quiltmonkey

Has anyone used their longarm for top stitching only? One Layer??

A lady called me last week and wants me to do some decorative top stitching on a velvet quilt top. She doesn't want it quilted with three layers; only put on the frame and doing some freehand designs over the seams of the top. Has anyone ever done this? Is it possible to do without three layers? Would I have problems with tension? I don't know what to tell her...

PS : It's velvet and she gave me metallic variegated thread to do this topstitching...:o I don't think with the heavy velvet nap that the thread would show much.

I appreciate your words of wisdom and advice.

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Shana I have no idea. My guess is that velvet is thicker so it would seem more like a quilt sandwich but I don't know if it would be thick enough. I agree the thread will probably sink in a lot but if it is thick enough it should show. I'd have her give you a 1/2 yard to test before I committed. That way you will be able to test it and know if it is worth your time or not.

Hi Shana,

Is it a crazy quilt and she wants you to do the decorative "embroidery" on the longarm??

I think that would be better done on a DSM with programed stitches.

If someone was to do it on a DSM they would back it with either tear-away or water-soluble stabilizer. One layer--even a thick layer like velvet, will be prone to puckers if a stabilizer isn't used. Could you load stabilizer to the leaders (very expensive in big pieces, but your customers would pay for that), and then load the top to both leaders (no float) so you can control the top and not have the weight of it distorting the stabilizer. Yikes--at the end the stabilizer will need to be removed. Tear-away is a pain, and water soluble won't work because you can't get the velvet wet!!

Hey, I just talked myself out of trying it! How about you??:P:P:P:cool:

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

:P I already talked myself out of it... ROFLMAO!! Linda thanks so much for 'TALKING ME OUT OF IT!'

Seems like a giant PITA to me...

THANKS for validating my suspcisions... Love you!

Shana

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Nadia, I did a little fun (personal) quilt using velvet (quilted three layers at the same time) and it quilted beautifully. No problems. However, the thread gets hidden in the "grass" shall I say and you can't really see the thread, but the texture design it creates really shows with the velvet. :)

Hi Shana, that's good to know that the hopping foot did not crush the velvet...my thought was based on the years I sewed for others...I used to make highland dance vests for the girls dance costumes and on some velvets on my DSM the feed dogs and foot used to leave a "track"...drove me nuts...I disliked making those vests now that I think back about it. I did purchase a different foot for my machine and that seemed to help. I'll have to try velvet on a top on my machine and quilt it up. I bet couching some of those snazzy threads on the velvet would look good, like Razzle Dazzle or something like that. Hmmm... a few more ideas on the list of things to try....

Nadia Wilson
Nadia Wilson Designs
Longarm Quilting Service
APQS Sales Rep
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island

Text or phone at 250-902-9701

www.nadiawilsondesigns.com

Hello, dear Shana:

I think you might be right to pass on this one but what I CAN tell you is that we do thread painting and 'embroidery' with George on a single layer (plus stabilizer) all the time. Still, since what she's after is visible thread instead of texture, I think it's safe to anticipate some problems with a napped fabric like velvet. Love to you, Nancy in Tucson

Originally posted by kreacher

Thread painted velvet Elvis. Or dogs shooting pool. Just thinking out loud.

Kreacher you make one of these and I venture to bet that it might grab a few ribbons at the quilt shows!

A different thought.....maybe tension is a non-issue here. Say, if she is going to piece the velvet in to a quilt after you've texturized it...the back will be hidden between the layers and won't show anyway.

If that's the case....and if one line of quilting doesn't show as well as you'd like, you could go over it a couple (or 3 or 4) times to get it to stand out better. I've done that before with metallic thread - it shows up beautifully.

Just a thought.....:)

You should have no problems quilting on any of these fabrics. You do have to be careful that you don't stretch the fabric as you load it. NO need to have three layers to quilt. One layer is good also. Don't let yourself talk you out of trying something new for a client; :P but you might want to try it on a sample first!

However, any of these fabrics that have a deep nap will tend to hide the threads. If you want the stitching and the threads to show just quilt over the design more than once, similar to doing thread painting.

Now will we see some of these velvet quilts at MQS this year?

John Mitchell Country Lane Quilting APQS Sales Representative Millennium, Freedom, Discovery

Hi Shana!

I did some decorative stitching in some sashing recently and was very happy with the results. However, I loaded the quilt top with it facing the floor and stitched from the inside of the quilt.

The reason I did this was because I used pearl cotton in the BOBBIN. Is there any way you can do this with the velvet quilt? That way the thread would show up!

I think there's photos of this quilt if you search. It was called Prairie Flowers. I was pretty proud of it!

Email me privately if you need more directions.

Good luck!!!

EC7215C7DCB10E70B7157A658151512E.pngwww.bpawmq.com I dance with my Millie aka "Lola",  in Milton , FL.

Thanks, Ladies! I will talk with this client and give her all of the options... I appreciate you all so much!

Shana - I did that "Summer quilt" for a customer that was just 2 layers of fabric. One batik even - and had no problems! No batting just the fabric - I did make sure that the top thread and bobbin were the same color - just in case!! ;)

I did do a practice sample piece before I told her I would do that quilt.... always fun to give it a try!!

Judi Olson

Garden City Quilting

Love my Millennium!!  :wub:

" ~ Aspire to Inspire before you Expire ~ "