, but they were my quilts so I didn't care and no deadline. So maybe you can do this same thing? I learned a lot with these quilts of mine.

All this said, I still freak out a bit sometimes with my quilting jobs; I still have a fear I will screw up. I am still learning. But when I get scared, I try to tell myself that I can do it with a little PPP I can do this. So I just want to say, don't be afraid. You can do it.

One of these days a customer like yours will come in with all of the special requests they have and you will quickly and happily reply "Sure no problem! You want fries with that?" :cool:

Originally posted by KathyA

Are two colors on the back of a show quilt acceptable?

I was at MQS last year and spent three days with the judges assisting with the quilts.

Let me just say this is what I learned from them: There are no rules. None.

The end result is what they want to see... how you got that end result is your business. If it looks good, then GOOD!!

Freedom and creativity. It's your quilt. You do whatever you want, even if you want to use more than one color on the back.

No rules.

Well, I was reading this and saw everyone says to get in it writing on paper. Here are my thoughts on that one. I have found that if you are uncomfortable doing something, it is usually a premise that you should pass on it. I being the one who has a hard time saying "NO". I know it's hard to say no. The problem with the paper is.... gals talk. If she ends up not being happy that paper is not going to mean a thing to you or your business. She is going to go to the guild, quiltshop or whereever and talk, talk talk. That paper will mean absolutely nothing to those people who she is talking to. Maybe you could do a sample of the two threads your going to use to show her before you do the whole quilt in it.

Hi - thanks for all the feedback. I hadn't thought of two batts and will go with that. I think I will also go with monopoly on the back. And right again on the paper - it's my reputation - and they don't see the paper....

but dark thread on the back with light on the top - just not comfortable with that at all...

thanks again,

K

Kathy,

I have used different colors, top and back, many times. If you're worried about pokies and can't get the tension balanced just perfectly, try balancing it a little to the back, then get yourself a teal-colored Pigma pen, and color those pokies! I've read here on the chat that that's a time-honored solution, even for the award-winners amongst us.:P

Good luck with whatever decision you make - and don't let the customer "guilt" you into doing something you're not comfortable with.....(easy for us to say, not so easy for us to do!)

Just keep dancing Kathy - - Keep on Dancing!!! :cool::cool:

I like to have fun with what I do, and Yes - I am the Boss!

If someone doesn't like my music.... they can leave!!

It's MY House!!!!! :D:P Rock on!! :cool:

(I like country and classical too!!)

I don't know if you remember the nightmare quilt I had - tshirt quilt with some 4 inch seam allowances, wonky beyond the meaning of the word. I hated doing it and was miserable with the results, but, like many, I have a horrible time saying NO. Well, after this nightmare, I learned to say NO. This customer has another quilt and I was able, though I was sweating bullets, to suggest she use a puffy batting and tie it. She kept saying she learned alot and the next one would be better. I still said NO and now, a few days later, I am sooooooooo glad I did. It is just too much strain on your soul. I am still having nightmares about the first quilt.

Archived