Grip Lite Clamps

I tried the feather lights first. I actually quilted rig over one once, had to frog the clamp. LOL. What I did not like about he feather lights or whatever they are called, is that it took two hand to get the backing to go into the slot and then get it closed. I wanted a 1-handed solution.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if these grip lite clamps have a strong enough grip so that if you need to stretch the quilt a little to make it taunt, they will hold without popping off? I have ones I made that I pin to the edges that hold really well but takes a while to pin one. This would be faster but I don't know if they would hold? Thanks, Kerri

Does anyone know if these grip lite clamps have a strong enough grip so that if you need to stretch the quilt a little to make it taunt, they will hold without popping off? I have ones I made that I pin to the edges that hold really well but takes a while to pin one. This would be faster but I don't know if they would hold? Thanks, Kerri

I have been looking at those clamps as well. I like the fact that it pulls the quilt back more evenlyacross. We have a big AQS show coming to Des Moines, Iowa in October and I keep making my "wish list" of things to look for there. :P If I find all that is on my list, I will have to make a trip to the car to unload by bag ! The clamps that come with the APQS machines (and others) are very hard to squeeze open sometimes. Glad to see some of you have them and like them.

I, too, use curtain rods for the clamp supports. I looked at the Harley ones and thought that was a little pricey for what they do........went to Wal Mart and got two 99 cent adjustable rods, came home and fit them loosely to the roller bars, then taped them together at the joint so they would stay that size. Works great !

I went to the Quilter's Paradise website to look at the clamps and there was a demo of the new quilt loading gizmo that Linda was talking about. Not sure about that ...... I'm pretty happy with the zippers and being able to removed a quilt and then put it back on again without all the pinning and unpinning.

I have been looking at those clamps as well. I like the fact that it pulls the quilt back more evenlyacross. We have a big AQS show coming to Des Moines, Iowa in October and I keep making my "wish list" of things to look for there. :P If I find all that is on my list, I will have to make a trip to the car to unload by bag ! The clamps that come with the APQS machines (and others) are very hard to squeeze open sometimes. Glad to see some of you have them and like them.

I, too, use curtain rods for the clamp supports. I looked at the Harley ones and thought that was a little pricey for what they do........went to Wal Mart and got two 99 cent adjustable rods, came home and fit them loosely to the roller bars, then taped them together at the joint so they would stay that size. Works great !

I went to the Quilter's Paradise website to look at the clamps and there was a demo of the new quilt loading gizmo that Linda was talking about. Not sure about that ...... I'm pretty happy with the zippers and being able to removed a quilt and then put it back on again without all the pinning and unpinning.

For the past 3 years I've been using the Oxo Good Grips Chips Clips from Bed, Bath and Beyond. They've been on the market before these, to my knowledge, and are just about the same thing.

They have a hole in the end where I put my own strap through. My HQ strap was velcro and I pinned on a length of black elastic at the other end from my original clamp to match it, then the elastic goes through the hole on the Oxo Chip Clip and that gives me some stretch. I LOVE these! They work and for 4.99 for 2 - 20% coupon = what a steal! I tell everyone about them, and have never heard of anyone NOT liking them. They have a strip of rubber on each side inside the clamp so it really holds the fabric, and are about 5 1/2 - 6" long. I have 4 sets - and only use these for clamping. Never broke one or had one pop off. I also use them for temporarily clamping on test pieces as they fit perfectly over my 2" poles, so I can clamp on or off a temp piece or a whole quilt for a correction. I use them for everything.

Works like a charm, and for the price, you can't beat 'em! At the local LA group, someone told me they are exactly like the clamps shown on the link. And if you don't like them, you can easily return them and/or you haven't wasted much money trying them out. You might find them at other stores, this is just where I found mine...in luscious red, of course :)

For the past 3 years I've been using the Oxo Good Grips Chips Clips from Bed, Bath and Beyond. They've been on the market before these, to my knowledge, and are just about the same thing.

They have a hole in the end where I put my own strap through. My HQ strap was velcro and I pinned on a length of black elastic at the other end from my original clamp to match it, then the elastic goes through the hole on the Oxo Chip Clip and that gives me some stretch. I LOVE these! They work and for 4.99 for 2 - 20% coupon = what a steal! I tell everyone about them, and have never heard of anyone NOT liking them. They have a strip of rubber on each side inside the clamp so it really holds the fabric, and are about 5 1/2 - 6" long. I have 4 sets - and only use these for clamping. Never broke one or had one pop off. I also use them for temporarily clamping on test pieces as they fit perfectly over my 2" poles, so I can clamp on or off a temp piece or a whole quilt for a correction. I use them for everything.

Works like a charm, and for the price, you can't beat 'em! At the local LA group, someone told me they are exactly like the clamps shown on the link. And if you don't like them, you can easily return them and/or you haven't wasted much money trying them out. You might find them at other stores, this is just where I found mine...in luscious red, of course :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived